Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail of Subwoofers: A Pair of 2245's

Holy Grail of Subwoofers: A Pair of 2245's

I have completed the construction of a pair of 2245 18" subwoofers to compliment my Linkwitz Labs LX521's. This is a active 5 way system using a MiniDSP 4x10hd and two ATI 1506 amps. Each driver in the whole system has it's own 150W amp with the subs working from 35hz down. I borrowed the design from Greg Timbers 1983 design. I have slightly curved sides but otherwise there is no deviation from their design. These are amazing at what I ask them to do. I have them equalized +10db at 17z. These blend fabulously with the pair of open baffle 10" drivers in the LX521's, which is no easy task. For those of you that haven't heard open baffle woofers, you're missing half of life. These are an fantastic addition to the LX521's for any kind of program material with sub 35hz signal. The 10" woofers below about 35hz have dramatic cone excursion which is fine, but to me it sounds as if they are struggling to reproduce these frequencies. The JBL's on the other hand are smooth and very comfortable keeping up with the main system.Name:  2015-08-22 12.14.43.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  104.5 KBName:  2015-08-22 12.15.04.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  139.2 KBName:  2015-08-22 12.15.37.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  66.3 KBName:  2015-08-09 12.41.01.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  63.1 KB

Obsolete
    Outstanding!

I really like that light veneer.

Nice job!

Not compact, but they look good in your room. Congratulations!

Those 2245s probably are one of the best solutions to mate with open baffle designs. I must add that I have not yet heard an open baffle speaker that worked for me including hearing demos by Siegfried Linkwitz, but then he wasn't using B460s.

Widget

Really superb craftsmanship sir. I tip my hat to you!

I've never had a chance to hear any open baffle speakers other than electrostatics - different kettle of fish I know. I need to get around to it at some point.

Thanks guys! I have to really thank Lee in Montreal for his suggestion to go with the 18" vs the 15" 2235's. I've had many subs over the years, but the largest (previously) was a pair of 15" Velodyne ULD15. They are wonderful but the 18" is really in a different league, especially when you push them hard with organ music or movie soundtracks and I'm not just talking dinosaur footsteps. But even when you don't push them hard, they provide a room "feeling" that smaller speakers just can't. Even my Infinity Beta's (4 x 12") didn't do it. Now I've got a real problem. I'll never be able to move to a smaller room cuz these things are huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Not compact, but they look good in your room. Congratulations!

Those 2245s probably are one of the best solutions to mate with open baffle designs. I must add that I have not yet heard an open baffle speaker that worked for me including hearing demos by Siegfried Linkwitz, but then he wasn't using B460s.

Widget
    I'm impressed you've even heard of Linkwitz speakers. When I walk into High End stores and they ask me what I'm listening to I think I've only had one guy vaguely know what they were but had never heard them. Which model did you listen to and where? SL is very generous with his time to let people come over and listen. I know what you mean about them not working for you. Isn't it great there are so many different speakers made so we can all have what we like.

Very nice work. Those are high voliume, though they don't look that cumbersome. Thanks to th tower design. Just tell your sweet half not to put flower pots on them... ;-) One comment I'd like toadd is about the benefits of curved sides. Not only they make the cabinet look smaller, but the curve strengthens the panels and keeps them from resonating as there is a tension in the boards. And a curve is always stiffer than a flat plan.

And yes, the physical feel of those 2245 is incredible. ;-)

A bit OT, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    I'm impressed you've even heard of Linkwitz speakers. When I walk into High End stores and they ask me what I'm listening to I think I've only had one guy vaguely know what they were but had never heard them. Which model did you listen to and where? SL is very generous with his time to let people come over and listen. I know what you mean about them not working for you. Isn't it great there are so many different speakers made so we can all have what we like.
    Sorry... just saw this. I am not sure which ones they were. They were much smaller than yours. It was a few years ago at a DIY audiofest in Marin County. The event is called "Burning Amp". Nelson Pass and other notables were also there. Dr. Linkwitz lives nearby and is a very generous and gracious fellow who will talk about his theories and designs to almost anyone if asked politely.

I agree on the variety point 100%. I find most speakers with a following do indeed offer something to be admired even if they don't entirely float my boat.

Widget

Further OT, But...

I don't know the man, and haven't heard his speakers, though I'd like to. But I certainly have a lot of respect for him, because I spent a lot of time using the instruments that he worked on at HP. Anyone who worked on the 8566 is OK in my book. That thing was awesome.

Name:  sa1.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  180.7 KB

lol... yes, those were much nicer than what I started on ...
    killed a lot of plotter pens

Nice design and construction Champster!

Do you have any pictures of your build?
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Nice design and construction Champster!

Do you have any pictures of your build?
    Thanks Ed. I'm afraid I only have one picture and it isn't great but its all I have. I painted the interior with an automotive sound deadening material and then put the 2" Auralex foam over all the surfaces. The curved sides are 4 layers of 1/4" mdf laminated and there is extensive bracing. These weigh about 250 lbs each. The front and rear baffles are 2" thick mdf. When really rocking these cabinets are nearly vibration free.

Paul

Name:  IMG_6853.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  91.3 KB

Hello. I dont believe you stated this but what size cabinet did you go with? 8cuft 25hz or 12cuft 20hz?

I am guessing 12cuft 20hz. Just curious as I am very slowly gathering parts for a possible clone 4345 and possibly other builds.

Quote Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
    Hello. I dont believe you stated this but what size cabinet did you go with? 8cuft 25hz or 12cuft 20hz?

I am guessing 12cuft 20hz. Just curious as I am very slowly gathering parts for a possible clone 4345 and possibly other builds.
    8cf

Thread Information