Thread: LE14H-1 refoam question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LE14H-1 refoam question

I recently bought some 250Ti's that need refoaming ....purchased the Rick Cobb kit..

removed old foam and cleaned up basket and cone pretty well after removing the black plastic ring.
    so I test fitted the foam ring ...its pretty tight against the basket channel , but there is maybe 1/32
    gap between surround and cone.

I've always glued the surround to the cone FIRST and did centering adjustments on the next glueing to the frame ...this does not appear possible here ...I PMed a forum member who has done some of these and uses
    OC rings , he does them in the same order that I've traditionally done the smaller ones.

to do THIS one correctly, should I be glueing to the basket frame FIRST and then centering on the step of
    attaching the cone ?

I realize that as long as it works correctly, the order is less important, but I'd like to get forum advice before starting on an expensive driver..

thx.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I've always glued the surround to the cone FIRST and did centering adjustments on the next glueing to the frame ...this does not appear possible here ...I PMed a forum member who has done some of these and uses
    OC rings , he does them in the same order that I've traditionally done the smaller ones.
    That's the way I always do it. Get it centered on the cone first and then use the "slop" on the frame. Problem is there is very little "slop" on those square frame drivers, I have done a couple of pairs and I had one driver that was extremely hard to center. Can you post some pictures not sure what you mean by the gap. Is the gap between the cone and the edge of the surround on the back of the driver??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Is the gap between the cone and the edge of the surround on the back of the driver??
    Rob
    when positioned with foam under the cone..the gap between the inside edge of the roll and outer edge of the cone ..it is the only place where I can see any possible adjustment , hopefully it needs none and can stay perfectly centered.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    when positioned with foam under the cone..the gap between the inside edge of the roll and outer edge of the cone ..it is the only place where I can see any possible adjustment , hopefully it needs none and can stay perfectly centered.
    I guess I would start with the cone as well. I had lots of difficulty with my set. I could not get the surround to lay down on the back of the cone. I did it all at once and it was very nerve racking. Never did get it on the back of the cone perfectly. Are you going to use a test tone, or shims? I carefully cut the dust cap leaving just a little piece connecting it to the cone, then shim. They are a lot more difficult than the 2214's I have done a few times.

-Hope it goes well.

Seawolf can you post a pic of the dry fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Seawolf can you post a pic of the dry fit?
    I rechecked the fit...the foam fits EXACTLY in the baskets ledge/groove/shelf and there is NO play room.

went to Google and found that others are doing it BACKWARDS , as I asked about ...so yesterday I glued the outer lip to basket FIRST and it is dry by today so now must use inner lip to make alignment adjustments. put on the black plastic ring at the same time and it seems to hold down the lip.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    I did it all at once and it was very nerve racking.
    -Hope it goes well.
    have NEVER done it "all at once" ..has always been a 2 step proc for me.

Thread Information