Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Speaker-Big Sound suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Tom, that's too funny - I started out in produce before I went back to school at 30 and eventually into IT.
    looks like they are as out of business as this post is OT

http://www.yelp.com/biz/uncle-pauls-...arket-portland

thats prolly why I found the cap How'ya doin' Paul ?

anyway , back to topic .....I like the 18Ti idea, also 4406's and 4408's are fairly
    easy to come by and are very musical .... had L19's and really liked them too

heck, I'm a sucker for small 2 ways .... currently have some LOGIK 2 way 6 inchers
    playing and they are small giant killers
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

4208's (?!)

Here's an unpopular opinion. 4208's..
    I've been swapping around between the 4406's, L60T's, 4410's and these and I keep coming back to these homely little things. They're the most natural, the most dynamic, and easiest to listen to of the bunch and to boot they go the loudest without pooping out (amp is a Mac 2105). Must be the waveguides and some great network engineering because logic says it sure ain't the stamped steel woofs with the little magnets. Except for the L60t's they're also the cheapest. If you're lucky probably $125/pr at the moment.
    If someone makes a respectable wood veneered cabinet for these they might hold their own in proper circles.

Hello Berf!, & thank you for the sugestions, got a couple of prospects in sight but nothing carved in stone, always open to new ideas.One thing that dawned upon me is the fact that due to my friends living arangement the candidates should probably be front ported so I'm kind of reconsidering the L1's based on BMWCCA'S observations. Dimensions are still crucial as the speakers are probably sitting on shelves or right on a desk top up against a wall.
    Will look into them & thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    anyway , back to topic .....I like the 18Ti idea, also 4406's and 4408's are fairlyeast to come by and are very musical .... had L19's and really liked them too heck, I'm a sucker for small 2 ways .... currently have some LOGIK 2 way 6 inchersplaying and they are small giant killers
    Hello Mr. Seawolf!
    On topic or Off T is never an issue with me, I kind of like it when the "conversation" kind of evolves, seems more interesting & natural to me, like friends talking
    The main thing I have to keep in mind is the dimensions of the "beasts" , thats the only thing I want to adhere to, you got plenty of experience with lots of JBL's so I appreciate the suggestions, thank you!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by krunchy View Post
    one thing that i dawned upon me is the fact that due to my friends living arangement the candidates should probably be front ported so i'm kind of reconsidering the l1's based on bmwcca's observations.
    L20t:

Name:  Passing-of-the-L20T.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  40.2 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi guys, those puppies dont seem that big, ceratainly whithin what I would think do-able. Its always intersting seeing them in scale, really gives one a better sense then when posing for their portrait

You guys have been so helpful, thank you so much!
    Just Play Music.

Thank you Jonis!

Took a little trip yesterday on a lead given to me by Jonis (for an ad on craigslist CT) for a set of XPL 90A's & some HK gear (HARMON KARDON HD 720 & AVR 25) $160.00.
    It was a good day for a road trip, very cold up here & it seemed like most people wanted to stay inside so I flew up there (Enfield CT) doing 70+ most of the way (except in NY ), still took me about 3hr+ each way but I was into it so it didnt seem that bad.

The speakers were in very good shape except for som scratches on one of them otherwise they would have been mint. The HK gear seems ok but I think its fairly low end stuff & wont be surprised if it breaks down in the near future.

This is a picture from the ad.

I set them up this morning this morning to see how they sounded compared to the Wharfedales that I got a while back, before I got into JBLs. I use these in the living room as I am pressed for space (see last picture) ( I really wanted to set up some 4313B's but thats just not going to fly).

Did an A-B comparison and the XPLs are definitely livelier, bass is a little tighter & the highs are a little more pronounced & brighter than the Wharfedales, which is one of the things I felt they lacked at least for my taste. Wharfedales arent bad they are just a little bit muted compared to the JBL's .All in all a worthwhile trip, I have a pair of L15s lent out to a friend and will be getting them back soon & then I'll take a trip to visit my friend in Albany, for whom these were intended, I'll probably bring all three pairs & see what he likes.

