Thread: "Differential" amping some 4520s

"Differential" amping some 4520s

Providing I am using a stereo amp per 4520 cabinet, with each channel of the amp powering a 2225h. The amps are fed by a digital active crossover.

Currently the signal goes into one side of the amp and is daisy chained to the other side. Therefore, the amp sees the same signal on both channels. Now, what I want to do is to have one driver working between 35Hz and, say 500Hz, while the other driver only does the bottom 35Hz-to- 80Hz with probably a 18db slope.

I have two choices. Either make a passive crossover just before one of the driver with a cut-off at 80Hz, or make a filter just before the amp on one of the channels.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Providing I am using a stereo amp per 4520 cabinet, with each channel of the amp powering a 2225h. The amps are fed by a digital active crossover.

Currently the signal goes into one side of the amp and is daisy chained to the other side. Therefore, the amp sees the same signal on both channels. Now, what I want to do is to have one driver working between 35Hz and, say 500Hz, while the other driver only does the bottom 35Hz-to- 80Hz with probably a 18db slope.

I have two choices. Either make a passive crossover just before one of the driver with a cut-off at 80Hz, or make a filter just before the amp on one of the channels.

What are your thoughts?
    I would go with the second option, an active LPF on one side, just to avoid inserting a resistive and inductive load on one driver and end up with a difference between them and the way they are dampen.
    Strange things may happen at the slope knee however...
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I would go with the second option, an active LPF on one side, just to avoid inserting a resistive and inductive load on one driver and end up with a difference between them and the way they are dampen.
    Strange things may happen at the slope knee however...
    And a third option is to buy a second Behringer DCX 2496 and run 6 channels per side. 2 channels just for the 2225s ;-)

Thread Information