Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Neil Young Wants Digital Music to Die

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Record stores

Revenue decline between 2000 and 2010: 76.3%.
    I'd like to see the numbers from 2008-2012 . At least around here,
    record stores are rather stable and record shows are well attended.

Even our big "super retail , 1 stop shopping" chain now sells LP's

the "under 30" crowd have discovered them and tell me that most new
    Indy recordings are released on vinyl ...is it better ??? most likely not,
    but Mr. W did point out in a recent post that LP's are capable of reproducing
    higher HF than CD does.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Remember when John Cusack's character in the 2000 movie "High Fidelity" barely squeaked by as a record store owner? Today, he'd be toast.
    I went on-line today to check my local record store web sites in hopes of finding the new Bill Evans release. One store with three locations in the state has a link on their website to their bankruptcy filing. I knew they weren't doing well since every time I'd go in there there'd be more empty bins and less floor space in play. Last year they moved our local store to a new location about 1/3 the size of the old one. Felt like they had more used CDs than new. Neither store offered the CD I wanted. Even Best Buy shows it as not available in stores. Sigh. I tried to support a local business. I guess it's off to Amazon . . .

Just sent them an order for about $70 for the new Bill Evans and also stocked up on four early Fleetwood Mac CDs I only had on vinyl, in honor of Bob Welch (and Peter Greene, Danny Kirwan, and Jeremy Spencer). I'll probably have to use the EQ on these because apparently they aren't worthy of a modern re-master. I also replaced an Al DiMeola CD (Elegant Gypsy) I'd loaned out and never got back. Most were eight bucks. One was seven. And no local sales tax, yet. I'll really miss CDs when they're gone!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'll really miss CDs when they're gone!
    Not me, while not as awful as records they're still pretty awful. I'm definitely a flat file fan.

I agree with Ed Meitner and many others, digital will only get better. I also agree that it really wasn't ready for prime time when it came along and eviscerated the record industry. It was quite obvious at the time. CDs simply didn't sound as good as the records compared side by side. They definitely traded quality for convenience.

The demise of album art is the real tragedy here. But as long as all the album covers get digitized and put into a screensaver we should be good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The demise of album art is the real tragedy here. But as long as all the album covers get digitized and put into a screensaver we should be good to go.
    I'll include liner notes, too! They should be included in Gracenotes data. Some of my favorite "ah-ha" moments have come from listening to an album then reading the lineup of musicians and making a connection to another album or group. Sometimes this detail isn't even easy to find on-line.

I'd happily embrace the music file once it settles down. I'm not willing to navigate the forest of connection types and file formats right now. I'm a trickle-down kind of guy and can wait until one connection type and one file quality finally wins out and prices for DACs drop. I bought my first CD before I even owned a player, I was so convinced of the promise of fidelity. For thirty-years now I've happily bought and played them. But then I also had a Betamax at one time . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'll include liner notes, too! They should be included in Gracenotes data. Some of my favorite "ah-ha" moments have come from listening to an album then reading the lineup of musicians and making a connection to another album or group. Sometimes this detail isn't even easy to find on-line.

I'd happily embrace the music file once it settles down. I'm not willing to navigate the forest of connection types and file formats right now. I'm a trickle-down kind of guy and can wait until one connection type and one file quality finally wins out and prices for DACs drop. I bought my first CD before I even owned a player, I was so convinced of the promise of fidelity. For thirty-years now I've happily bought and played them. But then I also had a Betamax at one time . . .
    Betamax??? Well at least you knew what the best format was.

Yeah, chasing technology with everyone and their dog trying to make a buck off their own version of it is hilarious.

Betamax??? Well at least you knew what the best format was.
    well, as long as we are OT ....I read that Sony also invented/developed VHS , but sold its rights off to JVC as they considered it the inferior product compared to Beta.

(just as I consider minidisks incredibly superior to cassette or...? ..and they faded out too)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information