Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments on 4365!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Any idea what might be required to get a pair?
    The official word as of moments ago is that they are not available in the USA.

And on that note, think S4700.

Same drivers, more "living room" friendly look ?

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Same drivers, more "living room" friendly look ?

jblnut
    Different drivers, seemingly lower end, but according to those "in the know" at JBL it is "extremely dynamic and musical".

Widget

I would imagine that description would apply to any of the newer Array series or any other horn-loaded systems above the Array in the product line...

The big question is why do we have to fly to Tokyo to hear them all (including the new 43xx line) in the same room at the same time to make a comparison ? But that's been beat to death here I know....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I would imagine that description would apply to any of the newer Array series or any other horn-loaded systems above the Array in the product line...
    True, but it was said with more than the usual enthusiasm by those that we tend to believe.

I must admit that when I read the spec sheet, I wasn't very impressed with the new S4700, but having heard the "report" from JBL, I wish I had an opportunity to give them a serious listen... I did see and "hear" them at CES, but the conditions were far from ideal. It was a noisy room full of people chatting etc.

Back on the topic of 4365... it really is a product designed for Japan. The fact that it is available in Europe has more to do with the distributors there than anything else. Big brown speakers are a really tough sell here in the US. I was talking to a customer yesterday who wanted to upgrade her home theater. When I mentioned some floor standing speakers, she made an ugly face and said, "We don't have to go back to the '70s do we?" I tried to explain that modern speakers don't look like the "brown bookshelf" speakers of the past... it was a really tough sell.

I understand why JBL doesn't want to offer too many of these systems over here, though it is a shame for those of us who are fanatical enthusiasts.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    True, but it was said with more than the usual enthusiasm by those that we tend to believe.

I must admit that when I read the spec sheet, I wasn't very impressed with the new S4700, but having heard the "report" from JBL, I wish I had an opportunity to give them a serious listen... I did see and "hear" them at CES, but the conditions were far from ideal. It was a noisy room full of people chatting etc.

Back on the topic of 4365... it really is a product designed for Japan. The fact that it is available in Europe has more to do with the distributors there than anything else. Big brown speakers are a really tough sell here in the US. I was talking to a customer yesterday who wanted to upgrade her home theater. When I mentioned some floor standing speakers, she made an ugly face and said, "We don't have to go back to the '70s do we?" I tried to explain that modern speakers don't look like the "brown bookshelf" speakers of the past... it was a really tough sell.

I understand why JBL doesn't want to offer too many of these systems over here, though it is a shame for those of us who are fanatical enthusiasts.

Widget
    <stereo sound> editor had a review on 4365, he said 4365 is more powerful and strength comparing with relatively mild 9900.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Different drivers, seemingly lower end, but according to those "in the know" at JBL it is "extremely dynamic and musical".

Widget
    After have been studying for these days,i found that JBL seems developed two killing combo:
    1.435AL+045TI (1400array,4338,4348,s4800,only woofers are different)
    2.175Nd+138Nd (s4600,s4700,4429)

4365 maybe the JBL thirdth's combo try:476Mg+045TI (direct from 9900)

Martin
    46 lover

GT said 4365 is a back to the JBL traditional:extension two way system.it mean they will seldem produce muti-way system?i think its not a good idea.
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Have you measured the thiele/small parameters of the 1501FE?
    Not yet.
    Does the 1501FE go as low as the 1500AL
    Yes.

Notice in the 4365 that Greg put it into a 4.2 cu ft box tuned around 30 Hz. In room response is usable to the mid twenties just like the 1500AL.

Obsolete
    Here are some usable numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    <stereo sound> editor had a review on 4365, he said 4365 is more powerful and strength comparing with relatively mild 9900.

Hi,

could you expand on that review? what do you mean about "more powerful and strength"? Also, 'mild' 9900? Does mild = smooth/balanced/beautiful?

i am curious because i am very interested in this speaker. Thanks!!!
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Hi,

could you expand on that review? what do you mean about "more powerful and strength"? Also, 'mild' 9900? Does mild = smooth/balanced/beautiful?

i am curious because i am very interested in this speaker. Thanks!!!
    Tom, you are welcome.
    According to the japanese said(STEREO SOUND editors),someone have complaimed about 9900 for its relatively mildness,mildness in here does not mean smooth... they said 4365 wil be more stronger and punchy
    but i haven't had the pleasure to listen to 4365 by myslf
    BTW, you've just had 1400 inplace of 2600,what are you thinking about?
    46 lover

Obsolete
    According to the designer of both systems, the S9900 is more musical (at twice the price) while the 4365 has greater impact. For those who prefer the sound of the S9900 but the price of the 4365 there is the S4700.

The only thing that bothers me with respect to the 1400 Array is its relatively low efficiency compared to the fifteens.

I'm looking at the Tannoy DC10A right now. I think it is interesting that Tannoy stacks a little ten-inch dual concentric driver up against the components of the 4365 or S4700 around the same price point. That must be one hell of a ten inch driver.

The DC10A will sell for £11,500 a pair when it goes on sale in the next couple of months and, says Tannoy's Tim Lount, is basically a version of the company's popular Kensington speaker in a more modern and stylish cabinet, with some serious added tuning along the way.

And quite frankly, when I sit down and evaluate all these systems the 1400 Array looks more and more attractive. To me it has the least amount of compromises, the greatest bang for the buck. Oh, and the horn is vertical like it should be. Bias the network and call it done. All the other systems, including the Everest II, you have to turn sideways at the very least.

Name:  tannoy_DC10a_scaled.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0963gg.jpg
Views: 3047
Size:  150.7 KBName:  tannoy_DC10a_close-up_scaled.jpg
Views: 2197
Size:  41.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    According to the designer of both systems, the S9900 is more musical (at twice the price) while the 4365 has greater impact. For those who prefer the sound of the S9900 but the price of the 4365 there is the S4700.

The only thing that bothers me with respect to the 1400 Array is its relatively low efficiency.

I'm looking at the Tannoy DC10A right now. I think it is interesting that Tannoy stacks a little ten-inch dual concentric driver up against the components of the 4365 or S4700 around the same price point. That must be one hell of a ten inch driver.

The DC10A will sell for £11,500 a pair when it goes on sale in the next couple of months and, says Tannoy's Tim Lount, is basically a version of the company's popular Kensington speaker in a more modern and stylish cabinet, with some serious added tuning along the way.

JBL expert,but the 9900 has different drivers comparing with 4700
    To me,i just care about JBL horn SYSTEM,Tannoy is out of my sight
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    JBL expert,but the 9900 has different drivers comparing with 4700
    To me,i just care about JBL horn SYSTEM,Tannoy is out of my sight
    Yep. I too balk at the "lesser" components in the S4700 but the end result is supposedly more pleasant than the 4365. Of course we're just yapping here. One has to sit down and really listen to all these systems before deciding what they can live with. For me personally, I'm more interested in the components than the systems. If we are just talking components I consider the 4365 really tough to beat.

Thread Information