Thread: S4700 for sale in the USA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

S4700 for sale in the USA

JBL Synthesis:

The brand is launching three high-end speakers, including a $20,000 U.S./pair S4700 tower positioned as a more affordable version of the $44,000 U.S./pair K2-S9900.
    The S4700 is a three-way floorstanding speaker with 15- inch woofer, horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver, and horn-loaded ultra-high-frequency compression driver operating from 16kHz.
    In its Array series, JBL is bringing back two models discontinued a few years ago. Like other Array models, both feature a three-way design with woofer, horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver, and horn-loaded ultra-high-frequency compression driver.
    The Array 1000 is a floorstanding tower with a targeted suggested retail of about $9,000 U.S./pair. The Array 800 is a bookshelf speaker at a targeted $7,000 U.S./pair

http://canadahifi.com/index.php/new-...s-from-harman/

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post

The Array 800 is a bookshelf speaker at a targeted $7,000 U.S./pair

Man, I paid 1/3 of that for my pair during the closeout sale. And I personally would have a hard time paying much more for them.

They are great little speakers, and I'm sure they'll sell for a discount under MSRP, but that $7K figure is just insane for these little guys.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    They are great little speakers, and I'm sure they'll sell for a discount under MSRP, but that $7K figure is just insane for these little guys.
    Well, it doesn't make any sense to those of us who know what goes into them. But to someone with alot of disposable income who is buying an HT package and doesn't really pay much attention it does make sense.

In other words, in their target range, if you priced them for less, you couldn't sell any. The kind of people that buy them WANT to pay $7k for them. They'd be insulted to spend less.

Where do these people .....

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, it doesn't make any sense to those of us who know what goes into them. But to someone with alot of disposable income who is buying an HT package and doesn't really pay much attention it does make sense.

In other words, in their target range, if you priced them for less, you couldn't sell any. The kind of people that buy them WANT to pay $7k for them. They'd be insulted to spend less.
    live? More seriously, what drivers will they use?

Interesting concerning "what goes into them" comment. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the lineup, it appears.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Interesting concerning "what goes into them" comment. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the lineup, it appears.
    What goes into them:

One analogy might be that the drivers in the 800 Array and 1000 Array are to the drivers in the 1400 Array as the drivers in an L36 were to the drivers in an L96. Price points.

Also, the cost of the systems has far outpaced the cost of the components (one exception would be the Everest II and K2-S9900 components, those puppies are truly expensive endeavors). That's one reason why we are no longer able to buy components. One could build a clone for a very realistic price.

Remember back in the day when you could buy all the components for an L300 and build your own box? The cost savings wasn't all that impressive. You did it primarily because you enjoyed it. The guy or gal down the street who had no interest in spending any kind of time in a woodshop cheerfully spent the money to get the real deal.

If you could buy the components for a pair of S4700 clones and build your own boxes the cost savings would be staggering.

Also, the cost of the systems has far outpaced the cost of the components (one exception would be the Everest II and K2-S9900 components, those puppies are truly expensive endeavors). That's one reason why we are no longer able to buy components. One could build a clone for a very realistic price.
    If you could buy the components for a pair of S4700 clones and build your own boxes the cost savings would be staggering.
    You're absolutely right!
    There IS some cost saving when cloning the Everest II. But it's far from staggering

Without the help of forum friends it's impossible anyway.

What goes into them:

One analogy might be that the drivers in the 800 Array and 1000 Array are to the drivers in the 1400 Array as the drivers in an L36 were to the drivers in an L96. Price points.

Remember back in the day when you could buy all the components for an L300 and build your own box? The cost savings wasn't all that impressive. You did it primarily because you enjoyed it. The guy or gal down the street who had no interest in spending any kind of time in a woodshop cheerfully spent the money to get the real deal.

NO. I do not remember the good 'ole days. I do not build speakers. That-to me, is what JBL does(did). However, I do have have some speakers that were built by JBL. I actually paid $ for them. I am just curious where the cost cutting (@ the price point) lies. Example? 1400 Array.

Perhaps another would be S/2600. I am not a woodworker & never will be. No matter.

aside from announcing a bunch of products quoted in US $, don't see anything to indicate the JBL's will be for sale in the US?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post

JBL Synthesis:

The brand is launching three high-end speakers, including a $20,000 U.S./pair S4700 tower positioned as a more affordable version of the $44,000 U.S./pair K2-S9900.
    Thanks Valentin,

Our rep told us about the S-4700, but I didn't know about all the rest. I'll find out more next week at CES.

Widget

Audio Video Logic in Des Moines stocks S4700 - 1400 array - K2 and Everest

We have all of the above in stock. At $20,000 pair US, the S4700 lands nicely between K2 and 1400 Array in both price and performance. It is markedly more dynamic with a less resonant quality to voices in the lower midrange and more linear bottom than the 1400 Array. It does not have the refined look or sound of the K2 though. It has a balanced sound overall, but a bit more forward in personality than the 1400 Array.

Thread Information