Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is everyone using to power their 1400 Arrays?

I have never tried Bryston. However, some of you may remember that I purchased the Arrays used from James Tanner-Bryston executive. I posted a review(with his permission)on that thread. He used the 28SSTsquared mono blocks and from his chair, the Arrays sounded damn fine(apparently).

A link for his review: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t-1400-Array-s
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Most Bass issues are usually room related.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    Most Bass issues are usually room related.
    Absolutely!

It amazes me how little consideration rooms get when they are the most important component next to the loudspeakers themselves... I would suggest a pair of average speakers in an amazing room will sound better than amazing speakers in a less than average room.

Widget

I thought I might show the (HK) system....

Name:  System 014.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  65.5 KB

#Just kidding about the HK remark#

Obsolete
    #Just kidding about the HK remark#
    That looks very nice!

It looks nice. How about a picture with the room lights off?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It looks nice. How about a picture with the room lights off?

Why thank you, TD. I took some pics last night but forgot to bring the camera into work today. I will post some night pics later. The lights on the amp/preamp/cdp do turn off.

However, I do not think this system(at least the amps) meet your criterion of what you would buy?

Part of a quote from another thread;

" What I did not want:
    • expensive billet faceplate adding $$$$ to the price
    • a plethora of lights or illuminted meters or Cylon-inspired eyes
    • jewelry
    I say this in jest, of course, as we all have different likes/dislikes. As a matter of fact, I miss those big blue meters from my McIntosh MC402. To each his own. Speaking of owning, I would love to have those K2S9900 speakers that grace your home. That would complete my quest. Maybe someday, somehow. I can dream, right?

A view of a room.

Name:  System 010.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  79.6 KB

Since the talk of bad rooms came up, I will share mine. I suspect it isn't good, however, right now and until someone helps me 'fix' it, it sounds very good-to me and others who have listened. I bet some of you are cringing at the site and lack of something or the effect of all that glass. So, I guess at some point in the future, I will have an 'upgrade' if I either correct any issues in this room-or I build that dedicated room.

However, as I indicated, it sounds damn nice-to me. I will take all suggestions/comments as I would like to have a starting point to plan 'adjustments' to the room. However, it will have to pass muster with my wife.

By the way, turned toward the window is a nine month old Persian-my wifes. Name of Puff. No, I did not name it. She is a damn cool cat though.

Obsolete
    I think is looks great. Those Arrays fit in quite well.

Thanks for sharing!

Shame about that name... oh well, what can you do.

Looks a little tight in there, but basically the geometry looks right. You might want to pile a couple of quilts on that table and see how that affects the imaging and timbral balance of voices.

Widget

You should try a pre-pro with room cporrection

Try finding a used a few years old Onkyo 886 pre-pro and try out Audessey Multi XT, or something else with full-range room correction. Should run you about $600. You have great equipment but with the 1400 Array and Array sub there is very likely severe room issues affecting the sound.

"Since the talk of bad rooms came up, I will share mine. I suspect it isn't good, however, right now and until someone helps me 'fix' it, it sounds very good-to me and others who have listened. I bet some of you are cringing at the site and lack of something or the effect of all that glass. So, I guess at some point in the future, I will have an 'upgrade' if I either correct any issues in this room-or I build that dedicated room.

However, as I indicated, it sounds damn nice-to me. I will take all suggestions/comments as I would like to have a starting point to plan 'adjustments' to the room. However, it will have to pass muster with my wife.

By the way, turned toward the window is a nine month old Persian-my wifes. Name of Puff. No, I did not name it. She is a damn cool cat though."

Looks quite comfortable whatever might be playing. I have the same concerns as Widget about that coffee table, of all things. Maybe some more fluffy cats are needed.

No cats in my room but if that black chair were mine I would be constantly finding one or two dachshunds curled up in it. Sometimes sneeking in between flips of vinyl disc.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    Try finding a used a few years old Onkyo 886 pre-pro and try out Audessey Multi XT, or something else with full-range room correction. Should run you about $600. You have great equipment but with the 1400 Array and Array sub there is very likely severe room issues affecting the sound.

No, no, no!!!!

What might be an improvement in a HT is certainly not in a 2 channel set up of this caliber.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

No, no, no!!!!

What might be an improvement in a HT is certainly not in a 2 channel set up of this caliber.

Widget

I think I agree with you to a degree, although I need more information on the piece of gear I am thinking about. A McIntosh MEN220. Some type of 'room correction system'-I think dedicated for two channel setups. On another, mostly Mac forum, they discuss the numerous pros about this gear, however, from the limited time I have spent there recently, they have fallen out of favor for a few....and it is starting to snowball a little bit.

As it stands, I am leaning toward a dedicated room and no new equipment. Or a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    No, no, no!!!!Widget

I'll second that.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information