Thread: Jbl b460 question????

Jbl b460 question????

I just bought a JBL B460 finally, well beat up with water damage on the one side, but still solid and fixable. The box is painted black, from the pics I thought it was just painted black but when I picked it up tonight, it looks like it was factory, the paint is damn thick like it is the lacuared finish. DID THEY COME IN A BLACK VERSON???? I looked at the forum brochure and the cover looks like the one in the bsck of the front cover is black. I would rather have it match my L250's but if it is factory, I'll probally restore it to original. Here's the listing with the pics. THANKS FOR ANY INFO
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/jbl-b460-sub...p2047675.l2557

According to the library's catalog, the B460 was available in other finishes, including "Transparent Black Stain":
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-l250-b460.htm

Custom jobs from the factory are also not unknown. However, looking at the ebay pictures makes me think the job is a DIY - First, the cork speaker gasket would have gone on after paint - yours has been painted over with black paint. Also, the JBL sticker looks to have been removed and replaced. Third, I don't think the would have lacquered the face behind the grill - too much work for something that wouldn't be seen. Last, it looks like the water damage shows the veneer underneath.

Post more pics when you get it, and especially of the renovation - we look forward to seeing it "New" again!
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

I'd guess it was painted after the water damage, clearly not a factory paint job.

That's exactly what I was thinking was that it was painted. Good call on the cork gasket( I passed over on that one. I will be grabbing it today and will shoot some good pics of it. When I looked at it last night it looked like it was repainted, but the coating looked very thick and was originally done well, just wish it still was in good shape, but least I finally have one. I knew JBL allway left the face and rear of the cab's a flat black so that even confused me... Thanks for the input. BTW I have a BX63A for sale I will post it up in the listing section for everyone on here before I do EBAY. I want it to go to someone that needs one. TONY

Hi Stony. Looking at the heavily cracked paint, I doubt it is a factory job. Good luck in your resto. It has some potential.

IMO, the cabinet damage probably occurred long before the paint happened, to me it looks like it was sprayed to cover up whatever veneer damage there was. I'd look very carefully at the left hand side where the front veneer lifted off and see if the side panel is water damaged as well. You'll note they didn't give you a pick of that side. Hopefully the damage was only the front and there isn't a seam split on the side panels where it meets the front or top. At least the 2245 looks unmolested, hope he didn't damage the VC while running them.

But as you said, still you have one. I'd probably get it too if I'd have seen it. What did you negotiate for a price on this?

I think a nice reveneer job is at hand. Where in LA did you pick it up from?

I think a good paint stripper will clean off the paint and then you could start from there. Having to strip the veneer off will be a bit tougher to get it even but still that might not be too hard.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Well I have the box and stripped the paint off of it. The paint came off great. The cabnet(minus the bad side) is in good shape all corners and veneer is good. Now comes for the fun part of trying to remove the bad panels and redo it. It looks like that the 1" wood is accually a 3/4" with a 1/4 glued to it and the 3/4 is good, the 1/4 is what swelled. I'm not sure, but hope I may be able to just strip the outer portion and replace it. We'll see..... I'll post the pics of it, when I picked it up to where I'm at with her now.
    As for price, I worked a deal for the box with crossover for 650.00..... Little high, but with the crossover and everything, just to find one, I would of paid 1000 for it, just to have it... What do you guys think of the price. I feel after I sell my old BX63A I will have paid somewhere around 350 for it, Not bad in my book.

You'll need to completely remove the walnut veneer at least from the front and side panels. Only then will you know if what's underneath can be saved.

A little late to the discussion about the paint being original....

The finish looks like spray can...

There is alot of black overspray in the cabinet, more than I would expect from a simple spray can. It looks consistent with what a conventional Spray-Gun would do... paint gets everywhere.

The cracked paint suggests to me that it was originally painted, but at some point it was painted over with a spray can. This would explain why the finish has cracked. Can't always mix different coatings since they expand and contract differently to temperature.

Unless, they painted several coats too quickly without enough dry time, but then I would expect to see some runs.

So, I'm curious... did you find evidence they were originally painted?

As far as the price, it's a tough call since they need alot of work. But if you don't mind putting in the effort, and the money didn't make you miss a meal, I think it's fair. Like you mentioned, they aren't easy to come across.

Thread Information