Thread: Building a records bin

Building a records bin

I like having my "things" well organized. It's easier when you are looking for something. And I am a Virgo. Virgoes like organization and structure. I have some records stored in an Ikea bookshelf (and it is great) but wanted an extra strorage system. Therefore I made myself an 18" deep four-row record bin. Each row holds 125 discs. Funk 12" singles and 1970's soul LPs. It's the first time I build one and I took measurements using a single 12" sleeveless record. I thought I was generous at 12-1/2" width and it theorically was great. Not too loose, not too tight. Depth is 18" and is just perfect. So, I built the bin in 2 hours and started filling it with discs. Oups. What works great for one single disc is too tight for a bunch with plastic sleeves. I can feel some friction. Therefore, if you build one, don't settle for 12-1/2", but add an extra 1/4" instead. I'll make another next week and will report.

The Ikea shelves

My new bin

So, now I can buy 500 new records to fill up the empty spaces in the Ikea shelves. ;-)

Very cool! A couple of years ago when Tower Records in the states went out of business, they were selling everything off including their record racks which looked very similar. I didn't get any, but I did get a whole bunch of CD's on the last day for 12 cents a piece!

with limited floor space, I went UP ..
    the bottom steel case book case is for "less accessed" ..ie: "play once then store"
    found a solid oak case at GW for $6 , and it works fine..

organized ?? notice the alphabetized dividers ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

One of the reasons for emptying the bottom rows of my Ikea shelve was to limit the times I have to be on my knees to look for records. Being an ex-DJ I always prefered flipping thru records from the top with one finger. Pull the sleeve, remove the discs, leave the sleeve in place. You'll know where it is when you're done. It's kinda obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    One of the reasons for emptying the bottom rows of my Ikea shelve was to limit the times I have to be on my knees to look for records. Being an ex-DJ I always prefered flipping thru records from the top with one finger. Pull the sleeve, remove the discs, leave the sleeve in place. You'll know where it is when you're done. It's kinda obvious
    The bin came out very nice Lee, if space was not an issue I would opt for a record bin instead of shelves, definitely more user friendly.
    I have a few shelves that I have made out of plywood & 2x3s, nothing to brag about (they're on duty in the basement & garage) but they do the job.
    Decent & presentable shelving systems at a good price are very hard to come by, pieces of junk made out of plastic or wire start at $60 & spike sharply, not even worth it, I've gone the Ikea route on shelves as well out of sheer desperation.
    Enjoy!

ps: Great score on those shelves Seawolf!
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information