Thread: Horn suggestions for Altec driver.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Horn suggestions for Altec driver.

I've got a mint pair of Altec A5's left over from my theatre days. I love them but they won't work in my new home. I plan to build cabinets to house the components, but my 805B horns won't fit. I really want to use my 288-16G drivers and would like to know what horns you may suggest. Something that would fit inside a cabinet.
    I do have a nice set of JBL 175HP's with the angled horns, but they don't compare with the large format Altecs, and I'd prefer not to go that route. I really like the look of the round trumpet style wood horns for a top of cabinet mounting, but not sure if the sound is equal to the looks... plus cost is likely an issue.

Also can anyone suggest a crossover that will support a JBL 075UHF, an Altec 515-16C, and a 288-16G?

Thanks,
    Mike

> IME, the smallest usable horn for the Altec 288 ( still able to maintain an 800hz crossover point with low distortion ) is the Emilar EH500-2 ( a "classic" Radial horn type ) .

> It's sized similar to the Altec 811b / but is made of a much heavier casting & sports a 2" entry throat ( ie; you'll need an 1.4" - 2" adapter ) .

> I use a pair & like them very much ( with Altec 288-8K drivers ) .

> This Emilar horn does come up on eBay from time to time ( though rarely are the offerings had for cheap money ) .

> Personally, I'd just put your 805B multicells on top of whatever box you build & call it a day ( 805s are a relatively small horn compared to the alternatives ) .

Thumbs up

Have a look at some of these.
    No affiliation....but I'm going to run a set of GPA 390's on these....just use the optional adaptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    > Personally, I'd just put your 805B multicells on top of whatever box you build & call it a day ( 805s are a relatively small horn compared to the alternatives ) .

I guess if was able to do that I might as well just use the A5's as they are. The 805's are at least 30" wide, and add another 20+" to the height. Don't have that kind of space. I'm looking for something along the size of an L300. May have to go with those suggested above if that's all there is.

However, why wouldn't one of the smaller JBL 2" horns work (w/an adaptor)? Maybe a 2470, or smaller?

Thread Information