Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any active EQ users out there?

Any active EQ users out there?

Yes, I use a DSP and it has different settings whether I'm listening to my kit quietly in my living room or loud outside
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Me too, XTA 226 on xover/dsp duties.

Yes, while my diy speakers are still a work in progress, using a Bryston active crossover and White Instruments 4004 double tuned LC fully passive (no power cord) parametric equalizer's. I don't think I would want to need to EQ a finished system. A competently designed system of the last two or three decades should not require it. The room may be another matter.

Judging by the thread title I thought it was a yes or no thing.

DBX 4800, I can beat damn near anything into submission with this thing!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I'm building a custom speaker system according to plans provided by George Augspurger and, until and unless I know better from experience, am following his advice to use an equalizer. He does not mandate any particular crossover or equalizer, but since so many users of his dual-15" monitors have chosen the Bryston 10B crossover and the White Instruments 4700-2 equalizer, that's what I'm starting out with...

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by dubkarma View Post
    I'm building a custom speaker system according to plans provided by George Augspurger and, until and unless I know better from experience, am following his advice to use an equalizer. He does not mandate any particular crossover or equalizer, but since so many users of his dual-15" monitors have chosen the Bryston 10B crossover and the White Instruments 4700-2 equalizer, that's what I'm starting out with...
    my understanding is that initially at least, GA had been using the White Instruments plug in module crossovers also....

maybe the switch to the Bryston 10B came about when the octal modules became scarce?

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    my understanding is that initially at least, GA had been using the White Instruments plug in module crossovers also....

maybe the switch to the Bryston 10B came about when the octal modules became scarce?
    The mono White 4700s with crossover card is an option Augspurger mentions, though, again, does not mandate. In my case, he suggested that the Bryston 10B I already had was a quality crossover and that I just needed to add an equalizer (particularly for the LF). Again, he didn't specify the White 4700, but when I found one for a couple of hundred locally, he thought it would work fine in the room I had and with the speaker system he was designing.

The Bryston is an excellent choice, getting one factory set that is dedicated to your frequency and slopes is the ideal and what a studio would do, but the sonic hit of the variable 10B is slight.

After you've had a go at the White 4700(s) or the 4700-2, I would suggest trying a pair of the 4400 series. I own both and they are not the same. The older 4400s were discontinued due to cost of production... I think they sound significantly better, particularly in the midrange. The 4700s have a distinct hard or glaring type of sound. Since you're only into it for a couple of hundred bucks, you can always experiment later.

Widget

Thread Information