Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Loud Party Speakers

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    With a digital crossover/processor, the whole systen can sound very hifi.
    I actually really like the sound of some of those old three knob style 'crossovers'
    by the likes of RLA, Sound Environments, etc...

ancient and pedestrian as they may be considered by some....

not speed, resistance

The idea is to have every speaker get the same voltage by making every speaker wire run the same length.....otherwise you have some output level imbalance which shifts the soundfield. If one speaker has a 100ft run and another only 10 then the resistance in the wire plays a big factor and changes the damping.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    The idea is to have every speaker get the same voltage by making every speaker wire run the same length.....otherwise you have some output level imbalance which shifts the soundfield. If one speaker has a 100ft run and another only 10 then the resistance in the wire plays a big factor and changes the damping.

sub
    I like this explanation better myself
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

I think the 4520,s would be great.. they just are too large really.. I love the sound on the midbass..

For me, RLA style processing would be great a la old school.. there is an amazing article on the Acoustilog site about the Paradise Garage and the sound system setup http://acoustilog.com/disco1.html

I agree that the Truextent diaphragm in the JBL driver is a great option.

&

That the system needs to have more headroom in the mids and highs..

Denver is a beautiful place in the mountains Louped

If I had the space the best system in my opinion for my style music, deep house, nu-disco, tec-house
    2405, wood horns with 2450, 4520 with 2226? or something else probably..and 4 Emerald style w bins loaded with 2242 - Crown Macro-Tech 3600, and a Macro 5002vz.. would use Bryston for mid-highs

I grew up listening to this style system (save with lenses and metal horns) and it thumps and sings and destroys newer high output digital stuff from some companies.. but the options now are starting to make me dizzy, and Im thinking sections of a kit with some custom elements too could be an option instead of 100% custom..

Harmon`s new Marquis system dance stack would be fun to demo.. wonder how much that costs?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Sound travels in speaker wires near the speed of light, that is in the realms of 1,000,000 times the speed of sound.
    1km of speaker cable induces the same delay as 1mm of air travel!
    I think it is a good principle to keep cables as short (and thick) as possible for each speaker, especially for sub duty (damping factor)
    NEVER use speaker cables shorter than 8'. Amazingly, 4' sounds much worse than 8'. Contrary to common belief, shorter interconnects (2 m or less) and longer speaker cables always sound WAY BETTER than the opposite—based on extensive head-to-head tests.

http://mapleshadestore.com/upgrades_cable.php

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I guess they prefer sell you 8' of cable rather than 4'

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I guess they prefer sell you 8' of cable rather than 4'
    That was my first thought... then I thought about their wire offerings... I think they may actually prefer the added resistance. I believe all Mapleshade wires are relatively thin gauge wires. It is possible that whatever the speaker and amp combos that they are using to determine their "oracle's opinion" need a bit of added resistance to perform well.

Then again... even keeping my mind as open as I can, I have to share this:

WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY BREAK-IN DEVICES OF ANY KIND ON OUR WIRES! They will seriously degrade the sound. Use only music to break in our cables. The recommended break-in period for standard Clearview Cables is 30-50 hours; 150-300 hours for cables with PLUS Upgrade. Feel free to install and listen to our cables immediately, they'll sound really good after about an hour. But you won't hear their full potential until they have been broken-in thoroughly.

Widget

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That was my first thought... then I thought about their wire offerings... I think they may actually prefer the added resistance. I believe all Mapleshade wires are relatively thin gauge wires. It is possible that whatever the speaker and amp combos that they are using to determine their "oracle's opinion" need a bit of added resistance to perform well.

Then again... even keeping my mind as open as I can, I have to share this:

WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY BREAK-IN DEVICES OF ANY KIND ON OUR WIRES! They will seriously degrade the sound. Use only music to break in our cables. The recommended break-in period for standard Clearview Cables is 30-50 hours; 150-300 hours for cables with PLUS Upgrade. Feel free to install and listen to our cables immediately, they'll sound really good after about an hour. But you won't hear their full potential until they have been broken-in thoroughly.

