Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Are You Going To Go Hear?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    We got tickets for the Garrison Keelhaul Prairie Home Companion NPR Broadcast show At Wolftrap Sat May 25th, and Gordon Lightfoot July 25th also at Wolftrap. (Emma is a huge fan, tho Gordon has had some health problems over the last decade).

Julie Fowlis was tonight.
    Just back from that GREAT SHOW - we got there early & it was general admission so I picked 3rd row aisle seats -
    we were maybe 10 foot from Julie in a small place that only seats 100-Max -
    My first show in that repurposed mansion ... very intimate venue!

Thanks for the heads up on this ... woohoo!
    (took hall pix before the band arrived - didn't want to disturb the music)
    Attachment 58683
    I see her next Sunday afternoon. The bad news is that my young friend is too ill to attend. I will be able to fill the empty seat, but my heart breaks for her plight.

So glad you enjoyed it. How good were they?
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I see her next Sunday afternoon. The bad news is that my young friend is too ill to attend. I will be able to fill the empty seat, but my heart breaks for her plight.

So glad you enjoyed it. How good were they?
    Very sorry for your friend.
    They were very good - I do like celtic music, and tho I don't speak a bit of gaelic, her voice was amazing and the players were great.
    Lots of enthusiasm, great energy. She sang, played pennywhistle and did a bit of piping, tho after 2 shows I have no idea where she had the wind left to fill those pipes ... They started this US tour 2 weeks ago - so they are still pretty energized ... Enjoy the show!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Julie Fowlis Is Coming Back...

...for a Fall USA tour. Details http://www.juliefowlis.com/tours/

I met them (except Eamon Doorley) after the show. They signed my CDs and we talked a little. For a man who may be the best there is at what he does, Duncan Chisholm, a Highlander from Inverness, is a very modest man and very soft spoken. I told him how terrific I thought he is, and he was embarrassed - but he smiled as he looked at the floor and said, "Oh, thank you." His latest CD, Affric, is as beautiful as fiddling gets. Tony Byrne, the guitarist, is amazing but few notice. He never shows off and always plays inside the music. He and Eamon play amazingly together, Eamon generally counterpoint. I can tell they are both hilarious behind the scenes; not surprising for a pair of Dubliners. Julie is either naturally comfortable with her talent and fame, or she is somewhat unaware of them. In addition, when I thanked her for what she is doing for Gaelic and for Scotland, she seemed surprised anyone over here knew anything about any of it.

I sat next to two Gaelic "learners," as they called themselves. The young couple have been studying for two years and were thrilled to be there.

So was Bruce Bergethon, the station manager of WGLT in town there. He is an acoustic player himself and had a keen appreciation for what was going on musically. I called his show, Acousticity (Bluegrass and other roots music, excellent and live for four hours), that evening and he said it was a shock to start hearing live Celtic music at the top. Back on the air, he said "I am still tingling from a concert this afternoon."

I agree, Heather. They are great. What a privilege.

Short notice I know, but I had only two days (after discovery) to get it together and attend this gig. I highly encourage anyone who can attend an Electric Trio Richard Thompson show to do so. See his website for the schedules.

They played several oncore mini sets when encouraged to do so, nearly two and a half hours of music in total. No exageration to say he is at a new peak in his extraordinary powers. How many musicians now working are considered by their fellow musicians to be one of the best instrumentalists in the World AND possibly its most accomplished songsmith? That's right! Only Richard. Unearthly technique in the service of sublime music.

Screw the "great gig" or wonderful show" comments. I was privileged to witness his muse in person, very close up, at a small venue. Privileged and stunned. He's funny, too. Astonishingly, his guitar work is even better in person than on recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well so far Rush, Yes, Ian Anderson Thick as a Brick, Zappa on Haloween, Rodger Hodgsons Super Tramp, Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels. No doubt the list will keep growing as new shows are announced.

Rob
    There's some blasts from the past. Saw Supertramp in Washington DC about 1982 (maybe a couple of years earlier) (at Wolftrap?), it was a great show. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. The sound quality was great, the musicianship was great, the venue was great. The only downside was none of my friends wanted to go, no idea why. I just re-bought several of their albums on CD as I so seldom play the vinyl anymore.

