Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: JBL L100T, Restoring and Upgrading!

Quote Originally Posted by ramin_audio View Post
    The tweeter and the midrange look to be very simillar.
    240Ti uses 044Ti and L100T uses 035Ti. They are very similar. (OK, 044Ti may be a little bit better I guess!)
    The midrange should be about the same too.

2214H is not the best JBL has made in the 80's, but they should be capable enough!

I believe the real difference is due to the better crossover network in 240Ti. JBL 4312A sounds "night and day" different with the better xo Frank made for them.

If I find a pair of 044Ti ... I will jump on them!
    Are those L100T pictured the ones you now have? The mids don't look quite right. Maybe just the light or flash.

David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Are those L100T pictured the ones you now have? The mids don't look quite right. Maybe just the light or flash.

No. I just found them in Google.

This one is mine:
    Name:  014.JPG
Views: 3953
Size:  216.5 KB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-VINTAGE-...item20c180104f

They look like the older silver model, but it might just be the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-VINTAGE-...item20c180104f

They look like the older silver model, but it might just be the flash.
    The auction is ended... and they were sold for 313$.
    I'm happy I got there late... saved me lots of $$...

Aren't the 044Ti the unobtainium tweeters in the 18ti, the 250ti and many of the ti series?
    Don't they always go for a LOT more than the 035tia tweeters?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Aren't the 044Ti the unobtainium tweeters in the 18ti, the 250ti and many of the ti series?
    Do they?!

Oh, I am not jumping on them anymore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep! They were in the 18Ti, 120Ti, 240Ti, and 250Ti. Not sure if they were in any others and yes, the go for A LOT more than the 035Ti or 035Tia. I got a pair of used 035Tia's a couple weeks ago for my garage L60T's for $70.

Just to be sure: The midrange and tweeter in the L100T are the same as those in the 4412 Studio Monitor -- right?

The woofers have the same magnetic structure, but different cone and metal basket.

I can't wait to have them back at my listening room...

For example, I know that the JBL 240Ti is a higher class JBL. But, when comparing L100T to them, I see that with a better xo, my L100T's may even sound better than 240Ti's (in their original condition). Not to mention, I am going to build new cabinets with 1" MDF and do some necessary bracing ... I don't see how they won't sound as good as (or may even better than) ... say, 6K$ new speaker!
    T I added L-pads to the pair of L100S's and by turning down the mid and tweet, I could voice the "S" to sound "just" like the 240Ti, with the bass being a bit heavier. So the L100T(3) is not really so far off from the 240Ti in the sense that they can be tamed down to the 240ti level. I also think the L100T(3) favors comparably to much pricier speakers I've heard. In fact, there aren't many speakers I've heard that I like better. Better is difficult to quantify, if it's better quality but you don't care for it, is it still better? To my mom who came over the other day and started talking to me about Bose speakers, better is what the TV says it is.

The tweeter and the midrange look to be very simillar.
    240Ti uses 044Ti and L100T uses 035Ti. They are very similar. (OK, 044Ti may be a little bit better I guess!)
    The midrange should be about the same too.

2214H is not the best JBL has made in the 80's, but they should be capable enough!

I believe the real difference is due to the better crossover network in 240Ti. JBL 4312A sounds "night and day" different with the better xo Frank made for them.

I wouldn't mess with the 035ti. It is very airy in a way you won't get from the 044ti/240Ti. In my experience, the biggest difference in sound between the 240Ti and the L100T(3) is simply the voicing, not performance. Other than the 4" voice coil of the LE14H, the rest is about the same, if you turn down (L-Pad) the tweeter and mid of the L100T(3). To me it's just a few performance tweaks that make the 240Ti a superior speaker, such as a better box, and probably better crossover, slightly better parts..slightly. The sound is not greatly superior, but it is different.

Of course it isn't as simple as swapping out the two tweeters, if your speakers came with the 044ti, then in order to get back to the same sound as before, you would want the 044ti, not that it is better, just that it is better for that speaker it was made to play with. The 044ti has been discontinued, that is why they are so expensive, I wouldn't covet them over an 035ti for your application.

I'll say it again, the 2214 is an excellent woofer and doesn't give much away to say the LE14H, and gives nothing away below say 50 watts. Less than 50 watts and its better - in my room, with my equipment...disclaimer.

There are good deals to be had on 240ti's. You can probably pick up a pair for about $600. Just post WTB in the Lansing Market Place.

if you turn down (L-Pad) the tweeter and mid of the L100T(3)
    What L-Pads?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    I wouldn't mess with the 035ti. It is very airy in a way you won't get from the 044ti/240Ti.
    I also need a bigger hole for the 044Ti. It is mounted quite differently. Nevertheless, it "must" sound slightly better than the 035Ti, but maybe not that differently, and it's not worth the trouble and the cost.

