Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S4700 for sale in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Funny as hell - actually, its from the the American INDIA Foundation ... there IS a difference!

I did note that when posting and thought it strange that the foundation would use a name synonymous with Native American. I figured since the PC shift from AI to NA is near complete, the decided to take the name over

I corrected mine if you want to delete yours
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    I did note that when posting and thought it strange that the foundation would use a name synonymous with Native American. I figured since the PC shift from AI to NA is near complete, the decided to take the name over

I corrected mine if you want to delete yours
    No problem - but CEO Dinesh Paliwalidingdongday is still a big troll!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I've thought of that... a pair of LE14H-4s, kind of a mini Everest II, but I have the LE14H-3s and don't have the -4... and then there is the R+D, Greg has already done it for the !400 Arrays.
    Ah! Yes, if you already have the -3's then definitely use them. So you're going to make some new enclosures for your current pair of 1400 Arrays then? Might as well just go with the old tried and true 250Ti volume of 4 cubic feet tuned to 28 Hz then?
    As for the SAM1HF/SAM2LF, it is kick ass as a HT solution punching far above it's weight as they say, but for music, even when calibrated through the SDECs in a proper Synthesis system... nope, I much prefer the 1400 Array. Now, compared to the lesser Arrays?
    I'm thinking of the SAM1HF with the 1400 Array filter whenever I suggest it. I think that's what Junior JBL ended up doing. I still have his SAM1HF networks. I think he built charge-coupled 1400 Array networks to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    There's also the 1501FE for some additional kick.
    Did you ever get yours sorted out?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Did you ever get yours sorted out?
    Nope.

Ah! Yes, if you already have the -3's then definitely use them. So you're going to make some new enclosures for your current pair of 1400 Arrays then?
    Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark. I may sell them afterwards, but I use them as demos already and in that context I really need to keep them around.

Now back to the S4700s... any ideas why they would engineer two new drivers? It seems to me they should have built the system around the 435AL and 045Ti and gone with a CC'd network.

Widget

Obsolete
    Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark.
    Definitely.
    Now back to the S4700s... any ideas why they would engineer two new drivers? It seems to me they should have built the system around the 435AL and 045Ti and gone with a CC'd network.
    My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

The system sure looks nice though.

Definitely.My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

I heard the S4600 (H-4, 175Nd-3, 138Nd) and the 4338 (1500FE, 435Al, 045Ti) in the same shop in Akihabara, and it was no contest, from that day I've been the convinced that the 435Al/045Ti combo is magic, and the 1400Array (which I haven't heard) testimonials continually back that.

Would love to get the 1400, 4700, 5800, 9900 in the Northridge rotating demo room with a cashiers check laid in front of me for which ever I picked blindly. This of course assumes the slightly flawed 9900 west coast cabinet discount is part of the deal

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Would love to get the 1400, 4700, 5800, 9900 in the Northridge rotating demo room with a cashiers check laid in front of me for which ever I picked blindly. This of course assumes the slightly flawed 9900 west coast cabinet discount is part of the deal
    I did have the 1400 and the 9900 in my living room... the 9900 with a sub beats the 1400. Add in the cost differential and the fact that I didn't have room for a sub and wasn't interested in hiding one under the house and porting it up... the 1400 won fairly easily. No regrets.

I didn't realize that JBL was already using those HF components in the S4600 (I really didn't pay much attention to it since it doesn't exist in my market). I guess it does make sense to use them then, but I have to believe in the blind shuffle room the 1400 Array would wipe the floor with the significantly more expensive S4700... open the curtain and the S4700 should hold it's own. The S4700 is a nicely balanced aesthetic design. I wonder how well it will sell... we have sold a couple of pairs of the K2-S9900s, they are very room friendly and seem to do well in the WAF department as well... too bad they cost as much as a new car! If they weren't so darned expensive I am sure we could sell more. I am sure JBL is aware of this and hence the S4700.

Widget

the K2-S9900s, they are very room friendly and seem to do well in the WAF department as well... too bad they cost as much as a new car! If they weren't so darned expensive I am sure we could sell more. I am sure JBL is aware of this and hence the S4700.

Widget
    The GAF ain't bad either.

The S4700 would have a harder time getting in the house here, especially with its boxier look. Those curves and the cleavage on the K2 S9900 do connect with some on a visceral level.

http://harmanhighperformance.blogspo...ebuts-its.html
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The GAF ain't bad either.

The S4700 would have a harder time getting in the house here, especially with its boxier look.

http://harmanhighperformance.blogspo...ebuts-its.html
    the article put it differently : "a furniture grade cherry wood finish accented by the graceful curves of the horn drivers and enclosure and its understated black grille cloth. The JBL S4700 will complement the most luxurious living environments and the finest music and home theater systems."

I have to believe in the blind shuffle room the 1400 Array would wipe the floor with the significantly more expensive S4700...
    Widget
    that's why I'd like to hear these systems together, in double blind. maybe you'll sell the 4700 and be able to run that comparison?

Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark. I may sell them afterwards, but I use them as demos already and in that context I really need to keep them around.
    I hope you will have time to try a 4" Be driver (476Be or 2450Be) as a replacement for the 435+045 down the road!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I hope you will have time to try a 4" Be driver (476Be or 2450Be) as a replacement for the 435+045 down the road!
    Since I have the Truextent Be diaphragms a 4" Be version could certainly be an eventual possibility, but it would require a bit more R+D to get the networks dialed in. I wouldn't rule it out as I am certain that it would be a worthy upgrade, but the 435AL sounds very good in the system already!

Widget

Definitely.My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

did i read that the woofer had dual 3" coils?

Thread Information