Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Something Big This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    This question lead to this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ty-and-Imaging

Widget
    Thanks, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Thanks, didn't mean to hijack your thread!
    Not at all... I just thought it best to create a thread dedicated to a subject I think is interesting and I hope others will too and perhaps they will add their own observations and discoveries.

Widget

JBLGUY
    Hey Widget Congrats on having those beauties in your possession.
    They look So Yummy.

Wish I wasn't 5k miles away or I'd be there for a fun day of listening and reveling.

Hey for me "big" never mattered. Just sound quality. Sweet

Latest Update

As good as the Everests sounded with a mere 80 wpc from a circa 1977 design... premium power delivers premium results! These Halo JC-1s are set to their high bias mode and offer up a full 25 wpc of room temperature raising Class A operation before drifting smoothly into a Class AB bias. All joking aside, they do heat the room, but the sound is quite remarkable and worth the energy consumption! Where the sound was strained before during loud passages, the sound now simply gets louder without strain. I would expect that from any competent high power amp, but the sound down at the lower power levels is also a vast improvement. My old GAS amp was smooth and relaxed enough, but these amps offer up spatial layering and detailing that simply wasn't available with my old standby... and the bass is significantly more taught and punchy.

I have been enjoying the JC-1s with a fellow forumite's JC-2BP preamp... the combo is shockingly quiet, detailed, spatial, and just plain damned good! After these babies are a bit more broken in... I will be plopping my Marantz 7 back into the system to see if I can step back into time without being disappointed. The Parasound Halo Summer sale is only through the end of the week, so if I am going to jump ship from my 1959 tubed wonder I'll have to make the decision soon.

According to those who should know, this combo sounds best in balanced mode... another tempting point to move over to the modern remote controlled world... hmmm.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...I will be plopping my Marantz 7 back into the system to see if I can step back into time without being disappointed....
    IME - won't happen. Upgrades are fine. Downgrades are intolerable. It will eat you 24/7. At least it does to me.

The new amps look good, and balanced mode sure are good new arguments. But then again, there will be other interesting offers as well, which makes the whole damn thing a never ending, expensive, story.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Johnny

but the sound down at the lower power levels is also a vast improvement.

Widget
    I wimped out and got the A21 instead of the mono blocks; but that's the most remarkable feature of the A21, the low-level detail. Mr. Curl designs a nice amplifier.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Very nice amps!! I bet they bring a lot to the table for those superb speakers! Well done.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Welcome to 2012.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Welcome to 2012.
    More like 2003. Better late than never
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    More like 2003. Better late than never
    Yeah!

The fact that they have been in production for nearly 10 years with NO updates, mods, tweaks or changes does say a lot though.

So far my biggest criticism is the heat and the physical size... I am considering placing them in my basement directly below each speaker. With balanced runs this would be the most "correct" way to wire them and aesthetically and comfort wise I think it would also be an upgrade. The amps have a 12V trigger so I would be able to either have the preamp trigger them or use a manual trigger.

Widget

Sounds to me like a decision has already been made

Yeah!

The fact that they have been in production for nearly 10 years with NO updates, mods, tweaks or changes does say a lot though.
    And they're still considered very good amps, especially for the price. Curl hit a home run with the Halo line.

So far my biggest criticism is the heat and the physical size... I am considering placing them in my basement directly below each speaker. With balanced runs this would be the most "correct" way to wire them and aesthetically and comfort wise I think it would also be an upgrade. The amps have a 12V trigger so I would be able to either have the preamp trigger them or use a manual trigger.

Widget
    You might be wise to add a fan while you're at it. Even a little air flow over the heatsinks will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    You might be wise to add a fan while you're at it. Even a little air flow over the heatsinks will help a lot.
    Yep... if they go in the basement I definitely will... fans will extend the life of the amps significantly.

Widget

hello,

congratulations & thanks for sharing, nice pic's aswell!
    maybe, oneday, if i keep up my paper route.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Welcome to 2012.
    Couldn't do it... I'm sticking with the old, get off the couch to change the volume or source Marantz. The JC-2BP is quieter, more spacious, better at resolving detail etc... but there is something strangely appealing about the Marantz... and it's paid for.

Without balanced outs... I guess the long leads required to stick these amps downstairs might not work out.

Widget

Thread Information