Thread: New JBL model S4700 debuts at Audio Video Logic

New JBL model S4700 debuts at Audio Video Logic

JBL announced the S4700 at winter CES in January 2012 with a retail price of $20,000 pair US. They are meant to fill in the hole in the JBL Synthesis line between the 1400 Array at $12,000 pair and the K2 at $44,000 pair. The pair we ordered for our store came in today so they still need some break in before serious listening begins, but initial impressions are very encouraging. I would describe this speaker as a budget version of the K2 as it has a similar configuration, a three way vented floor standing speaker with a two way top end using compression drivers and horns. It uses one each 15 inch woofer, 1.75 inch titanium compression driver with biradial horn for the midrange, and a .75 inch titanium compression driver with biradial horn as a super tweeter. The cabinets are attractive in a dark cherry finish. The savings, compared to K2, appear to come from a lighter built cabinet that does not have the midrange horn sculpted into the baffle board. Also helping to keep costs down are smaller format compression drivers and the use of titanium diaphragms rather than magnesium or beryllium. Also the woofer uses a neodymium magnet rather than ALNICO with a 3 inch voice coil instead of 4 inch.
    The woofer has a new and novel dual drive voice coil with a patent pending. The voice coil uses special wire that is very thermally insensitive which reduces dynamic compression as signal is increased as it does not heat up. Dual voice coils allow more wire in the gap which is necessary since this special wire would contribute to an undesirably low sensitivity otherwise. Sensitivity is rated at 94db and bass cut off is quoted at 38hz minus 6 db. We have them in a very large room, 25 feet wide x 38 feet long x 9.5 high. Considering they are just out of the box, they sound very well balanced, clean and dynamic with good bass extension. For more infomation give Audio Video Logic a call at 515-727-2279 or email us at [email protected]. Our website is www.audiovideologic.com. Our store is celebrating it's 21st anniversary in the Des Moines, Iowa area. Thanks for reading. John

that's great to hear! -pun intended...pls. update us on your listening impressions once it settles in...i'm particularly interested how better is it vs. the array 1400s...

cheers

Thanks for sharing... I know I would appreciate a more thorough comparison to other JBLs in your shop when you have the time... wish I was closer, I'd love to pop by and give the whole range an audition there at one location!

Widget

in the area

John,

I may be driving through the area next month for business. Although I don't have the means to buy any of the new equipment you have, at least with keeping my house, I'd sure like to hear them!

I am so curious on how the new speakers sound.

Brett

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    Also helping to keep costs down are smaller format compression drivers and the use of titanium diaphragms rather than magnesium or beryllium.
    I think in another thread on here everyone decided that titanium was perfectly fine after all.
    Also the woofer uses a neodymium magnet rather than ALNICO with a 3 inch voice coil instead of 4 inch.
    The woofer has a new and novel dual drive voice coil with a patent pending. The voice coil uses special wire that is very thermally insensitive which reduces dynamic compression as signal is increased as it does not heat up. Dual voice coils allow more wire in the gap which is necessary since this special wire would contribute to an undesirably low sensitivity otherwise.
    Rumor has it that JBL would like this kind of design to be the normal if neo stabilizes. Everyone seems pretty happy with it at JBL. The weight is very tantalizing. That's one major drawback to the 1500AL series drivers, they're just too big and heavy.

Obsolete
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We get lots of travelers through the store on business or vacation trips just taking in all of the gear. Make sure you introduce yourself. I always love to meet another JBL fan.

I myself wondered if the new S4700 woofer could find itself into other JBL designs, maybe even revised K2 and Everest. It sure is a cool concept.

I'm still listening to get a handle on the all the JBL models. I have had a pair of Everest's at home for a year, so by far most familiar with them.
    K2's, 1400 Arrays and S4700 have only been on a hand a month or less so I need more time to quantify.

Everest's .... K2's, 1400 Arrays and S4700 have only been on a hand a month or less so I need more time to quantify.
    Perhaps maybe a lifetime?

I have had a pair of Everest's at home for a year, so by far most familiar with them.
    K2's, 1400 Arrays and S4700 have only been on a hand a month or less so I need more time to quantify.
    A nice benchmark isn't it?

Assuming you don't crawl through all of these threads as many of us do, I recently brought home a pair and am still enjoying the hell out of them. They are playing as I type... Larry Carlton, not at all bad.

Widget

The woofer seems to have similar technology with the 8" woofer of the LSR28P (studio monitor)

If I did not mention before, in addition to the S4700, we also have on display the Everest, K2 S9900 and 1400 Array.
    The first thing we've noticed is that the Everest and 1400 Array like our biggest room and the K2 prefers a medium to large room, 22 x 24 x 9.5.
    This room has lots of openings in it so it actually has reasonably linear response despite being close to square.
    The S4700 is in the biggest room so far, 38 x 25 x 9.5 H, and does not sound thin or fat but right on.

Thread Information