Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Are You Going To Go Hear?

Who Are You Going To Go Hear?

After a long drought of concert road trips, I have two coming up in April. I thought a thread where everyone can post what they are pumped up to go see/hear next would be a nice diversion. Please keep this thread free of "They suck" and "I never cared for them" type comments. This has the potential to be uplifting and fun.

I'll start. April 12th I am driving about an hour to Bloomington, Illinois to hear the Joshua Redman/Brad Mehldau Duo. Redman is one of the best Jazz tenor players working, and at the forefront of the newer guys. Mehldau is a frequent collaborator, on grand piano. I'm going with a best friend who shares music with me every week and is my closest hifi partner in crime.

The next week on April 17th I drive two hours to Davenport, Iowa to hear the Cowboy Junkies in a modest club (my favorite way to hear music). I will probably be solo on this trip. The Junkies have been together for twenty-five years and this is the first time I have managed to hear them live. I am so pumped I get short of breath thinking about it.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Both trips sound excellent.

Cool

Paul Rodgers next weekend in Vegas at The Eastside Cannery
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

In my tiny town this summer I have a budget dilemma trying to decide what to hear. Choices include:

Bonnie Raitt with Mavis Staples
    Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Tedeschi-Trucks Band

This stuff is getting really expensive! All shows are outside and offer grass "seating" as cheap alternative but even those cost $35, $38, and $32 respectively. Real seats are as high as $119 each.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    In my tiny town this summer I have a budget dilemma trying to decide what to hear. Choices include:

Bonnie Raitt with Mavis Staples
    Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Tedeschi-Trucks Band
    Man, good luck. Choosing between those for me would be like which fingers to cut off.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker View Post
    Paul Rodgers next weekend in Vegas at The Eastside Cannery
    I see he is going out in early June with Bad Company through Sweden and Germany. He's a Canadian now so maybe the rest of us in the US will be able to catch him somewhere.

I think you're gonna have a great time.

Clark

Well this Aprill and June The Moody Blues, Greg Lake and Zappa Plays Zappa. Missed out on tickets to Ian Anderson Thick as a Brick 1 and 2. See what else comes up.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Man, good luck. Choosing between those for me would be like which fingers to cut off.
    The beauty of the venue is that, behind the covered shell, the stage is butted against a public street as it passes over a railroad so I can always bring a chair and sit on the sidewalk and hear the groups even if I can only see them below the knees from the side of the "tent". There's a good spot where the backdrop is open and you can see in from behind and above the stage. The groups that use lots of stage monitors actually sound pretty good from back there! Of course any of these alternative are completely free of admission cost, which is nice since I often have to work late and would miss the start anyway. I heard Lyle Lovett's Big Band from behind the stage and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, even if I only caught the second half.

Another advantage of the venue is that my daughter gets to meet some of the nicest people back where the tour buses park:

Name:  Molly and Graham Nash.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  136.8 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Real seats are as high as $119 each.
    I paid about that recently to see a movie! But it was a hell of an experience... Napoleon, the 1927 silent film with a full orchestra providing the sound track.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardma...eon-triumphant

The Movie is 5½ hours long and pretty amazing... at times on three screens to create the look we take for granted today, but mostly I was blown away by the score! With live music it is so much more than THX...

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What a beautiful venue! I don't want to sound dated but "They sure don't make them like that anymore"!

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    What a beautiful venue! I don't want to sound dated but "They sure don't make them like that anymore"!
    It is an amazing venue... they have been restoring it since the mid '70s. It is over the top Art Deco, not just the auditorium, but in the lobbies, the bar areas, it is just insane. There are macassar ebony and wool sofas everywhere, it really feels like a museum, or a time machine!

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    awesome venue...

my favorite local venue is Red Rocks, not as ornate -- but breathtaking also...

[IMG]http://www.redrocksonline.com/portal...ation/rr11.jpg[/IMG]

back on topic, i'm catching Van Halen and Madonna this year with my wife...
    also plan on catching Tab Benoit and some other SE louisiana bluesmen when they roll through Denver...

Dukes of September Rhythm Revue 2012 (Fagen, McDonald & Scaggs)

Just got our schedule for the Wolf Trap center nearby (Vienna VA) and noticed "The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue 2012"
    were scheduled to play Mon Aug 6. Looked it up and its Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs with about 8 or so side folks to fill in the sound.
    I googled them and found some YouTube videos from the 2010 tour and it looks like a lot of fun -
    Looks like a blend of some hits, and then some other stuff they just enjoy playing.

The videos include the GD's Shakedown Street, BeachBoys' Help Me Rhonda, The Band's Rag Mama Rag,
    and a bunch of other stuff - they sounded good and it looked like they were having fun.
    Who knows what they might play?
    I bought a pair of tickets right away.

Hoping for a big fun time, indeed!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Just got our schedule for the Wolf Trap center nearby (Vienna VA) and noticed "The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue 2012"
    were scheduled to play Mon Aug 6. Looked it up and its Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs with about 8 or so side folks to fill in the sound.

I bought a pair of tickets right away.

Hoping for a big fun time, indeed!
    seems like a good move IMHO....

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I googled them and found some YouTube videos from the 2010 tour and it looks like a lot of fun -
    I worked that tour in 2010 when they performed in Richmond, Va. I helped fly the SR system (JBL) and with putting Fagen's Steinway together! I had a blast and then got to watch the rehearsal (about two hours!) from the front row. Fagen was definitely the leader and arranger as they worked their way through the entire set with some new vocalists. Come show-time, Boz was the real crowd pleaser. The way it worked then they all played on each other's hits and then each one took the lead on covers from other artists. Quite a variety, very well performed. One of the better shows I've seen, and it was packed!

Thread Information