(3 silver caps)

18 uf (High)
    6 uf (Mid)
    36 uf (Low)

and the 3 yellow

4 uf (High)
    2) 6 uf (Mid)

Have I got this right? Does anyone have any suggestions, cap type, etc.,

Do the resistors ever need replacing/upgrading?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  lpad5.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  168.0 KB

Hi, best bang for buck are Solen Caps from parts express. They are pretty good. Replace all that you have mentioned. As for the resistors, check them with a mutimeter. If they are within spec leave them alone. However, for the cost of new ones, they are pretty cheap, you may decide just to replace them.

Enjoy.

Allan.

Hi thanks,

Reading around here and other forums Solen does not get high on the average marks. But what do I know, that's why I'm askin, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Hi thanks,

Reading around here and other forums Solen does not get high on the average marks. But what do I know, that's why I'm askin, thanks
    Solen are perfectly fine, it depends on how much you want to spend. Everyone has their faves. Most people cant tell the difference from the standard caps or the mythical silver/paper in oil caps.

Allan.

I have used the black Solen caps and they are very good. Solen has a high reputation around the world. But refreshing a network with non-original caps will definitely have effect on sounds. Per exemple, the black Solen caps are way more effective and their "parasitic" resistance is 1% of what you'd get with a lower quality capacitor. This will obviously affect your network.

BTW Solen offers different qualities of caps. You get what you pay for. The good ones are the black ones. Don't touch the blue ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    But refreshing a network with non-original caps will definitely have effect on sounds. Per exemple, the black Solen caps are way more effective and their "parasitic" resistance is 1% of what you'd get with a lower quality capacitor. This will obviously affect your network.
    That said, if a Solen is way more effective, then sounds like the chance of affecting the network increases. So, would I be better off with a less effective cap, to retain more of the original sound?

I think my concern here that the original 'uf' more than likely is not stock anymore. So, because I cannot obtain exact replacements, I would think it might be prudent to just try to replace as close as I can rather than enhance.

Would that be maybe a Dayton for example?

One more question,

In the photo, why would they use the 3 yellow caps, vs just using the round metal cylinders like they did on the other 3?

Is this something to consider when replacing?

Electrolytics vs mylar capacitors

One more question,

In the photo, why would they use the 3 yellow caps, vs just using the round metal cylinders like they did on the other 3?

Is this something to consider when replacing?
    The electrolytics are usually the larger values. You could get mylar for all of them, but the cost is hard to justify sometimes......

Ron sends....
    JBL Pro for home use!

Cost vs. performance goals. The way the 'round metal cylinders' are constructed allows
    for a more compact and less costly capacitor (for a given value), but with some price to pay in
    higher frequency performance... the yellow mylar capacitors perform better than the electrolytics
    at higher frequencies but can be both enormous and quite costly for larger values. The selection
    by the designer was presumably made to reach both a price point and listening enjoyment level.

Frankly, if enjoying the speakers as they were built is the goal, I would just either
    continue listening to them, or if an actual problem is found with them, replace the
    electrolytic capacitors (the round metal cylinders). Note that these are "bi-polar"
    or "NP/non-polar" capacitors,... most electrolytic capacitors are not, and most have
    very sloppy value tolerances ... look for 10% or better.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Cost vs. performance goals. The way the 'round metal cylinders' are constructed allows
    for a more compact and less costly capacitor (for a given value), but with some price to pay in
    higher frequency performance... the yellow mylar capacitors perform better than the electrolytics
    at higher frequencies but can be both enormous and quite costly for larger values. The selection
    by the designer was presumably made to reach both a price point and listening enjoyment level.

Frankly, if enjoying the speakers as they were built is the goal, I would just either
    continue listening to them, or if an actual problem is found with them, replace the
    electrolytic capacitors (the round metal cylinders). Note that these are "bi-polar"
    or "NP/non-polar" capacitors,... most electrolytic capacitors are not, and most have
    very sloppy value tolerances ... look for 10% or better.
    Very good point, it would appear that the yellow mylar caps may actually last a lifetime unlike electrolytic. Without testing ESR I wouldn't know, but I think I will just start with the electrolytic. Thanks for the help.

AMACNEE
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    continue listening to them, or if an actual problem is found with them
    How does one know if there is an actual problem? I have L112's set up in a home theater system. They sound ok to me but I may be missing something. Is there a subtle degradation that takes place over time that I might not notice if these are the only speakers I've spent any significant time listening to for the past 30+ years or are there other symptoms? I don't want to do anything I don't have to but I don't want to just assume the speakers sound the way they did when I first auditioned them way back when.

Hi, Generally things may be fine. However, with age the electro caps tend to go out of spec and can fail. If you want to start replacing some caps, start with these. Resistors are usually pretty good for a very long time. A simple check with a multimeter will confirm this for you.

Allan.

AMACNEE
    Is there a how-to on the forum on recaping similar to the how-to on re-foaming?

Thread Information