Widget
    Let me guess, their return policy is 10 days?
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

JBLGUY
    If you want the lowest end on the planet, you need some of Andrew Vanderkruks "Fatman" folded 18 inch Corner/freestanding Bass horns. This beast is the baddest bass I know of. From 60 to 15hz this thing has no rival. Maybe some straight horn somewhere. I have never even heard close to it's limits....but it must be scary to say the least. True mass volume of air movement and low tone. A true marvel IMO.
    In your situation this would kill all other bass if used in multiples.
    Look up Bentwood Horns.

Do whatever for all the other stuff but without these you will never have the lowest bass. These beast's make low organ and dump truck shake reality.

They are tuned so low that they are crazy efficient and get going very easily. Trouble is....big and heavy.....350lbs of hernia popping fun. Even at crazy DB's the cabinets don't budge or vibrate at all. Part of the cab is a cement like material that has damping like nuts. The woofer chamber is a piece of rock essentially.
    The brick like enclosure is a modern piece of art to me.

PS I have heard these for real in a pretty loud situation with 2400 watts on them. I seriously thought the building was in jeopardy of coming apart. Freaking scary low end and nothing was even nearly at it's limit. We went outside and the brick work and fascias were buzzing earthquake style. No exaggeration I promise. I was actually a little scared we could have building failure. The floor inside felt like it was floating at a certain moment and we turned it down at that point. It was a wood floor on 2x10's.
    I can just imagine these mother's in a club large room situation....watch out mama

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY View Post
    If you want the lowest end on the planet, you need some of Andrew Vanderkruks "Fatman" folded 18 inch Corner/freestanding Bass horns. This beast is the baddest bass I know of. From 60 to 15hz this thing has no rival. Maybe some straight horn somewhere. I have never even heard close to it's limits....but it must be scary to say the least. True mass volume of air movement and low tone. A true marvel IMO.
    In your situation this would kill all other bass if used in multiples.
    Look up Bentwood Horns.

Do whatever for all the other stuff but without these you will never have the lowest bass. These beast's make low organ and dump truck shake reality.

They are tuned so low that they are crazy efficient and get going very easily. Trouble is....big and heavy.....350lbs of hernia popping fun. Even at crazy DB's the cabinets don't budge or vibrate at all. Part of the cab is a cement like material that has damping like nuts. The woofer chamber is a piece of rock essentially.
    The brick like enclosure is a modern piece of art to me.

PS I have heard these for real in a pretty loud situation with 2400 watts on them. I seriously thought the building was in jeopardy of coming apart. Freaking scary low end and nothing was even nearly at it's limit. We went outside and the brick work and fascias were buzzing earthquake style. No exaggeration I promise. I was actually a little scared we could have building failure. The floor inside felt like it was floating at a certain moment and we turned it down at that point. It was a wood floor on 2x10's.
    I can just imagine these mother's in a club large room situation....watch out mama
    So it's a corner horn.... nobody reinvented the wheel here.
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

JBLGUY
    Sorry brother...but that ain't no ordinary corner horn !!!!!!
    I have heard most every other corner horn and they shouldn't be allowed to be called the same name.

And yes the wheel was reinvented!!!

Do you think I would say all that if it was a regular corner horn....not

Most regular corner horns suck compared to the "Fatman"

You just don't know cause you never heard one.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY View Post

We went outside and the brick work and fascias were buzzing earthquake style.

No exaggeration I promise. I was actually a little scared we could have building failure.

The floor inside felt like it was floating at a certain moment and we turned it down at that point.
    wished you hadn't said that.

now i want some of these ...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai..._horns_fatman/

I"ve been to D36

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    unfortunately no....

i'm in denver... and don't make it up to nyc often enough
    (or anywhere else, for that matter)
    I've been to D36 quite a few times. Its an awesome system. If you're ever in the city you should put it on your list of places to go.

Al

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    it is there already!

just need to make some time and take a trip....

maybe I can make it to NYC for some Christmas shopping & general carousing this year...

Thread Information