Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Everest DD66000....finally

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Guido...

Ivica didn't have Project May access... I just gave him the added permissions.

Widget
    OK, you guys are sometimes lazy, this time not

Guido...

Widget
    Many thanks Mr.Widget.

Guido
    Originally Posted by ivica
    It would be helpful if You know where "H9800 CAD" can be find.
    Regards
    Ivica

You guys are really lazy

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Data&p=232914

Sorry Guido, anyhow thanks for the upper link, but still remains: "some more mechanical dimensions, You have finally apply" for 2-inch driver.
    I do not think that 'scaling' is the only thing.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Ivica, you can try to contact member Jan Daugaard. He designed the first version of the EV2 clone horn. He can comment on these version. He is very good in horn design. I tested another version which is a widened H9800 which I mentioned earlier. My attempt wasn't scientific but trial and error. The H9800 CAD files are here at the forum. Scale and modifiy it to fit the Everest dimensions and you are done. I can't proof but I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the original horn. It even measured identical to Widgets curve with the original EV2 crossover circuit in place. Greg would be able to tell us but I doubt he will Jan's version was very nice too but not so easy to EQ with the crossover. So I decided to finally go with the H9800'ish horn. Adapter and lips are different than the first attempt.
    from some early Jan's posts: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post180832 is seems to me that some dimensions can be seen, and from Guido's photos http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post327827 I have tried to get initial starting point about the dimensions of the H66000 throat (in the mean time, while Guido would give exact) as on the attached figure. BUT I HAVE ONE PROBLEM MORE, 476 driver is 1.5"-mouth driver, and I have 2"-mouth driver, so the problem for coupling such driver would need more elaboration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

this is a 1.5" throat, not 2"

don't know if it is exactly 38mm or 39mm, but certainly not 50mm

Don't know what exactly is going on here? Do you want to design a 3rd version of the horn?

There are already 2 versions:

1) There is Jan's version and if you ask you might get the files from him (I think so)

2) There is my version which is a scaled 9800H. My exact files doesn't make sense for you as you then need my cabinets also. Horn and cabinet belong together with the EV2 design.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Don't know what exactly is going on here? Do you want to design a 3rd version of the horn?

There are already 2 versions:

1) There is Jan's version and if you ask you might get the files from him (I think so)

2) There is my version which is a scaled 9800H. My exact files doesn't make sense for you as you then need my cabinets also. Horn and cabinet belong together with the EV2 design.
    Sorry Guido, I have made a mistake, I have totally forget that 476 driver is 1.5"-mouth driver, and I want to connect 2"-mouth driver to the horn look-like H66000, so first I have to think how to do that.
    Initially something like JBL has done with 2328 adapter, and try to calculate how the interconnection can be made.
    Regards
    Ivica

The 2" drivers include a 1.5"/2" adapter in their throat, with a slow flare, so you have to take it into account when designing your horn (and it will not be "rapid-flare")

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...=298&doctype=3

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The 2" drivers include a 1.5"/2" adapter in their throat, with a slow flare, so you have to take it into account when designing your horn (and it will not be "rapid-flare")

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...=298&doctype=3
    Yes, some kind of adapter like 2328 adapter has to be incorporated into the horn throat. Some idea is done by Mr.Widget:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ll=1#post48092

but some other solutions are possible. My first idea is to think about "quadratic throat WG =Q_WG" (or Edgard "Oblate spheroidal WG =OS_WG") which are
    relatively "rapid flare". As can be seen from attached figures, the transition from the throat in horizontal plane for 120 deg horn (60 deg half coverage)
    can be reach in the first 21.8mm (about 0.86" if Q_WG is applied, or even faster if OS_WG), but the problem is to calculate the shape of the "bubble" in the vertical plane. My 'first initial ques' would be that if Q_WG would be applied that almost no "bubble" would be needed, but almost horizontal plane till full flare reached in horizontal plane, and after that next , about 1" "slant" part in order to reduce the distance between upper an lower plane of the horn to the desired value about 1.375" to 1.5", after that with very 'slow flare' in vertical plane, before reaching the hon lips.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Add me also please!

I would love to follow the project.

Ron

Guido...

Widget
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I would love to follow the project.

Ron
    Follow?

That train left the station early in the millennium and hasn't been heard from since.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    but some other solutions are possible.
    There is no acoustical theorie for the transition from round to square. At some place there will in most cases be a restriction in one plane (often vertical) which results in some cancellation of higher frequencies. It is wise to make the transition "smooth".

Public material, which I have studied in depth, will not show any usable details of the transition in the Everest horn. (I have followed The discussions about the Everest II right from the beginning.)

Measurements are the the basis of network modifications.

Guidos work is outstanding in any aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    There is no acoustical theorie for the transition from round to square. At some place there will in most cases be a restriction in one plane (often vertical) which results in some cancellation of higher frequencies. It is wise to make the transition "smooth".

Public material, which I have studied in depth, will not show any usable details of the transition in the Everest horn. (I have followed The discussions about the Everest II right from the beginning.)

Measurements are the the basis of network modifications.

Guidos work is outstanding in any aspect.

My idea is first to try to understand the 'secretes' which are incorporated into the H66000 horn design, and may be to
    get something useful design with "affordable drivers".
    So I will try to put here some of my "speculations" just in order to 'inspire" some of other members of LH forum,
    who have much more knowledge and experience in "horns construction domain" so, if any of us want to make "JBL-look" design can better understand what has to be done.
    I am absolutely sure that we will not get "Noble's Prize" for our work, but may be our knowledge would be a bit "higher" .

reagrds
    Ivica

Obsolete
    My idea is first to try to understand the 'secretes' which are incorporated into the H66000 horn design, and may be toget something useful design with "affordable drivers".
    Ask Guido or Mr. Widget if they will model their H4338 horns (if they aren't already in use) and post the resulting file. The H66000 horn throats are next to impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Ask Guido or Mr. Widget if they will model their H4338 horns (if they aren't already in use) and post the resulting file. The H66000 horn throats are next to impossible to get.

I think Mr Widget is your best bet from recent conversations . I pretty sure Guido has his H4338 installed and in use

Rich

The only thing I would suggest is you start another thread, this one being Guido's masterpiece

Frank

I am absolutely amazed with the Guido's gigantic astonishing masterpiece, which is approved by precises measurements,
    so there is no doubt about that. My congratulations again.

My idea is first to try to understand the 'secretes' which are incorporated into the H66000 horn design, and may be to
    get something useful design with "affordable drivers".
    So I will try to put here some of my "speculations" just in order to 'inspire" some of other members of LH forum,
    who have much more knowledge and experience in "horns construction domain" so, if any of us want to make "JBL-look" design can better understand what has to be done.
    I am absolutely sure that we will not get "Noble's Prize" for our work, but may be our knowledge would be a bit "higher" .

reagrds
    Ivica

Thread Information