Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Grammys Show

Quote Originally Posted by berf View Post
    There was a lot of good music from those eras that didn't make it to radio. For that matter, there are a lot of modern artists firmly rooted in the past. I missed out on Van der Graaf Generator the first time around. I've really come to like Green Carnation.
    Radios ruled music. But that was then. Thanks to internet, the range of quality music available to the public to hear (and download) is incredible. Basically, people have no more excuses to be limited to radio content. All they need is will and a bit curiosity. Spend one hour on Youtube. It's all there. This is a free library of musical knowledge. Not only you get the songs/tracks, but you get also the documentaries that will explain how a certain type of music has evolved, or what's behind suucn and such band. There'S definitely no more reason for a mediocre musical environement. Especially with all the independent internet radios. Wether one likes baroque music, house, deep house, soulfullhouse, blue grass, mississipi blues etc, it's up to the listener to decide what level of quality he/she wants. And it's even possible to listen to music that are never published or before they are signed. Go to Soundcloud.com, you'll get the best and the most amateurish stuff mixed together. Of course there will always be a market for musical laziness. The regular radios and record majors will catter to them.

My song of the day. Fresh off a producer's studio. Yes. I love Marvin Gay
    http://soundcloud.com/soulpersonamus...-that-peculiar

Summer Madness/Ain't that peculiar remix
    http://soundcloud.com/soulpersonamus...er-madness-mix

. Everyone under 25 gets it, few over 50 seem to. Hear something you like? Do the Google, learn a little something, peel off the YouTube tab and send it to the TV. Play it now or wait until later. See something interesting on the tube or out in the world? Shoot yourself a quick note and pursue it later. I always seem to have a half-dozen songs, artists, or documentaries sitting on the TV waiting. Once you finish a clip there will be several related clips suggested that may take you in a direction you had not previously considered. The number of artists I've discovered in the last four years thrills me. We need to face the fact that with medical advances most of us will live into our 90's and maybe beyond, shutting off your mind to the unfamiliar 10 years ago may not turn out to be a good idea.
    I have a few problems with your post, and I may be one of the many exceptions.

Am a nearly 63 y.o. VietNam vet ...only mention that because there were not many things to spend your money on over there,,besides girls,beer and PX stuff....the PX catalog was a huge audio showroom and most of us bought good gear and shipped it home ....so we were started in audio from the late 60's on.

When we got started in careers and earned a little more ...most upgraded to better and better gear and for many the upgrade cycle has never ended.

Have also been in the computer industry since 1975 , last 2 employers were Intel and Electric Lightwave and I would hazard a guess that I understand as much of this as you do.
    In fact, I know a LHF member who is 89 y.o. and can run audio circles around many of us.

yes, now we can search out or hit pre-packaged links on the web (and it was most the "over 60's" who designed it) and find lots and lots of music ....but if you think those streams are fine enough quality to match your gear then I think there is a big disconnect happening.

"Everyone under 25 gets it, few over 50 seem to."

everyone ?? wide reaching, false statement
    few over 50 ?? see above
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

the PX catalog was a huge audio showroom and most of us bought good gear and shipped it home ....so we were started in audio from the late 60's on. When we got started in careers and earned a little more ...most upgraded to better and better gear and for many the upgrade cycle has never ended.
    Most young people have been wearing headphones their whole lives. Many have a genuine love for music as they've been able to seek what interests them and spend some long hours listening. Some have a genuine passion for audio and they're buying some quality phones or buds like Beyer, Sennheiser, or Shure. They're spending a couple hundred dollars and getting some excellent sound for their money. I had a set of Beyer DT880's about 25 years ago and they were a revelation. Phones are a necessity when you have roommates and no space but as those kids grow and buy homes they'll know quality audio when they hear it and they're not likely to give it up. I think the future looks pretty good for our passion.

I have two teenage kids and spend a lot of time with student employees in the colleges I work in. I tell ya, these kids will never watch the Grammys, they'll never watch the Oscars, they won't be passively entertained. They don't flip channels and settle for whatever's on at the moment. The TV is just a second computer monitor where you send content that interests you.

but if you think those streams are fine enough quality to match your gear then I think there is a big disconnect happening.
    Funny thing, as my room and gear improves not much seems to sound bad anymore. The McIntosh amp makes the best of things and sounds beautiful whether it's playing FLAC's or 128k Mp3's. When your amp, speakers, and DAC are meshing you may find there's far less lost in compression than we've led ourselves to believe. Sure some streams and some music sounds markedly better than others but about any music on YouTube is acceptable. By far the worst audio quality comes from TV stations. Of all the cable stations TCM seems to have a pretty high standard of sound, EWTN of all things seems to have done a major audio upgrade. Though they're in mono they sound pretty clear and balanced. On the other side of the spectrum Fox news in particular sounds pretty bad.

To some extent I'll stick with the everyone and few comment. There's a whole lot more passive channel flippers over 50 than under 25. I'm in it and talking to young people every day. They've been exposed to a lot and grown up able to tap into the whole of knowledge and experience in ways we could not have dreamed of. I have a lot of faith in them.

To some extent I'll stick with the everyone and few comment. .
    I agree with your sentiment somewhat , BUT
    you cannot make a blanket statement that EVERYBODY does this or likes that.
    unless you know everybody and their likes and dislikes ....EVERYBODY under 25 ??

what's that ???? 100,000,000 persons or so

you HAVE to qualify your statements, else they are just blather.

I can say in fact that I know some under 25's who have actual lives
    and don't give a crap about any of that and seem rather happy. And
    most of my friends over 50 are rather tech savvy. I don't know the average age of
    out forum members , but the under 50 set seems to be a minority.

Every JBL is superior, Every Bose is crap !!!!! Not hardly (see what I mean ??)

our society is so diverse that I can not think of any statement where you can use the
    term "EVERYBODY" that is valid .

Everybody in America...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I agree with your sentiment somewhat , BUT
    you cannot make a blanket statement that EVERYBODY does this or likes that.
    unless you know everybody and their likes and dislikes ....EVERYBODY under 25 ??

what's that ???? 100,000,000 persons or so

you HAVE to qualify your statements, else they are just blather.

I can say in fact that I know some under 25's who have actual lives
    and don't give a crap about any of that and seem rather happy. And
    most of my friends over 50 are rather tech savvy. I don't know the average age of
    out forum members , but the under 50 set seems to be a minority.

Every JBL is superior, Every Bose is crap !!!!! Not hardly (see what I mean ??)

our society is so diverse that I can not think of any statement where you can use the
    term "EVERYBODY" that is valid .
    Took a crap in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    Everybody in America...

Took a crap in January.
    not those in a coma, or many other situations that we really don't need to research.
    (not starvation protesters, not liquid dieters ,not the dead,,etc)

hence : NOT everybody.

you normally can't make a blanket statement like that without qualification.

HEY !! I just figured a tech answer ...Anybody with a 4S who wud like to ask Siri

"who in America didn't crap in January" ???

Did anyone else notice that Deadmau5's electronic mask displayed mouse faces EXCEPT when he played the ballad he did with the gentle female singer? For that it was an Old School Cylon.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information