We saw Ringo Starr and the All Starr Band at Wolf Trap June 12th - Kind of a fun mix of combined greatest hits from all parties involved -
    Beatles, Santana, Toto, Mr Mister, Utopia, ...
    Emma said it was like hearing her iPod playlist done live and very well ...
    Only show I can remember with that much variety of nusic was the Dukes of September show (Fagen, Scaggs, McDonald)
    a few years back where they played some of their songs plus a bunch of songs they liked from other bands ...

Ringo is in amazing shape, very animated and fun - I want to be like that at 73!

One website said they have a potential playlist of 60 songs they rotate through the tour
    ... Recommended if you want a great time.

Ringo Starr – drums, keyboards, percussion, vocals
    Steve Lukather (Toto) – guitar, vocals
    Gregg Rolie (Santana and Journey) – organ, keyboards, vocals
    Todd Rundgren (Nazz, Utopia and The New Cars) – guitar, harmonica, bass, percussion, keyboards, vocals
    Richard Page (Mr. Mister) – bass, acoustic guitar, vocals
    Warren Ham (Bloodrock and AD) – saxophone, keyboards, vocals
    Gregg Bissonette – drums, percussion, vocals

Got tickets for Crosby Stills and Nash at Wolf Trap next month ...
    That should be fun too!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Just got back from hearing Steely Dan - great show! I think Jon Herington is the most understated lead guitarist I've ever seen - no strutting, grimacing, or posing. Great playing, though. Anyway, we really enjoyed it, though we were victims of too good seating (2nd row, middle) as the main arrays missed us, and the fill speakers they had on stage were either off or too low to hear. We were left with a really bass heavy mix that was probably 12 or 15db to much bass and enough to make me want to put in the Etymotic earplugs, but those brought the mids and highs down too much to enjoy. Still a great night of listening and laughing at baked old people in the audience
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Motley Crue and Alice Cooper this November in Omaha, NE. "Road" trip of course. Big acts don't often come my way. I outgrew Motley Crue somewhere around 1989. But a friend of mine in KC, a single dad with 9 year old twins, somehow scored 4 tix. I don't get to see my friend much anymore so this is a really good excuse.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

We recently shot up to Park City Utah to see Jimmy Webb in a 200 seat house that owns a beautiful Steinway concert grand and seven rows back it sounded phenomenal. Geeez O Pete can that guy play!

The stories and insights were entertaining and knowing more about how many of the songs came into being makes them even more enjoyable. I still don't get MacArthur Park and likely never will, and that's OK.

I took my parents and my two teens, who were by far the youngest in the audience and we all had a great time. When we got up for intermission my 15 year old boy exclaimed "what a talent that guy is!" Did I tell you the guy can really play?!? My kids were in awe of the musical depth and his ability and my parents were surprised at how many songs they knew but didn't know were his.

I don't normally spend the time to share this kind of stuff but this was one of the best concerts I have been to in a long long time.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The Carl Verheyen band is coming to London next month, I would like to check that out.

http://www.carlverheyen.com/

Julie Fowlis USA tour begins today

Out of reach for me, but a last reminder. Tour starts today.

http://www.juliefowlis.com/tours/

Well not only did I get to see the Carl Verheyen band, I also interviewed the man hmself.

http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/2014/...carl-verheyen/

Free Bridge Quintet ‘Song for My Father’: the Music of Horace Silver

Just got back from this one. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Great old orchestra hall and fantastic local musicians John D’earth on trumpet, Jeff Decker on saxophone, Butch Taylor on piano, Peter Spaar on bass and Robert Jospé on drums.

http://music.virginia.edu/node/2425
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

This month Steve Hackett, Halestorm and Johnette Napolitano

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    This month Steve Hackett, Halestorm and Johnette Napolitano

Rob
    I am so envious. Where will you see her? She lives in the desert in California, not far from James Mankey, and never spends more than a few days away from home.

If you don't have it and she is selling her solo CD Scarred, I had to be persistent on the net to get it for under seventeen dollars. It usually starts at twice that.
    Name:  johnette napolitano.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  26.1 KB

Thread Information