Thread: Sensitivity Spec Question on Array 1400

Sensitivity Spec Question on Array 1400

This has probably been answered here before, but I'm not finding it in my searches.

Is the sensitivity spec on the Project Array 1400 (89 dB) anechoic or in-room? This sensitivity figure seems low for this type of speaker, but I can't argue with the results. Any idea why it is relatively low?

Also, am I correct to assume that the peak power handling would be at least twice the rated power (300 W).

The sensitivity of the horn combo is 98 dB (http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/103), but it is padded WAY down to match the sensitivity of the woofer. There must be some big a** resistors in that crossover, because most (7/8ths?) of the mid and HF power is being turned into heat by the crossover. You would need 8 woofers per speaker to get the system back up to 98 dB, which is a little impractical. The WAF on these things is already pretty low.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
    Any idea why it is relatively low?
    It has a nice stiff, heavy cone to accurately reproduce low frequencies. The trade off is relatively low efficiency.

Very recently JBL decided to "get back" a few dB of efficiency with the LE14H-4 model, which lost ten grams of moving mass. The trade off is that it won't go as low as its predecessors. Greg has stated that he prefers the increased efficiency.

[QUOTE=4313B;329567]It has a nice stiff, heavy cone to accurately reproduce low frequencies. The trade off is relatively low efficiency.

Very recently JBL decided to "get back" a few dB of efficiency with the LE14H-4 model, which lost ten grams of moving mass. The trade off is that it won't go as low as its predecessors. Greg has stated that he prefers the increased efficiency.[/QUOTE

Not having heard the LE14H-4, I love the bass of the Arrays. At least now that I can drive them with my amp correctly. Add in a 1500 Array..... The WAF is fine in my house.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Array 1400 at Reference Level

As far as I am concerned, this is stricty an academic question. It is related to the issue of whether the Array 1400 can deliver THX reference level 105 dB to a HT seat 12 feet away. I believe it can (if you have a big enough amp), although I don't know why I would want to run at that high a level. I also have Array 1500s, so bass extension isn't really a concern in my configuration.

Of course, I love these speakers, so I am not exactly unbiased here...

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The WAF on these things is already pretty low.
    I think I've said this before on the forum. My wife loves the look of them and so do all her friends. It's big rectangular boxes they all dislike.

I must admit I did think she wouldn't like them

I want a WAF like you guys have. She hated (yep I'm recently divorced) my SVA 2100s, my B&W 801s, my ADS L1530s etc. Come to think of it, maybe she just hated me. She even thought the L1/Velodyne ULD 15 in the bedroom was a bad idea. How crazy is that?

Thread Information