Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New cabinet for L200

New cabinet for L200

Dear A

New cabinet for L200

Dear All
    I have a pair of L200 (A)
    The drivers are fine but the cabs needed a bit of work
    I had taken advice to increase the volume of the cabs to improve the LF performance but in that process have concluded that i should really make new cabs.
    (the humidity over the 40 years has softened the panels)

In spite of negative comments i have read about the LE15B I intend to use all the original drivers.
    Would appreciate ideas re cabinet dimensions, port(s) , Xover
    (Have the LX16 but would like to add a super tweeter to make it a 3 way, so am happy to ditch these)

It would be nice to maintain a sloping front baffle ala the original cabinets.
    All advice appreciated.

SM

Lots of members here have custom 3 way crossovers. You could always start with just adding an N8000 to your LX-16 for 077 slots or an N-7000 for 075 bullets. Either N333 or 3133 networks would suit what you are after as well. Those were stock in the L-300 and 4333A respectively. I would be worried about a woofer impedance mismatch with the latter option though as well as the cost to acquire. You would need to additionally acquire 136As, 2235Hs or 2231As to really be matched. So your best $$ option in my opinion is either N-7000/075 or N-8000/077.

Oh..... and welcome!

A lot of recreating cabinets depends on how skilled a woodsmith you are ...
    or if you have a good cabinetmaker on hire.

I am not much skilled with wood - so I found a used pair of empty L200 cabinets locally, then later found a better pair.

I started with a 4320 and moved the parts into a pair of L200 cabs, later adding a 2405 slot tweeter, and building what amounts to a 3 way crossover like the 4333 speakrs came with. I later swapped the L15s for 2235s, then swapped them with a pair of 2234s that came in a pair of 4 way Monitors I got. Later on I tried external Smith horns instead of the LE85s, then had custom walnut horns built ...
    Anyway, the point is there is a lot you can do with that hardware ...
    given time to tinker and a growing budget.

Keep your mind and your options open, and trust your ears.

More specifics -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...erdeen)/page15

Quote Originally Posted by highcut28 View Post
    Dear All
    I have a pair of L200 (A)
    The drivers are fine but the cabs needed a bit of work
    I had taken advice to increase the volume of the cabs to improve the LF performance but in that process have concluded that i should really make new cabs.
    (the humidity over the 40 years has softened the panels)

In spite of negative comments i have read about the LE15B I intend to use all the original drivers.
    Would appreciate ideas re cabinet dimensions, port(s) , Xover
    (Have the LX16 but would like to add a super tweeter to make it a 3 way, so am happy to ditch these)

It would be nice to maintain a sloping front baffle ala the original cabinets.
    All advice appreciated.

SM
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

L200

Dear hjames and hatrack71
    Many thanks to u both for yr thoughts.

JBLs are pretty rare in my neck of the woods and swapping and changing drivers wont be possible really.
    The drivers when they are available are v expensf.
    I am v happy to stick with what i have.

But the idea of making them a 3 way is very attractive. i have read that the horns in the L200 dont go too high and the L200 were much improved by the subsequent models ?L200B and L300.
    (I think the L200 is prob the least loved of the old JBLs, but what the heck - dad bought them in '73 - time to keep them going after some improvement).

I am not familiar with the JBL driver nomenclature .
    I take it, hatrack, that the 077 and 075 are supertweeters?
    What are the N7000 and N8000 ? - are they electronics added to the LX16 X Over that would allow it to drive 3 transducers?

Dear hjames and hatrack71
    Many thanks to u both for yr thoughts.

JBLs are pretty rare in my neck of the woods and swapping and changing drivers wont be possible really.
    The drivers when they are available are v expensf.
    I am v happy to stick with what i have.

But the idea of making them a 3 way is very attractive. i have read that the horns in the L200 dont go too high and the L200 were much improved by the subsequent models ?L200B and L300.
    (I think the L200 is prob the least loved of the old JBLs, but what the heck - dad bought them in '73 - time to keep them going after some improvement).

I am not familiar with the JBL driver nomenclature .
    I take it, hatrack, that the 077 and 075 are supertweeters?
    What are the N7000 and N8000 ? - are they electronics added to the LX16 X Over that would allow it to drive 3 transducers?
    Yes! The N-7000/N-8000 are JBL tweeter networks made to be used in conjunction with other JBL networks like the LX-16. Just run the HF out of the LX-16 to the input of the N-7000/8000. LF out on Lx-16 still goes to the LE-15b. From the N-7000/8000 network run the LF to the JBL L-200 horn/driver (pass through), and then the HF to either the 075 or 077 tweeter. Done. Nice thing is they have the same cutout for mounting and are the same size as your LX-16 so it looks stock. Now you just need to find either N-8000/077(2405) or N-7000/075(2402). Not going to be cheap but still the least expensive option in the route you want to take.

