Thread: Thinking of custom horn/driver adapter - must be non-ferrous? Already available?

Thinking of custom horn/driver adapter - must be non-ferrous? Already available?

Hey, new guy here with my first set of questions. I have a set of PA speakers needing a horn driver update/upgrade, and I'm leaning toward 2425J, possibly with radian diaphragms. The cabs were Fender branded, and built by Panasonic in Japan; 2-way 12".

The horns resemble (if only slightly) baby-cheeks. The rear of the horn is female-thread, but instead of the 'industry standard' 1 3/8", it's 1 1/4".

So, I'll need to get creative in my own shop, or hire a local machinist.
    ? Does the material need to be non-ferrous? (non-magnetic?).

I'm thinking flat 3-bolt flange, with the necessary 1-1/4" male nipple...
    ? Does anyone already offer such an adapter?

Any other thoughts before I take the plunge?

Welcome to the Forum.

Take a look here;
    http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm There are some adapters in the Horns and Drivers section.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Thanks Don.

I don't see anything that hits the 1-1/4", so I'll plan on visiting local machinists. I also came to realize if I purchase 2426 units with the included adapter, the machinist will have a choice about how to go about making the fit.

You might try visiting the plumbing dept of your local box store to see if your threads match a standard pipe size. They may have a flange or something that could be re-purposed easier than starting from scratch.

And I correct in thinking the adapter I construct needs to be non-magnetic?

I've been using two machinists for my current project; producing custom alternator brackets for 1955-1969 Chevys with headers and no accessory bolt holes.

One does CNC/plasma cutting and the other does aluminum milling. Both are very hungry and eager for work (= not much $$$ and fast turnaround).

As an example, I am having 1/4" steel brackets turned out at $12 each in lots of 20 (was only $25 for the prototype) and billet aluminum spacers also at just $12 each in a lots of 10 with no setup fees. There is no minimum. A singleton of a new design, with set-up, would be ~$25.

I'm in So Cal (Orange County). If you are in the area, I would be happy to share my sources.

Thread Information