Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: S4700 for sale in the USA

Audio Video Logic in Des Moines stocks S4700 - 1400 array - K2 and Everest

We have all of the above in stock. At $20,000 pair US, the S4700 lands nicely between K2 and 1400 Array in both price and performance. It is markedly more dynamic with a less resonant quality to voices in the lower midrange and more linear bottom than the 1400 Array. It does not have the refined look or sound of the K2 though. It has a balanced sound overall, but a bit more forward in personality than the 1400 Array.

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if the consensus is the 1400 Arrays sound better than the S4700 for music? I purchased some 800 Arrays and the center channel for my HT last year paired with a SVS SB13 Ultra sub and like what I hear. That has peaked my interest in the 1400's for my two channel setup. I see a pair of S4700's on ebay for what might be a reasonable price and ran across this thread in the process of checking on them. TIA for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if the consensus is the 1400 Arrays sound better than the S4700 for music? I purchased some 800 Arrays and the center channel for my HT last year paired with a SVS SB13 Ultra sub and like what I hear. That has peaked my interest in the 1400's for my two channel setup. I see a pair of S4700's on ebay for what might be a reasonable price and ran across this thread in the process of checking on them. TIA for any input.
    I've heard them both and don't think it's even close. The 1400's sound much better to me.

Thanks. Anyone else?

I have had the 1400's for two or three years and have heard the 4700's several times but the spaces were so different it is nearly impossible for me to make a real judgement.

Here is what I think I know in a nut shell, the 1400 is smooth and the 4700 is live. The 4700 gets loud much faster but runs out of HF driver (gets harsh) about where the padded down (low efficiency) 1400 is just absorbing power and gone dynamically flat.

That's my two bits worth.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

LF Crossover Coils..??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    More about the S4700 in English.

Widget
    I understand this is an earlier thread but it saves me adding the pic of the 2 - PCB Crossover of the S4700.

Looking at those two inductors and the Technical Manual Schematic, they are listed as 0.2 mH and 0.5 mH. (??!!!) Can't see it myself.. I'm sure those

values should be closer to [guess] 2.2 and 3.5 mH respectively, to be as big as they are! (post #44 & #32)

As I would love to get some Parts and have a go at building a pair, I'd like to know what the true values would be...?

Kind Regards,
    DogBox
    [Steve]

Last edited by DogBox; 01-02-2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added post#'s of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    I understand this is an earlier thread but it saves me adding the pic of the 2 - PCB Crossover of the S4700.

Looking at those two inductors and the Technical Manual Schematic, they are listed as 0.2 mH and 0.5 mH. (??!!!) Can't see it myself.. I'm sure those

values should be closer to [guess] 2.2 and 3.5 mH respectively, to be as big as they are! (post #44 & #32)

As I would love to get some Parts and have a go at building a pair, I'd like to know what the true values would be...?

Kind Regards,
    DogBox
    [Steve]

You're right the sizes of those 2 coils are clearly wrong ( for the LF section ) .
    - ( iow; not 0.2mH + 0.5mH > even the capacitor sizes might be suspect ) .

You might want to track down some .frd + .zma files for the 2216nd woofer ( then play with coil values in a crossover simulator such as XSim ).

That'll help you nail down the coil values.

S4700 Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    You might want to track down some .frd + .zma files for the 2216nd woofer ( then play with coil values in a crossover simulator such as XSim ).

That'll help you nail down the coil values.

Hey Thanks Earl!

Only one 'slight' problem I have there.. Where would I find those .frd & .zma files? I did download the wonderful spreadsheet from Techbot, [Generous guy!] and

found the best set of parameters you could ask for! But where you say to play with a crossover simulator - I never did get to learn enough about using them when

I should've so now programs like that still seem way above my head to work out. Never quite had the finances for some of those Leap, etc., programs; so stuck to

circuit diagrams after someone more clever than me had worked it out! My dream to actually make a crossover never materialised...

Appreciate Your help, though!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

Thread Information