Thread: McIntosh & Marantz bi-amp JBL 1400 Arrays...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

McIntosh & Marantz bi-amp JBL 1400 Arrays...

Would it be fairly simple to use a active crossover with Marantz MA9S2 mono blocks on the LF & McIntosh on the HF of the Arrays without having to mess with the speaker crossovers? If so, to the people who know of such things, what would I need.

Since I have this gear (Mac is idle at the moment), I would like to investigate the possibilities. The system sounds great as is but I am always curious.

Thanks!

Yes and no. You need the active crossover to have the voltage drives Greg gave us and you would need to short one of the caps on the HF network board. You would also need to defeat the woofer crossover from inside the box. So it certainly can be done with a bit of work.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...del-1400-Array

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yes and no. You need the active crossover to have the voltage drives Greg gave us and you would need to short one of the caps on the HF network board. You would also need to defeat the woofer crossover from inside the box. So it certainly can be done with a bit of work.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...del-1400-Array

Rob
    That is all true and is the "best" way to go about it, but you can passively bi-amp the system by disconnecting the loudspeakers' input terminal jumpers and using one amp on the woofer inputs and another amp on the HF inputs... to do this you will need two amps with identical gain or at least one with volume controls.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is all true and is the "best" way to go about it, but you can passively bi-amp the system by disconnecting the loudspeakers' input terminal jumpers and using one amp on the woofer inputs and another amp on the HF inputs... to do this you will need two amps with identical gain or at least one with volume controls.

Widget
    By chance, have you tried this? I cannot since I would be using different amps but, like I mentioned, I have them both-the McIntosh is just sitting around with nothing to do. I really don't want to have someone('cause I would be clueless) to mess around with the speakers just for a test.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    By chance, have you tried this?
    Nope... if I had the right pair of amps I might, but at present I am on a simplification quest.

Widget

You can do this right now without "messing' with the speakers". Just remove the jumpers between the HF and LF inputs on each speaker. Connect the LF input on each speaker to the same Marantz monoblock you are using now. Connect the HF on each speaker to the L and R outputs of the Mac amp. Then just make sure you have outputs from your preamp feeding both the Marantz and Mac amps.

Adjust levels to taste....

jblnut

PM me if you need any help...

Thread Information