Thread: JBL SE401 Energizer, experience anyone?

JBL SE401 Energizer, experience anyone?

Greetings everyone,

I recently acquired a JBL SE401 amp, which is the Germanium type transistorized power amp. I've done a little research for which there is very little written about these especially the equalizer cards that plug in which are tailored for JBL sysems such as S7, S8......
    The one that I have has the equalizer card for a Paragon, which I do not have. I will try the amp out bypassing the equalizer, anyone here have any experience with these? The equalizer cards?

Thanks,

Gary

Rafael
    Gary,

i'm stiill searching for the schematic of those cards for the paragon since my cards are labeled "flat" in my beloved 401. Would be really great if you could help me.

thanks in advance,

Rafael

Quote Originally Posted by roads31 View Post
    Greetings everyone,

I recently acquired a JBL SE401 amp, which is the Germanium type transistorized power amp. I've done a little research for which there is very little written about these especially the equalizer cards that plug in which are tailored for JBL sysems such as S7, S8......
    The one that I have has the equalizer card for a Paragon, which I do not have. I will try the amp out bypassing the equalizer, anyone here have any experience with these? The equalizer cards?

Thanks,

Gary
    Hi Gary - Yes, purchased one back in the Jurassic era - have a little info. here. To hook up the amp non-equalized, remove the card and swap it end for end. Also, keep an eye on the translucent serial number. If it lights up, "this indicates that one of the output stages is overloaded and a circuit breaker has opened to protect the power transistors." These amps were about 35 WPC (rms) as I recall and did not sound especially smooth. I also seem to recall they had other problems which JBL took care of. I traded mine in for 100% value after a few months use and ended up with a Crown D150 eventually. They were an example of the transitional era to SS amps and advertised simplicity of operation. No maintenance needed, ran in continuous idle mode with no off-on switch. While they had their advantages in simplicity; minimal heat, no tubes to change, they could not compete with the likes of Marantz, Mac, Dyna tube gear for Hi Fi performance. Interesting idea for the time.

P.S. The 401 denoted purchased separately and 402 indicated installed from the factory.

Thanks

Hi Rafael and Mannermusic,

Thanks for the replies and Rafael, I have yet to come across anything, if I do I'll share it with you.
    I have played it and it does sound surprisingly decent, not what I expected. I don't see myself using it, but a nice piece for my collection. Maybe when I get some time, I'll create a schematic from the eq card and post it.

Gary

Equalizer boards schematic for Active crossover of Paragon using SE408S

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Gary,

i'm stiill searching for the schematic of those cards for the paragon since my cards are labeled "flat" in my beloved 401. Would be really great if you could help me.

thanks in advance,

Rafael
    I'm also searching the schematic of those equalizer boards. The reference seems to be M20. If anyone has the schematic or even boards available Iwould be interested.

Thread Information