Let's see some pics of the cabs. I restored a pair that were all broken up. Hardest parts to find/make are the trim pieces on front. Maybe we can help you fix the cabs? Original is still best to maintain value.

L200

I checked out the N8000 and the 075 and 077 tweeters on eBay.
    Holy the prices that are being asked - USD 500 for the tweeters, another 500 for the X Over!

My original aim was to re do the cabs - i decided to extend the volume of the cab (ala Toddalin's) to improve bass and we were gonna do cosmetics on the husky frail corners of the cabs - but i feel its not woth the effort cause the material is going soft!
    I was looking for cab designs on this thread - i've been recommended 5.5 to 6 cu feet volume.

I think this is the best way forward, with addition of a tweeter (prob non JBL) and a custom 3 way X over.
    So advice re cab design, alternative tweeters and custom X over needed for the original LE 15B woofer and the H-91 horn with LE-85 comp driver.

I checked out the N8000 and the 075 and 077 tweeters on eBay.
    Holy the prices that are being asked - USD 500 for the tweeters, another 500 for the X Over!

My original aim was to re do the cabs - i decided to extend the volume of the cab (ala Toddalin's) to improve bass and we were gonna do cosmetics on the husky frail corners of the cabs - but i feel its not woth the effort cause the material is going soft!
    I was looking for cab designs on this thread - i've been recommended 5.5 to 6 cu feet volume.

I think this is the best way forward, with addition of a tweeter (prob non JBL) and a custom 3 way X over.
    So advice re cab design, alternative tweeters and custom X over needed for the original LE 15B woofer and the H-91 horn with LE-85 comp driver.
    Instead of buying old used crossovers with capacitors that are very old and may have dried out and not be at their original spec anyway, you should build a pair of crossovers (with new parts) made for JBL 3-way systems. Yesterday I gave you the link for my speakers build, and midway through that is a link for the schematic one of the forum gurus shared on building the 3133 equivalent crossover, which should serve you just fine.

Here is a glimpse of what my L200s look like these days.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Personally I would use a pair of 2405H tweeters... they are sonically and electrically identical to the original 077s in the L300 and frequently a fraction of the cost. If you use the top portion of the 3133 as suggested by Ms James, you should do very well.

I would keep an eye out for a pair of 2235Hs as well as you could then use the entire 3133 network and have a very nicely balanced system that is tried and true.

Widget
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 07-20-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Personally I would use a pair of 2405H tweeters... they are sonically and electrically identical to the original 077s in the L300 and frequently a fraction of the cost. If you use the top portion of the 3133 as suggested by Ms James, you should do very well.

Personally I would keep an eye out for a pair of 2235Hs as well as you could then use the entire 3133 network and have a very nicely balanced system that is tried and true.

Widget
    Great advice Mr Widget.Thanks, I like a cheaper option

Excuse ignorance
    What is the 3313?
    The 2235H is a better 15 " woofer right?

Here is the schematic for the 3133 equivalent network - "3133" is the number for the crossover network that would go in a 4333 3 way monitor, which is the Pro series equivalent of the L300 system. This one was updated by member 4313B so it doesn't need tapped inductors.

Thanks ever so much ya'all.
    There's much to do .....

Thanks ever so much ya'all.
    There's much to do .....
    But you don't have to do it all at once!
    You already have a great start!
    Make plans to take it forward in stages!

I started with some cabinet that had water damage but were (mostly) tight.
    I added the supertweeter and built the crossover and got the sound where I liked it.
    Later on I found better cabinets and moved all my pieces over.
    Then did the wooden horn on top even later, with the original driver from the LE85 metal horn (2420 driver).
    Then even later I swapped a larger format horn driver for that original driver ...
    Now I am trying out different tube amps instead of the vintage receivers I used to use ...

Except for the occasional weekend project, all the while I could listen to my speakers and enjoy the music ...

Cheers James et al
    I have sourced the tweeters. Would it be correct that i should get the 8 ohm 2405H tweeters ( i note there is a 16 ohm version).?
    I will get the 3313 made up.

Cabs remain an issue.
    Should i make clones of the L300 cabs? or is there an 'improvement'?
    Where would i find the dimensions in this massive Lansing resource?

I have been recommended 5.5 to 6 cu feet of internal volume.

Warm regards

Thread Information