Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: amp:s

Figge

amp:s

hi i´m gonna change my junky interM soon and thougt i´d spend about 1000 euro on a new amp....what would be the best choise? there is a couple of crown macro reference. for that price. whould this amp drive my 4430 at fullrange? with good results? exept for the fact that the neighbours might have some to say about the reacent increase of money put into audio gear in my apartment! ....i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it. any suggestions on a fine amp in that prize range?
    Last edited by Figge; 06-25-2004 at 11:45 AM.

PSS AUDIO

Re: amp:s

Originally posted by Figge
    ....i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it.
    Before sending him the amp I tested it and listened it too and I'm still alive ....

With a 1000 Euro you can have one from ALLBA in Sweden! Get in touch with them and I will manage modifying one PSS1200 for an audiophile use with their next order...

Figge

Re: Re: amp:s

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    you can have one from ALLBA in Sweden!

yepp! i know! but would a pss1200 drive the 4430 fullrange with deadly results? or would the crown macro do it better? i dont know...macro rated at 750W per channel in 8 ohms. gotta be a killer!.....hmm stupid question! look at scott!

Figge

Re: Re: amp:s

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    I will manage modifying one PSS1200 for an audiophile use

whats up with that? tell me more
    Last edited by Figge; 06-25-2004 at 12:15 PM.

Obsolete

Re: Re: Re: amp:s

...i am very intressted in scotts testing of pss...but he seem to have killed him self with it...
    ...but would a pss1200 drive the 4430 fullrange with deadly results?... or would the crown macro do it better? i dont know...macro rated at 750W per channel in 8 ohms. gotta be a killer!.....hmm stupid question! look at scott!
    Figge I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard and my coworkers are giving me funnier looks than usual.

Figge

PSS AUDIO

Re: Re: Re: amp:s

whats up with that? tell me more
    I drive my 4355 with a PSS600 and it is dam powerful.

You can ask ALLBA to lend you a regular PSS1200 and it will give you an idea.

Beside several settings the next batch of 1200 will receive twice more mains capacitors and as they are from an other brand their sound better, more low mids, better stereophonic image etc ... This is what I call a hand modified amplifier for audiophile use.

About dynamics, a PSS 1200 has 2 transformers of 800Va and 2x40 000MF (20A per side).

Just compare with other amplifiers and you will have an idea of the peaks a PSS1200 can deliver!

Figge
    makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amplifying. fullrange i dont know.
    Last edited by Figge; 06-26-2004 at 08:10 AM.

PSS AUDIO
    makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amlifying. fullrange i dont know.
    My 4355 are driven full range with a PSS600 (this amplifier has 2x60 000MF of mains caps instead of 2x40 000MF)!

Re: Re: Re: Re: amp:s

Originally posted by Giskard
    Figge I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard and my coworkers are giving me funnier looks than usual.
    Yeah allright G, go ahead, and laugh your ass off!

It would take at least a Crest 9001 to even knock me on my ass!

Did I ever tell you about the time I played electrician? And I thought I had the load side wire in my hand and it was the line side, and I put it to the lug with another wire, and BOOM, the whole lug burnt to a crisp and all I saw was this bright blue flash! Well, I am still here and I really did that years ago!

When the REAL electrician arrived to actually fix the problem, he informed me that what I did was to put one 120v leg to another 120v leg, and you cant put to different phases of 120v legs together, nope you CANT do it! I found out, too, the hard way, as always!

Obsolete
    Originally posted by scott fitlin
    Yeah allright G, go ahead, and laugh your ass off!
    Um, I'm not the one who started numerous threads about some amp and a dash for the border with it. I simply found Figge's posts to be quite funny and decided to ride with it all. In reality I couldn't care less about the amp or what anyone does with it.

Now thats the G I know.

Thats more like it! No sense of humor at all! Thats the Giskard I have known on Heritage!

dieterj
    makes sense! also i´ve heard that the macro reference is good for bass amplifying. fullrange i dont know.
    Hello Figge,
    I play my 250tis fullrange with one crown reference 2.
    In my opinion, the sound is also not bad in mid/highrange, very clean
    but with your 4430 (Horn) its maybe little to dry.
    You can go Biamp, and check a Tubeamp for your 2344

Dieter

Figge
    anybody has any experience with CROWN 1400CSL? looks to be a quite powerfull machine.

anybody has any experience with CROWN 1400CSL? looks to be a quite powerfull machine.
    Hi Figge,

I am not 100% sure.....but I think the 1400CSL's got a switching power supply......I personaly prefer transformers. Amps with transformers are more expensive, but I like their sound a lot more.

HP

PS: pls don't forget the 2310 in sverige.....keep an eye on them
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Thread Information