Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is everyone using to power their 1400 Arrays?

Back on topic..

At the time I purchased my Arrays I think there were a handful that had either bought them or made them(most, it seems, made them better with upgraded parts?). Still, there must be a few more lurking. Perhaps not just the amps-what does your system consist of in terms of the rest of the gear?

Just curious.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I appreciate the sensibilities

But there is really no way you can be close to having an accurate portrayal of the music, as enjoyable as it might be. Anyway, this discussion starts wars on other forums and I have no wish to do that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

No, no, no!!!!

What might be an improvement in a HT is certainly not in a 2 channel set up of this caliber.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    But there is really no way you can be close to having an accurate portrayal of the music, as enjoyable as it might be. Anyway, this discussion starts wars on other forums and I have no wish to do that here.
    No desire to start a war, and on one level your suggestion makes complete sense, but in my experience the sonic damage done by all but the most extreme pre/pros is far greater than the possible improvement in a simple two channel system. We can discuss the pros and cons at length in an appropriate thread if you'd like.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    At the time I purchased my Arrays I think there were a handful that had either bought them of made them(most, it seems, made them better with upgraded parts?). Still, there must be a few more lurking. Perhaps not just the amps-what does your system consist of in terms of the rest of the gear?

Just curious.
    Current system... factory 1400 Arrays, Hafler 9505, Marantz Model 7(c), Bryston BDA-1, Wadia i170 transport, iPod playing lossless redbook files.

Widget

Attachment 54959

Since the talk of bad rooms came up, I will share mine. I suspect it isn't good, however, right now and until someone helps me 'fix' it, it sounds very good-to me and others who have listened. I bet some of you are cringing at the site and lack of something or the effect of all that glass. So, I guess at some point in the future, I will have an 'upgrade' if I either correct any issues in this room-or I build that dedicated room.

However, as I indicated, it sounds damn nice-to me. I will take all suggestions/comments as I would like to have a starting point to plan 'adjustments' to the room. However, it will have to pass muster with my wife.

By the way, turned toward the window is a nine month old Persian-my wifes. Name of Puff. No, I did not name it. She is a damn cool cat though.
    If it`s not broken, don`t fix it! Sure there are all sorts of room tweaking you can do but consider yourself fortunate to have such a nice system in what seems to be a very comfortable setting, not having to chase the elusive ideal acoustic environment.
    Just enjoy it!

Although I use MF 550K's to drive my Array's, I have tried a friends Conrad Johnson premier 8 valve/tube amps. They were very nice lacked the control over the bass that the SS amps had.

Although we have had this discussion of the forum before, I think it's due to a speaker load mis match with the tube amps. SS amps cope with it much better. Although the quoted soecs are 8 Ohm, when phase angle it taken into account things look a little different. The BIG B&W speakers have a similar characteristic and receive reviews not dissimilar to the Arrays. Both are thought of as remarkable speakers.

The Audio Reserch reference 300 & 600 amps may provide better control as they have a succession of output taps right down to 1 Ohm. I've neaver heard them in a system but from the specs they look to be awesome. Probably cost an awesome amount too.

Name:  Picture 4.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  105.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It looks nice. How about a picture with the room lights off?

A different, darker view and one with a frontal of my wifes cat.

Name:  system 2 011.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  36.5 KBName:  system 2 005.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  69.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Current system... factory 1400 Arrays, Hafler 9505, Marantz Model 7(c), Bryston BDA-1, Wadia i170 transport, iPod playing lossless redbook files.

Widget

Nice. I am curious how that Marantz 7(c) sounds compared to the newer pre's avaliable today? Or perhaps there is no 'sound' - It just works..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    If it`s not broken, don`t fix it! Sure there are all sorts of room tweaking you can do but consider yourself fortunate to have such a nice system in what seems to be a very comfortable setting, not having to chase the elusive ideal acoustic environment.
    Just enjoy it!
    Thanks Mike! I am! Since I don't know what, if any thing is 'wrong' in the room, I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Nice. I am curious how that Marantz 7(c) sounds compared to the newer pre's avaliable today? Or perhaps there is no 'sound' - It just works..
    Other than the spelling of the name and the font there is nothing in common between this old preamp and yours.

I won't pretend the old Marantz is the best pre ever... but it is damned fine, and I just love it's vintage coolness. I've had a few pres both tube and solid state that are a bit nicer (more detailed, a bigger and or deeper soundstage, a bit more wow) and a bit quieter, but I am reasonably happy with it's sonics and just love using it.

Widget

Change is good...

Pulled the Hafler and went back to my old stand by... my trusty GAS Son of Ampzilla. The subtle change sparks the aural excitement like adding a bit of spice to a dish. I think I'm beginning to get the cable thing. Make a small change, and your interest level is sparked up a notch. But I digress...

Back to the question at hand... this amp has ample current, damping factor etc., but is not a suitable substitute for a welding power source. Bass sounds pretty damned good and the mids and highs are just a bit sweeter than with the big Hafler.

Widget

Array 1000 and amp

I just picked up a pair of Array 1000. I'm using a Audio Research Ref 75 and I think it is a great match.

Quote Originally Posted by VJunction View Post
    I just picked up a pair of Array 1000. I'm using a Audio Research Ref 75 and I think it is a great match.
    Ah-ha, I read about your system here 'bouts...

I recently bought a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp. Works surprisingly well with my ersatz 1400 Arrays. Haven't pushed it to clipping but it does sound lively and detailed but for low bass taughtness.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Ah-ha, I read about your system here 'bouts...

I recently bought a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp. Works surprisingly well with my ersatz 1400 Arrays. Haven't pushed it to clipping but it does sound lively and detailed but for low bass taughtness.
    Not sure what the EDPR graph shows for the Array 1000's but sonically seem to hear no limitation with the low end on mine with the ref 75. I'm using the 8 ohm taps as well. Had a Pass Labs X-250 that I used with my last pair of speakers (Dunlavy). Also used the AR Ref 75 on the Dunavy's so I know that combination. Do not know how the Pass would have sounded on the Array 1000's. However I can say that the low end of from the Ref 75 sounded more natural then the Pass.

Resurrection of the thread.....

Has anyone tried McIntosh amps on the 1400's?

So I am thinking of a change up for sh!ts and giggles only. Since I have the two systems I would like to try something different. McIntosh MC601's are currently with 4365 speakers. Thinking of trying them with the 1400's and the Marantz with the 4365's. Last Mac amp I tried with the Array's was a MC402 and I did not like the bass response-highs were great. Curious if the add'l 200 watts and different design would have a significant positive impact.......

I understand the concept of actually CHANGING the amps out to see for myself but, since they are on different floors of the house AND my spinal stenosis, I would prefer to get an idea from someone whom may have experience already.

Thank you.

Thread Information