Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small Speaker-Big Sound suggestions

Karmic Chameleon

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    The universe is supposed to be a hard, cold, uncaring place, but I've noticed that when you are doing something for the right reason a lot of times the stars do tend to line up right. You are definitely doing a very good deed, and I'm very happy that the stars cooperated!
    Me Too!

Yes, I've noticed that too, I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around, for better or for worse sometimes, just trying to score some good Karma points
    Just Play Music.

Update:

After all the running around (literally) and after several discussions with my friend he would not take any of the speakers offered, any!
    Did I mention he was a little eccentric I have tried to convince him into at least auditioning them but he would not have it, I even offered to pay for shipping both ways but no deal. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water blah blah blah.

Some of his misgivings are that these are not new speakers & might be flawed. the other aspect to his aversion is that he would need 4 matching speakers cause he wants to play "one" CD (a pink floyd release, either wish or dark side) that is made for a quadrophonic system, so he needs 4 identical new speakers to do that.
    He would also need a 5.1 receiver to split the signal, further complicating things. I then suggested the Control 1 monitors which he informed me were garbage, and that he would need a sub to make it work. I did say he was eccentric didnt I? He is looking to spend $200.00 for a 5.1 new receiver, I dont know that you can find something quality for that amount but then again we all have different concepts of what that term means.

I informed him that if he liked any of the models you/"one" could search out a second pair but he thinks that two sets of used speakers would not be fine tuned enough to provide propper playback, meaning they would sound different because they are used. I have some cheap gear and some higher end gear and I actually have 2 sets of 4313B's which I would be damned if I could tell the difference in sound if they were mixed up but when someone has their mind made up it is what it is.
    He did tell me he had looked at the JBL website (whick one I dont know) and saw some speakers that he felt would fit the bill, I asked him to give me the model numbers & hopefully I'll see what he actually is looking at, I have a feeling its their new offerings.

In any case I just kind of gave up and will easily find use for the speakers I had to offer.

BTW, 99% of his listening is done on headphones cause he doesnt want to get hassled by the neighbors, I just figured with some decent speakers he doesnt have to crank them to still enjoy them but....

Thank you all for your input, all well intentioned and I appreciate it, all is not wasted, I'll be using those XPL's on something in the near future
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    he wants to play "one" CD (a pink floyd release, either wish or dark side) that is made for a quadrophonic system, so he needs 4 identical new speakers to do that.
    Fred
    I think you are spinning your wheels while trying to be a good friend ....I'd just give my recommends and let him do what he wants.

for either of those PF albums ...a GOOD sub is needed ...DSOM is very bass heavy.
    WYWH was just re-released last year and the lows are great..

I picked up the SACD ver. & the BD one ....the bluray is noticeably better.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Fred
    I think you are spinning your wheels while trying to be a good friend ....I'd just give my recommends and let him do what he wants.
    I picked up the SACD ver. & the BD one ....the bluray is noticeably better.
    I agree 110% I've left it alone, not trying to convert anyone, he's a very smart guy, much smarter than I am, I offered & am walking away so to speak
    Just Play Music.

he's a very smart guy, much smarter than I am, I offered & am walking away so to speak
    is his name Sheldon Cooper ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

No. Who is Sheldon Cooper, is he smarter than I am (I'm not that smart BTW, in case you havent noticed ).
    Just Play Music.

No. Who is Sheldon Cooper, is he smarter than I am (I'm not that smart BTW, in case you havent noticed ).
    Thats Doctor Sheldon Cooper to you!

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

(google is yer fren ...)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thats about right! (he's about 25years older +-, think Jeff Daniels/Shaggy composite, with perhaps a wee bit more emphasis on Shaggy ).
    Goes to show just how on top of things I am, I've never seen a full episode of the show but I am aware of it .

Thank you for the enlightening me

(How does Tom keep up with all this stuff?)
    Just Play Music.

It sucks that your friend has to turn his nose up at your attempt to help. But I am not surprised, I've seen it many times before myself. Nice that you tried.

Let him do without.

L-19s

I'm kinda Smitten by these of late,

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    It sucks that your friend has to turn his nose up at your attempt to help. But I am not surprised, I've seen it many times before myself. Nice that you tried.
    Let him do without.

It happens pathfinder, he has some very definite opinions & he's entitled to them as we are to our own, it was in the back of my mind as I started this little journey so I wasnt totally surprised, I've known him for a while. I may have been more surprised actually if had accepted them outright
    Its ok, he'll find something that he'll be happy with.

Hi Audiobeer,
    L-19's heh, I've never heard a pair but they must be pretty nice if you like em.
    There are plenty of sleepers out there yet me thinks.
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information