In my experience, the biggest difference in sound between the 240Ti and the L100T(3) is simply the voicing, not performance. Other than the 4" voice coil of the LE14H, the rest is about the same, if you turn down (L-Pad) the tweeter and mid of the L100T(3). To me it's just a few performance tweaks that make the 240Ti a superior speaker, such as a better box, and probably better crossover, slightly better parts..slightly. The sound is not greatly superior, but it is different.
    I agree, and that's why I decided to give them to a pro to design a new xo with top-quality parts. I could upgrade the xo with better caps and change it to T3 version myself... I hope they are really worth it.

Of course it isn't as simple as swapping out the two tweeters, if your speakers came with the 044ti, then in order to get back to the same sound as before, you would want the 044ti, not that it is better, just that it is better for that speaker it was made to play with. The 044ti has been discontinued, that is why they are so expensive, I wouldn't covet them over an 035ti for your application.
    I think, I could just use the same xo and just change the tweeter, and I believe it must sound slightly better ... but I have to edit the cabinets and these tweeters are costly and rare, and there is no repair parts for them anymore. So, I decided to stay with the 035Ti.

I'll say it again, the 2214 is an excellent woofer and doesn't give much away to say the LE14H, and gives nothing away below say 50 watts. Less than 50 watts and its better - in my room, with my equipment...disclaimer.
    They looked fine to me... I can't wait to give them a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What L-Pads?

Rob
    The L-Pads on my L100S. I think the poster may be implementing them on his new x-over design also.

I think, I could just use the same xo and just change the tweeter, and I believe it must sound slightly better ... but I have to edit the cabinets and these tweeters are costly and rare, and there is no repair parts for them anymore. So, I decided to stay with the 035Ti.
    But why do you think the 044ti is better? It's really difficult to compare the difference in sound between these two tweeters unless you have them side by side and turn down the 035ti by 3-4db in the L100T3. I think that the 250ti is definitely a better speaker than the L100T. But you're not just talking about better parts, you're talking about better implementation. What I'm trying to explain is that just because the 044ti is on the truly coveted 250ti doesn't make the 044ti coveted any more than the 240ti is coveted. It's only rare because they don't make it anymore. It's only coveted because all those 250ti owners who never thought they would have to buy another speaker are freakin out because they don't have a replacement solution and they don't want to carve out a bigger hole for the 035ti!

I think you're on the right path with your upgrades, and I think that the results can yield you performance better than the 240ti - at certain volumes. I already think my T3's sound better than my 240ti's in many passages. But I think you're getting off in the wrong direction to think that an 044ti is an upgrade for the 035ti. If you want a 044ti, consider buying a 240ti or 250ti, that's what they were designed with.

Do what you can with the L100T, it's a great speaker. And when you have taken it as far as it can go, love it for what it is blemishes and all.

But why do you think the 044ti is better? It's really difficult to compare the difference in sound between these two tweeters unless you have them side by side and turn down the 035ti by 3-4db in the L100T3. I think that the 250ti is definitely a better speaker than the L100T. But you're not just talking about better parts, you're talking about better implementation. What I'm trying to explain is that just because the 044ti is on the truly coveted 250ti doesn't make the 044ti coveted any more than the 240ti is coveted. It's only rare because they don't make it anymore. It's only coveted because all those 250ti owners who never thought they would have to buy another speaker are freakin out because they don't have a replacement solution and they don't want to carve out a bigger hole for the 035ti!
    I said 044Ti is slightly better, because it is almost the same as 035Ti. The only difference is that it is made (as JBL claims) with slightly better materials. But, in any case, they should be very close.
    Maybe I am wrong, and I have never heard a 044Ti, but has had 035Ti's and loved them.

Are you implying JBL still make the 035Ti's? I really need one right now. How can I get one?

I really need one right now. How can I get one?
    These are ending in ~4 hours, no affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260939856271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1115Bookshelf speakers JBL L20T

Edit: As pointed out later, these have blown tweeters- please ignore this.
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

I said 044Ti is slightly better, because it is almost the same as 035Ti. The only difference is that it is made (as JBL claims) with slightly better materials. But, in any case, they should be very close.
    Maybe I am wrong, and I have never heard a 044Ti, but has had 035Ti's and loved them.

Are you implying JBL still make the 035Ti's? I really need one right now. How can I get one?
    Oh yeah, as far as I know they still do. The new version is the 035tia, used on the T3 and L7and similar. I am not sure where one goes to JBL to buy replacement parts. You could also check Ebay.

Thread Information