Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Big This Way Comes

"175ND-3 2012 $250 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)"

What speaker do those appear in?
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Obsolete
    Oops, sorry. 4429, SAM3, S4600, S4700 among others.

435AL 2012 $325 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

(435BE 2012 $905 each)

For people who buy JBL in Japan

How do they do service over there - do they have spare parts on a shelf or is there a long waiting time?

If a dealer was willing could they get "spares"?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Oops, sorry. 4429, SAM3, S4600, S4700 among others.

435AL 2012 $325 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

(435BE 2012 $905 each)

Parts !

Been there ,tried that . Dealers are not going to risk a distribution deal to sell a few parts. Once the word got out that you broke the contract one manufacturer a guy could lose his entire business - for what ?

I for one ,would not ask again.

Rich

'Now, the 1400 Arrays... Well, how can a $12K loudspeaker be a bargain? It is plain and simple, they are maximizing most of the data points on the compromise list. They are simply not as good as the Everests or the K2s, but they are close and their sound is just damned compelling. I don't think any speaker can please everyone, but the 1400 arrays are simply an amazing loudspeaker that image well enough to satisfy the "audiophile" and dynamic enough to satisfy all but the, "I must have a fully horn loaded system" set. They aren't as dynamic and effortless as their two bigger and more costly siblings, and they do need a big amp, but they are really, really good. I'd put them up against almost any loudspeaker made. They won't best everything, but they won't embarrass themselves either.'

I totally agree with this statement other than I have not heard the K2 or E2. Perhaps the 1400 Arrays are not as dynamic & effortless since their sensitvity is quite a bit lower-by design. However, given the right AMP, these babies simply shine. I may be 'cheating' a bit with my description by having one 1500 Array adding a bit in the LF.

The differences in the materials/construction are not lost with me. Both of those systems look superb!

Actually, the fellow who reviewed the 1400's in Stereophile listed them a 'bargain' @ the retail tag. Since I purchased them at about 50%(delivered) of that amount, I personally consider them a steal.

Just my 2 cents.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    How do they do service over there - do they have spare parts on a shelf or is there a long waiting time?

If a dealer was willing could they get "spares"?
    Harman Japan has a stockpile of replacement drivers.

At one point it appeared that JBL loudspeaker components were for sale in Japan and the 1500AL, 435BE and 045BE were available over the counter. I'm not sure why those components were finally removed from the website. The former President of JBL Consumer certainly seemed friendly towards the DIY folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Actually, the fellow who reviewed them in Stereophile listed them a 'bargain' @ the retail tag. Since I purchased them at about 50%(delivered) of that amount, I personally consider them a steal.

Just my 2 cents.
    I'd call it a steal too. I admit I was a bit cold on them until I heard them... the first listen at the JBL double blind listening room made a believer out of me. Living with them has only solidified that feeling. That said, I realize they are not for everyone, even if they were priced far lower. There is a reason why so many very different sounding loudspeakers exist.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Are you asking me to get grumpy to help me load up the K2s, the ATIs, the 990, the balanced interconnects, and the Monster Z Series cables, and bring them up to your place for a three-for-all?

No freaking subs, no frickin' vinyl, no damned disks, no c-s tubes, just lossless files from your iPod through the Wadia to 990's DAC to fully balanced outputs...

Hope you've got a pallet jack or forklift.
    No pallet jack or forklift... but a buddy of mine and I and one furniture dolly managed to safely bring in a pair of >300 lb. Everests. It isn't something I'd like to do every day, but it is possible.

You are certainly welcomed to bring a CD or even a van full of gear. Do call in advance.

Widget

WOW!!!!
    Just Fan Freekin Tastik!!

They were really good at RMAF a few years back and they even had towles shoved in the ports (idiots!!)

My 1400 BE versions should be here in the next week or so, Would be fun to hear what improvments these would have vs K2's and E2's. (probably the closest I will get)

BTW Widget thanks for your detailed reviews of your findings!!
    Always fun learning more.......

I'm getting to this thread late-- congrats Widget!!..awesome, simply awesome to have the E2s in a home like yours...looking forward to more insights from you about their sound..

Congratulations on your E2's. I've sure enjoyed mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The picture doesn't really capture the overwhelming visual of these beasts in my modest 15' by 21' living room. The listening position is at the far vertex of a 9' equilateral triangle. From that vantage point these beasts fill your view... with eyes closed the intimidation factor is reduced and the music is nothing less than remarkable.

Widget
    I popped into Widgets abode today with a few cd's of my favorite types of music, mostly surf, a little pop and punk.
    I must say that the Everest's almost made me want to get rid of all the gear I've collected through out the years and plop down a down payment on a pair, they sounded that solid and clear. I was amazed!
    But then I'd get board not having anything to do but listen to music. So I'll keep playing with my old stuff to keep my diy half happy and one day maybe I can get that stuff to sound close to what I heard today but now I know it can never be as good.

Thank you for entertaining me sir!

You are quite welcomed "Max".
    I'm glad you came by with those discs... it is always fun to hear new music, and better still when you get to share it!

As for the mighty beasts in my living room, I am becoming more and more mesmerized by them and their capabilities. I still love the 1400 Arrays, but I do think I'll be finding a new use for them... I can't see giving the Everests up as my main system speakers.

Widget

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...As for the mighty beasts in my living room, I am becoming more and more mesmerized by them and their capabilities. I still love the 1400 Arrays, but I do think I'll be finding a new use for them... I can't see giving the Everests up as my main system speakers.

Widget
    It is no use resisting! You've succumbed to the big beasts and I'll bet that you don't walk by them without admiring them lovingly and you might even run your hand across the smooth finish and feel happy. I'll also bet that you're spending some serious selfish time with them too! That has to be one of my favorite pasttimes is being alone with my beauties, remote control in one hand and a cold IPA in the other!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge
    I popped into Widgets abode today with a few cd's of my favorite types of music, mostly surf, a little pop and punk.
    I must say that the Everest's almost made me want to get rid of all the gear I've collected through out the years and plop down a down payment on a pair, they sounded that solid and clear. I was amazed!
    But then I'd get board not having anything to do but listen to music. So I'll keep playing with my old stuff to keep my diy half happy and one day maybe I can get that stuff to sound close to what I heard today but now I know it can never be as good.

Thank you for entertaining me sir!
    I would also like to thank Widget and acknowledge his gracious hospitality. I was able to listen to the "Beasts" on a visit to pick up some packages from Widget (another story). All this squeezed in between my graduation ceremony trip and his Saturday evening in San Francisco. Very nice of Widget to make some time for me.

This was not my first visit with the DD66000 having visited the Harman room at the California Audio Show. So entering Widget’s front room I was not surprised by their imposing presence. I was surprised how they blend into the décor with their curved and fine finish that masks their sheer size. Alas, their size will not be appreciated by all who share the room with them. Neither will their ability to kill any normal conversation in the room. Or maybe even in Widget’s kitchen in the back.

Widget drives them with a modestly powered amp but, given the sensitivity, they have no problem delivering that jump factor that is important to me for life-like sound reproduction. The mid and high systems lay a superbly clean and clear image in the room without the extra bite of transient overhang. The bass… well you just can’t beat it, probably. The sound of a drum set was there in the room with the full weight and impact just as if a drum set was sitting there on left in front of me. These systems work amazing well in Widget’s front room.

The only thing I dwell on now is where Widget managed to hide away the speaker wires. Hmmm.
    David F
    San Jose

Thread Information