Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got me a nice Crown "receiver"

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Now all you need is a PL3 in the same finish, or is it just that racked photo?

I have a couple of the PS200s and PS400s in the finish that matches your SL2 and FM2 (and a couple just like yours, too, for that matter). Can't really tell you why they made both Graphite and Black in addition to the silver, but they certainly did. Can't just be a production change since my FM3 is in the Graphite, too. Though all my later PS amps are black and the early ones are the graphite ones.
    The PS 3 in that pic has the identical finish as the SL2 and FM 2. Dont know why it looks different
    Ultimately, the 4425s could use a little more torque than what the little Crown can put out but I`ve yet to see the IOC`s ficker.
    That rack is sounding rather fine, I wish I had the opportunity to A/B it with the Krell/Magnum Dynalab units that were replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    The PS 3 in that pic has the identical finish as the SL2 and FM 2. Dont know why it looks different
    Ultimately, the 4425s could use a little more torque than what the little Crown can put out but I`ve yet to see the IOC`s ficker.
    That rack is sounding rather fine, I wish I had the opportunity to A/B it with the Krell/Magnum Dynalab units that were replaced.
    Must be all the shiny knobs reflecting the flash?

Oddly, most of the black Crowns of that vintage seem to have no rack handles and most of the graphite ones seem to have handles. When I ordered rack handles from Crown as parts (bought all they had) they came in black. I got a graphite PS-400 from Subwoof about five-years ago and all he had was black handles. He even offered to trade me rack handles for an FM3 for the blank (non-handled) rack ears from my graphite FM3 but all he had was black. I found Duplicolor GM318 Charcoal to be a good match for the graphite.

Might I suggest Power Line 3 or PS-400? Maybe an additional PL2 and bridge them? Do the Power Lines even have a bridge switch?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Must be all the shiny knobs reflecting the flash?

Oddly, most of the black Crowns of that vintage seem to have no rack handles and most of the graphite ones seem to have handles. When I ordered rack handles from Crown as parts (bought all they had) they came in black. I got a graphite PS-400 from Subwoof about five-years ago and all he had was black handles. He even offered to trade me rack handles for an FM3 for the blank (non-handled) rack ears from my graphite FM3 but all he had was black. I found Duplicolor GM318 Charcoal to be a good match for the graphite.

Might I suggest Power Line 3 or PS-400? Maybe an additional PL2 and bridge them? Do the Power Lines even have a bridge switch?
    I was not aware that a Graphite finish was available, bet it`s purdy though. Did you mean Power line 4?
    That is always an option as is another PL3 and yes, they are bridgeable.

Living in a small condo, I`m waiting for a chance when my closest neighbors are out to light up the IOCs, should be interesting

Did you mean Power line 4?
    That is always an option as is another PL3 and yes, they are bridgeable.

Living in a small condo, I`m waiting for a chance when my closest neighbors are out to light up the IOCs, should be interesting
    Yes, I did. Never can keep straight that PL2 = D75A, PL3 = PS200, and PL4 = PS400.

I have to admit that I've never seen the IOC lights lit on any of my Crowns. I ran my 030s for years off a D150A-II without ever seeing lights and then a DC300A-II without. The 4345s have been running on a DC300A-II and D150A-II and now switched over to PS-200 and PS-400 and I can't image the SPL it would take to light those lights. Even running L7s with PS400 or PS200 I never lit the lights. And my family will tell you they think I must be deaf as loud as I like to run the system, especially when they're away from home!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yes, I did. Never can keep straight that PL2 = D75A, PL3 = PS200, and PL4 = PS400.

I have to admit that I've never seen the IOC lights lit on any of my Crowns. I ran my 030s for years off a D150A-II without ever seeing lights and then a DC300A-II without. The 4345s have been running on a DC300A-II and D150A-II and now switched over to PS-200 and PS-400 and I can't image the SPL it would take to light those lights. Even running L7s with PS400 or PS200 I never lit the lights. And my family will tell you they think I must be deaf as loud as I like to run the system, especially when they're away from home!
    Out of curiosity, what were the sonic differences between the D series and PS series on the 4345s?
    I have a buddy that offered to lend me a PSA-2 (insert Tim Taylor grunt here) to try out, just might take him up on the offer

Out of curiosity, what were the sonic differences between the D series and PS series on the 4345s?
    I have a buddy that offered to lend me a PSA-2 (insert Tim Taylor grunt here) to try out, just might take him up on the offer
    Funny you should ask: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post329458

Everyone has convinced me that it's just too much trouble to even expect these to perform.
    I suggest you just send them to me and be done with them!
    I find it incredibly funny that I now (almost two-years later) own Mike's Crowns that are the subject of this thread. Bought them from him through Canuck Audio Mart back in November and didn't realize until today that this was the same system or that Mike was an LH member!

