Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke my LE14H-1 Frame

Punch

HELP! Broke my LE14H-1 Frame

Is this repairable or just garbage now? I just bought 2 back-up drivers for my 250Ti's. They were in separate storage boxes, and I was putting them in my overhead garage storage bin when my shoulder gave out. The driver, though padded well in the box, took a six foot drop to the ground. When I opened the box, here was the end result.Is there anybody that can repair a frame? Thanks.

ouch

The cone can be unglued from the frame ( can't save the foam though ) and the magnet can be unbolted and put on another frame BUT you have to find one first.....they are NOT that common...

BTW this is NOT a home DIY project and should only be done by an experienced service tech.

sub

Punch
    Ugh...I bought them in case something happened to one of my LE14H-1's and now something happened to one of my back ups. I guess in the rare event that one my 250's LE-14H-1 drivers needs a repair it will be because of the guts and not the frame. So there is basically no way to fix a frame...just have to replace it.

Find a welder for aluminium, if he is good he can do it without any cosmetic damage.

Looks like you have a decent set of "guts" though. So if something happens to your 250ti, it'll most likely just need the guts.

Quote Originally Posted by ReffuB View Post
    Find a welder for aluminium, if he is good he can do it without any cosmetic damage.

Nada ,

you wont weld that without a JIG .... the heat will distort the frame - not to mention the getting the correct alloy match for the filler rod .

Devcon make some amazing adhesives . I have used there their products on Stainless that has been at risk of heat distortion .
    I glued two pieces of 12mm ST/ST plate and threw it around the workshop and it wouldn't fail .

You can call their tech department and get advice .

That would be my first solution and I trained as a welder !

Good luck , Rich

My first solution would be to find a junk basket if using a driver complete was an absolute priority. That thing ain't never coming back.

And yeah, you might glue the corner back on good enough that it won't fall off when you gently place it in a cabinet, but there comes a time when busted is just busted.

Punch
    I agree, I think I just need to find a "basketcase basket"....someone who has bad guts but a good frame. I will just have to keep my eyes peeled. Definitely not an emergency.

framed

the 14A ( or 14C ) frame will work albeit with a different terminal setup and of course it would need to be painted. I Frankensteined a pair some years ago for some L220's.

There seems to be plenty on ebay when you don't need one though.

one issue about welding - the frame bent *first* then broke so there would have to be a bit of material removed to allow re-alignment. An overall PITA project.

I'll look in the graveyard and see if there are any 14 frames but don't hold your breath...

Punch
    Subwoof hit it on the head...bent and then broke. Thanks Subwoof...keep your eyes peeled for a frame for me.

-Nick

Punch
    I thought things are not supposed to seems so bad the next morning....Well, not so. I am still really upset and disappointed

Find a good "TIG" welder. Tis is a pretty simple fix. If it does not work out 100%, you have not lost much.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    one issue about welding - the frame bent *first* then broke so there would have to be a bit of material removed to allow re-alignment. An overall PITA project
    If you look at the pic you can see it is bent. More trouble than it is worth!! You have no doubt seen this before!

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Find a good "TIG" welder. Tis is a pretty simple fix. If it does not work out 100%, you have not lost much.

Allan.
    TIG is not all you are going to need. This is "Cast" aluminum, and yes it will shrink like a son of a gun!

BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.
    Always fun learning more.......

Punch
    BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.[/QUOTE]

I know...thanks for understanding. In the JBL world, this is like breaking a Ming vase. I cannot believe it. I would appreciate it if anyone who has a frame or an LE14H-1 that is non-functional would consider selling it to me....or keep your eyes peeled for one. Again, not an emergency, but I feel like I need to make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.
    I know...thanks for understanding. In the JBL world, this is like breaking a Ming vase. I cannot believe it. I would appreciate it if anyone who has a frame or an LE14H-1 that is non-functional would consider selling it to me....or keep your eyes peeled for one. Again, not an emergency, but I feel like I need to make it right.
    I understand, darned shame about the speaker, but hey,
    at least YOU didn't fall and crack a shoulder or break an arm or something in the process!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information