Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL MRX/PRX512 or maybe LSR6332

JBL MRX/PRX512 or maybe LSR6332

Could 3 x MRX512/PX512 be any good for a hometheather/hifi setup?

I've no experince with the 2408F tweeter or the 262h woofer in the 512 so I don't know how good/bad they might be

Or would maybe a trio of LSR6332 be a better choice?

Junk = MRX . I wouldn't use it for a PA at the Prime Ministers funeral ..... the LSR are superb !

I only knew that the 2408 tweeter was used also in the VRX series so I thought it might be OK, but I'll stay away from it then!

Aprox how good are the LSR6332 compared to other JBLs? I know it lacks lowend but I have subs for that anyway

The LSR6332 is a high-end studio monitor while the MRX/PRX is a small mid-line 12" 2-way PA speaker. They are designed for for completely different applications. The PA speakers may be the correct choice if your goal is ear-splitting volume in your living room. There haven't been many successful reports from those who have tried a PA speaker in their home. Ragged inaccurate response is the most common observation.
    The Control 29 is an intriguing low-priced option from the pro side. An 8" 2-way with a horn might be fun or could just be painful.
    I doubt if there are any unhappy LSR6332 owners out there. I'd buy them tomorrow if I had the cash.

I've used both hifi, studio monitors, PA and Cinema speakers from JBL in the past and I have no problems trying it again. If the parts are good enough it's quite possible to get very good results also for hifi/HT use. Remember... many JBL drivers are used both in PA speakers and in hifi speakers, i.e. both K2 and Array use more or less the same HF drivers as PA speakers.

Present I use slightly modified JBL 8340 in my HT setup (I've replaced the HF driver with Selenium) and they sound OK but I want to upgrade, especially since the system is also used for music

I can get 3xLSR speakers but I can not listem to them first since they are too far away. I have a pair of 4412 that are kind of the same speaker, but hopefully the LSR6332 is much better My biggest concern is that for HT use, horns probably are a better choice... but I might give it a try anyway.

How about just some Performance Series stuff instead of the ideas above? I had LSR's and plenty of PA stuff, but I like the PS stuff better.

The performanceseries is not avialable in Europe Otherwise I would really like to try 3xPT800

Avoid MRX.

Thanx for your answers! I'll stay away from MRX/PRX512 but I'm not sure about what to do about LSRs yet

Try to find some 37**,or 46**,maybe more suitable than 6332
    46 lover

The Harman listening room uses LSR 6332s in a surround setup

It is their reference listening point for their sound. Should be decent enough.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...reference.html

At least here in the states you can find used LSR32s for around $600 a pair if you look hard enough.

Obsolete
    It is their reference listening point for their sound. Should be decent enough.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...reference.html

At least here in the states you can find used LSR32s for around $600 a pair if you look hard enough.
    I'm kind of curious as to what kind of DSP folks with LSR32's are using to get them to sound decent.

My experience is limited to just one pair in two different rooms with two different back ends and after listening to them for awhile I agreed with Greg that the midrange was jacked. He thought that the LSR28 would be the better choice in that series. I suspect the Century Gold remains the better twelve-inch three way system for home use. Too bad it was limited edition.

I think Drew Daniels had a successful LSR32 setup but I don't know any of the details.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Try to find some 37**,or 46**,maybe more suitable than 6332
    A few years ago I had a trio of 4673a but I didn't like them very much, especially the 2446/2380 combo did not sound good But I am considering 3x3678, I think maybe the HF on them are better suited for my use than 4673a were.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm kind of curious as to what kind of DSP folks with LSR32's are using to get them to sound decent.

My experience is limited to just one pair in two different rooms with two different back ends and after listening to them for awhile I agreed with Greg that the midrange was jacked. .
    I have no experince with the LSR series at all, I've just read that many people liked them but what you are saying doesn't sound too promising..

I'll vote for the lsr

I have and use the 6332 for my 2ch home theater and enjoy them. I agree with 4313b that sometimes I think something is odd with the midrange. On the otherside sometimes I'm in love with it and find it detailed and enjoyable. A strong aspect of them that I enjoy is their lack of distortion at higher levels. If I'm watching a movie that has an action scene with alot going on I hear everything clearly and they don't miss a thing. This could very for you because I'm unsure of how high of a level you are going for and your distance from the speakers.

For home theater use I would say their strongest aspect is the clarity in reproducing dialogue. I don't find my self reaching to turn it up or rewinding after one of those "wait what did they just say" moments.

If you do go with the lsr I suggest budgeting a good amount for the amp and spending alot of time trying various placements.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I suspect the Century Gold remains the better twelve-inch three way system for home use. Too bad it was limited edition.
    have never seen either , but was wondering how the 120Ti compares with the Century Gold ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information