What a very small world we live in!

I can now vouch both for his packing ability and for being forthright in his dealings. He turned a potentially problematic transaction at the hand of FedEx into a successful event and I have thanked him for his perseverance. I think we were both pleased with how it turned out!

So Mike, if you're still out there, thanks for the extra effort and nice to "meet" another LH member along the way.

All the best!

My original intention was to get something along the lines of a Marantz 250/3200/112 combo or perhaps a 2325 but it`s been tough to find. Prices, operational issues, questionable mods, cosmetics kept me from settling on something when I came across this.

OK so it`s not technically a receiver, how about "modular receiver"?
    Crown Power Line 3 amplifier, Straight Line 2 pre-amp and FM 2 tuner.
    Picked up as a set locally in near mint condition!

At only 90 wpc I`m hoping my 4425s will get along well, 99.9 percent of my listening falls well short of the speakers 1 watt sensitivity level so I should be good.
    I must admit as a long time Crown owner/user/fan, I have no knowledge or experience with this particular series, only that they and the speakers are of the same vintage, maybe someone can enlighten me.
    Beautiful,i have never seen Crown receiver before
    46 lover

I find it incredibly funny that I now (almost two-years later) own Mike's Crowns that are the subject of this thread. Bought them from him through Canuck Audio Mart back in November and didn't realize until today that this was the same system or that Mike was an LH member!

What a very small world we live in!

I can now vouch both for his packing ability and for being forthright in his dealings. He turned a potentially problematic transaction at the hand of FedEx into a successful event and I have thanked him for his perseverance. I think we were both pleased with how it turned out!

So Mike, if you're still out there, thanks for the extra effort and nice to "meet" another LH member along the way.

All the best!

I hope you are listening to them regularly. Those are very nice pieces.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Nobody gonna ask how much they set the op back? Be his chance to make us all very jealous!

The SL2 is all over the map price-wise on Ebay these days, ranging from just under $300 to well-over $800 just for the pre-amp. Top dollar goes to the mint-condition black-faced models. It's reputation has been driving up the price at a rapid pace over the past two years.

I don't know what the OP paid for this set two-years ago but I paid a fair price for it two-months ago, considering a similar set went with the PL2 instead of PL3 and in a Crown wood case for just over $850 recently. I'd had a good month and Michael seemed like a trustworthy seller.

Funny, but now my complete Crown SL/FM/PL system originally made in USA came to me via Canada. Same for my more complete Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four, Pro-EQ 44, Pro-Tuner-Four, Pro-Power-Four system; made in California but sent to me from Montreal.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I have been trying to put a value to my mom's Crown SL/FM/PL system, but can't find a reliable source to help me out. My mom currently has the stereo in her basement and has tasked me with selling it. I figured you guys would be the best source since you are talking about the exact system that she has. It also has a Mission 775 turntable that she would like to see go with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Crownpltwo View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I have been trying to put a value to my mom's Crown SL/FM/PL system, but can't find a reliable source to help me out. My mom currently has the stereo in her basement and has tasked me with selling it. I figured you guys would be the best source since you are talking about the exact system that she has. It also has a Mission 775 turntable that she would like to see go with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Can't help with the turntable but as the owner of many Crowns I can tell what I see them going for.

Which amplifier do you have and are they in the Crown wood case or just separate? Which FM model?
    The PSL2 brings a little bit more than the SL2, though in reality there is no functional difference. I have both.
    Condition (photos?) are very important to ultimate value.

Obviously, from this thread, I have the Power Line Three amp and FM2 but I also have an FM3. I can tell you I paid Michael $850 including shipping from Canada for the set I purchased four-years ago in perfect working and cosmetic condition.

It has always been said, and has been proven by Ebay results, the the black/graphite versions bring more than the silver-faced Crowns, though a complete 3-piece silver-face set might help the value as opposed to random individual units in silver.

You can check Ebay completed auctions for a rough guess as to price. You'll mostly find individual units. Location has a lot to do with the results if you don't want to pack and ship, which puts you at a bit of a metropolitan-area size disadvantage where you are.

You're welcome to place an ad with photos and pricing here. We do sometimes bite but always appreciate honesty.

It is the fm two, powerline two and straighline two. All stacked in the wood case. Name:  IMG-ce7f999c8e3e1894647a08368fc504ec-V.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  94.8 KB

Looks very nice. I have one set with rack-handles and one without. Again, as a set it probably makes little difference but many seem to prefer the separates with just the rack-ears instead of the handles.

I would think if you posted it here with a fair price it would save you the hassle of fees and dealing with the general public.

Here's one similar set that sold for $715.

And another that went for over $1000. Remember to deduct for Ebay fees!

If I were you, I'd give it a good home yourself. . . forever!

Thread Information