Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who Are You Going To Go Hear?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Just got back from this one. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Great old orchestra hall and fantastic local musicians John D’earth on trumpet, Jeff Decker on saxophone, Butch Taylor on piano, Peter Spaar on bass and Robert Jospé on drums.

http://music.virginia.edu/node/2425
    Wow! John D'earth recorded with Emily Remler. One of the few to tread on that particular part of Mount Olympus. He's on Catwalk, one of my favorites.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Wow! John D'earth recorded with Emily Remler. One of the few to tread on that particular part of Mount Olympus.
    Yes, indeed. And I have both of her CDs on which he appears. She had nice stuff to say about him back then, too.

D'earth is on the Music faculty at UVA as well as performing a weekly gig in the local restaurant/bar made famous for having been where Dave Matthews tended bar before he got his big break. Bob Jospé is also well-known for his Jazz drumming and knowledge of and pedagogy in percussion throughout history and cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D'earth
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello Ducatista47

I am seeing Johnette at a small local venue called The Boulton Center. Great place to see a show. Last time I saw her was in 2012 at Irving Plaza in Manhattan. I watch her web page about once a month to see if she's touring.

http://boultoncenter.org/

Went to see Styx on Friday and Steve Hackett last night. Both venues were using Vertec and the sound was great in both of them.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Actually a post mortem here. Skipped over to Bloomington, Illinois to the Castle Theater and heard Sonny Landreth. Patrolled By Radar opened. Landreth is well known for having a phenomenal grasp of the electric guitar.

Less well known, Bosco Sheff of PBR is a master of the electrified resophonic guitar. He uses a slide but has a fierce electric tone, several of them actually. I kept looking for a Palm Pedal or a Floyd Rose, but his pedal steel type bends are just his hands, like Roy Buchanan, only better. He gets more out of a twelve fret clear neck than anyone I can remember. I have never heard anything remotely like him.

Matthew Curry, tomorrow night at the Castle Theater in Bloomington, IL. I know two of the four band members.

TSO

I saw Trans Siberian Orchestra a couple of weeks ago. Had never seen or heard them but a bunch of friends were going so I tagged along. They are as much a stage performance as a musical performance. The stage show and special effects were spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen so much flame shooting all over the place. At 2 points in the performance the lead guitarist and the violin player were on small platforms the raised up and extended out over the audience, they must have been 30' above the spectators. It was a lot of fun and I quite enjoyed it but somehow not as musically satisfying as a lot of other bands. Some of that may be my lack of familiarity with the music.

Thread Information