Thread: 4411's...in mint shape component wise. Amp question......

4411's...in mint shape component wise. Amp question......

Hi everyone, I have a rather elaborate home recording studio and although I have modern powered nearfields I have two pairs of 4411's two . One that I use and one that I snagged from Nashville that are newly rebuilt...Actually the first pair was redone about 4 years ago and all components are perfect in both. All original.

My question...
    I have two Hafler P3000 amps...one was in use to power the pair I have mounted....It is 150 a side mosfet ...so...watt for watt a match. I thought I would try bridging the the two Haflers (they are set up for bridging) and that became a 400 watt feed. I obviously turned the Haflers right down at first to try the 4411 pair and added a little to bring them to life.
    I am not sure they sound as good with a little more muscle. The mids came alive but the 12 didn't so much. Didn't want to drive them too hard. They sounded great with the 150 but needed them cranked to get anything going. A little flabby or not so tight in the lows with the single amp......I expected more excursion with the two amps also on the 12s but they didn't really move...and the ports seemed to bring out a lot of hollow mid.

What in all your wisdom would be the perfect match for these ever so beautiful babies? They are monitors after all, I don't expect them to have a pile of hype. I don't eq them in anyway, they are running flat and aimed at the sweet spot. I have a treated room too. I certainly wouldn't eq them with the two bridged amps feeding them or look out tweets.

Any ideas would be great. They are awesome I have to say.. I could listen for days to these speakers and not get ear fatigue.

Thanks
    Lou .
    NoEgo Studios
    Calgary Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
    A little flabby or not so tight in the lows
    I don't have an answer for you, but in an old post I described my 4412's with the same exact words
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

What amp did you have on them? What was it rated do you remember?
    Thx.

What amp did you have on them? What was it rated do you remember?
    Thx.
    a 375 wpc commercial amp that sounds stellar on everything else.

Hmmm. Maybe it's too much then. Mine.......They sound good with a single Hafler P3000.
    ...... just a little starved. I am reading a lot that in the studio they were paired with DH500 Haflers which brings 265RMS. Did you use yours in a control room or for home use?

Hmmm. Maybe it's too much then. Mine.......They sound good with a single Hafler P3000.
    ...... just a little starved. I am reading a lot that in the studio they were paired with DH500 Haflers which brings 265RMS. Did you use yours in a control room or for home use?
    Home use, in a room that I'm very familiar with.

Just because an amp can produce XX wpc does not mean that it always is.

The best I've ever heard that set of drivers (in L112's) was when the bottom was crossed over to
    subs. I'm sure I wrote about that somewhere here... years ago :P

When solo (no subs), they seem to do better on stands away from walls (less boundary reinforcement).
    I like the 10" versions better (for my listening choices).

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Home use, in a room that I'm very familiar with.

Just because an amp can produce XX wpc does not mean that it always is.
    Yeah I know this. I have owned a studio for over 25 years. Otherwise I would be wearing JBL drivers pushing them at 400 continuous watts. ....you shouldn't starve a speaker either. They may be pushing the limit at half continuously though. At a good listening level...85db or so for reference..

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    The best I've ever heard that set of drivers (in L112's) was when the bottom was crossed over to
    subs. I'm sure I wrote about that somewhere here... years ago :P

When solo (no subs), they seem to do better on stands away from walls (less boundary reinforcement).
    I like the 10" versions better (for my listening choices).
    Thanks. Yeah some of us are not a fan of a sub in a control room. Not saying others shouldn't....I tried one for years and the mixes never translated well on other systems. Now I just use near fields that drop to 32hz. And the 4411s for the sit back and listen times. They are positioned for stand up so the talent can hear. But you know that could be great advice dude. I should try it as they aren't used for reference any way.
    Thanks again.

Are you running Eq ?

No EQ when I had them running.

I understand about the subs. You might try stuffing the port -and- adding a bit of EQ
    (I'd start at 55Hz +4dB, Q 1.5, on paper)
    if you are looking for a major change in the LF character (less of a hump below 100Hz)...
    you'll give up some ultimate output capability in the 50-80Hz range, but it should have
    less "character". Keep in mind this is just "bench racing"... I haven't tried that exact
    trial in a real room.

I expect that is one of the main reasons I liked them with a sub (the mains were rolled off,
    avoiding the system character in that range altogether).

Thread Information