Thread: Repair help with JBL 2213H spider / cone

Repair help with JBL 2213H spider / cone

I have a JBL 2213H with A PUSHED OUT SPIDER / CONE.
    Two photos below for comparison.
    Difference is 1/8” to ¼” out / higher.
    I’m looking for any previous treads or discussions on this phenomena.
    How much does it effect the sound?
    Thanks - SB
    Name:  012.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  97.3 KBName:  019.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  94.2 KB

WOW, that's crazy looking! Have you taken the woofer out to have a look at the spider? The last time I had a woofer look like that the spider had de-laminated off the basket and the Voice Coil was out of the gap. Considering that these likely don't have the throw mine have, I would have to say that's what has happened.

I suppose it's possible that the spider is still attached but that the V.C came out of the gap and is sitting on the basket. If so you may be able to put it back into the gap.

Edit: Oh, and push in on the cone from the outside to see if the V.C. is rubbing, it could be deformed, or somehow jammed in the gap.

Let me be a bit more specific..

Push in on the cone carefully, if it doesn't move you voice coil is either out of the gap or is completely fused or distorted.

If it's out of the gap.. you can try to put it back into the gap by taking the woofer out of the cab and lifting the cone up from underneath, and wiggling it back down into the gap. That's if it didn't rip the spider apart or off the basket, you'll be able to see that once you take it out. If it didn't rip the spider or damage the lead wires, or otherwise damage the wires in the v.c, it should still work. Get a volt meter and measure the resistance of the woofer. I'm not sure what the measure should be but you can search that info or check the other woofer to see if they're close. That will tell you if the v.c or the lead wire became damaged.

If the v.c is deformed it will rub when you try to push in on the cone, and you will hear and feel it. It's ruined, if so.

If the v.c is not out of the gap but is jammed or fused to the basket, it's ruined.

A v.c. will come out of the gap if pushed too hard, or when the spider and or surround fails, or if they're really old and not providing enough resistance to keep the cone from moving too far.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!

More back ground

They play “fine”. Actually do sound OK. Hard to tell any difference from the sister speaker.
    Over the last three years I’ve restored about 6 pair of these 4312A’s so I’ve been through many used 2213H’s on Ebay.
    This actual pair was on loan to my cousin, and just came back to me after two years. While giving them the close look over I noticed one cone sittings prouder then the other.
    It would not bother me as much, if I had a matched pair of proud cones.
    I only have two pair of brand new factory coned 2213H’s left and I was planning on keeping them for my own collection.
    I think I’m going to rummage around for two nice matching 2213H’s and then sell off the two extra used ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    They play “fine”. one cone sittings prouder then the other.
    Ah! I had contemplated after posting, that perhaps they were just "pouchin out". I wondered if they had been stored face down for awhile...

Well, it puts the VC in an already extended position, and I would imagine that it would affect their excursion ability. But at low volume, I doubt it would matter much. Trust your ears, how do they sound to you? There are some treatments out there to soften the old spider and surround. I guess you could try them and see if that helps their form.

Glad they're working for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    Ah! I had contemplated after posting, that perhaps they were just "pouchin out". I wondered if they had been stored face down for awhile...

Well, it puts the VC in an already extended position, and I would imagine that it would affect their excursion ability. But at low volume, I doubt it would matter much. Trust your ears, how do they sound to you? There are some treatments out there to soften the old spider and surround. I guess you could try them and see if that helps their form.

Glad they're working for you!
    Since they work the VC is not out of place. I might suggest checking the back of the speakers to find out if anything got in there after the rear dust cover dried out and crumbled. Long shot but why not. I would also consider placing them face up and very gently and carefully heating the surrounds with a hair dryer or a heat gun but really carefully!!! I might place a bean bag or a bowl on the cone to help it move down.
    Rob

Thread Information