Thank you for all your input guys & thanks again Jonis

Name:  XPL90A2.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  100.2 KBName:  XPL90A.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  66.6 KB

The windos just make it very challenging to integrate anything into this space, opposite the windows is a stair so this is where they have to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just Play Music.

Krunchy,
    Glad I could help and it all looks good, aside maybe from your time involved. If you are like me and like to take a nice Sunday drive, then not bad at all.
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

Hi Jonis!

Yeah the drive was not too bad & I was in the mood for it so I didnt mind it. Pictures dont do justice to the Piano black finish, very nice, and they are heavy little suckers, heavier than the Wharfedales. Definietely nice little speakers & they sound great.

Thanks again!
    Just Play Music.

I like the Wharfie look...

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi Jonis!

Yeah the drive was not too bad & I was in the mood for it so I didnt mind it. Pictures dont do justice to the Piano black finish, very nice, and they are heavy little suckers, heavier than the Wharfedales. Definietely nice little speakers & they sound great.

Thanks again!
    Kind of a B&W look. Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    Kind of a B&W look. Great thread.
    Yeah... I was thinking the little JBLs are certainly out classed in the looks department.

Widget

Hi Guys,
    yeah the Wharfedales (evo 10s or a re-issue of them I believe) are aesthetically very nice, they are very neutral sounding, I got those back in 2006 from audioadvisor, I think $400.00. They are not bad at all but the XPL's definitely have a slight edge on them. A lot of my furniture & kitchen is in that mahogany range but mainly it was the space constraints that put them there.

Harman Kardon:
    I hooked up the gear that came with the "package deal" and I gotta say its not bad at all, sounds pretty damned good actually, pleasantly surprised (I opened the units up to do a little sprucing up before trying them out & they were actually very clean).
    I think the Wharfedales need an amp that has bass & treble adjustments just to tweak the sound a little bit (not real purist-like but I always liked the option), all in all its not a bad system. The cd platter kind of skips a little when you open it but otherwise it seems ok

Mr. Widget, thats your adcom in there, still in action
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just Play Music.

Great Score!

Hi Jonis!

Thanks again!
    You did great finding a pair so quickly and at a great price too! I'd only mentioned them to give you awareness as you began your search. Before I got my pair I'd scoured CL, eBay, and other sites for months without a hit. I agree as well about pictures not doing them justice, none of mine have come close. In person you would be hard pressed to say these were '80's speakers. BTW, the finish is a true piano black lacquer, so you can take them to any piano repair facility for repair.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    You did great finding a pair so quickly and at a great price too! I'd only mentioned them to give you awareness as you began your search. Before I got my pair I'd scoured CL, eBay, and other sites for months without a hit. I agree as well about pictures not doing them justice, none of mine have come close. In person you would be hard pressed to say these were '80's speakers. BTW, the finish is a true piano black lacquer, so you can take them to any piano repair facility for repair.
    Hi Uncle Paul!

I'll tell you, this was a surprise to me as well, I did not think I would find any coming up this soon as well (no where near close time wise), I guess the star alignment was good I thought the price was good as well, the HK gear was just an added bonus. Thanks for your suggestion, and I'll keep the piano repair shop option in mind though I think the repair would probably cost more than the speaker package themselves. The whole rig was in truly great condition AFAIC.

Thank you kindly Sir!
    Just Play Music.

Good Score! Those are keepers!

Hi Uncle Paul!

I'll tell you, this was a surprise to me as well, I did not think I would find any coming up this soon as well (no where near close time wise), I guess the star alignment was good I thought the price was good as well, the HK gear was just an added bonus. Thanks for your suggestion, and I'll keep the piano repair shop option in mind though I think the repair would probably cost more than the speaker package themselves. The whole rig was in truly great condition AFAIC.

Thank you kindly Sir!
    The universe is supposed to be a hard, cold, uncaring place, but I've noticed that when you are doing something for the right reason a lot of times the stars do tend to line up right. You are definitely doing a very good deed, and I'm very happy that the stars cooperated!
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread Information