Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best imaging from C60 soveriegns

best imaging from C60 soveriegns

hi,
    i have a pair of JBL Sovereign C60s - and wondering if these have true audiophile capability when it comes to detail and imaging...

i've heard that these were the creme of the crop - and i'm currently running a McIntosh C11, into a MC240 into the JBLS but my room is very narrow - so i've positioned the speakers so that the tweeters are on the inside (not sure if this is how they are supposed to be or not) can't really find details...

i had once thought about bi-amping them, but not sure if it is worth it...

can anyone help?

i might retire them to a solid state setup and get something else to run with my Mac Tubes unless someone can convince me that these JBLS will outperform say B&W or Martin Logan etc...

i'm going to be moving my audio room soon, so it would be good to know exactly how much width i need to make these guys work in their ideal situation.... as the current space is clearly not wide enough..

cheers

Aaron

Which load do your C60s carry? S7R or S8R?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    i have a pair of JBL Sovereign C60s - and wondering if these have true audiophile capability when it comes to detail and imaging...
    The debate over the term "audiophile" aside and the huge range of definitions of what "good imaging" is, I'd say my short answer is no.

These speakers are more furniture than high end audio... the components can be extracted, better crossovers used and really great results realized, but the Sovereign and Olympus cabinets were designed before so much that we understand today was widely known.

Widget

S8r. Thx

Widget is spot on.

That being said - a simple crossover mod is enough to ensure lots of joy from these speakers.

Here's what I did to mine:
    LX5 - the switch just quit working, so I soldered shorts leaving it in middle position. The HF cap was bypassed by a realtively large cap (1.5uF).
    N7000 - No problems with the l-pad yet, so I just added bypass caps (0.01uF).

On the downside they are no longer original. The upside is that they are usable!

I have mine with the tweeters on the outside. That can give a wider stereo perspective, but with the limited dispersion from the 075 you'll need to get some distance between you and the speakers.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Widget is spot on.

That being said - a simple crossover mod is enough to ensure lots of joy from these speakers.

Here's what I did to mine:
    LX5 - the switch just quit working, so I soldered shorts leaving it in middle position. The HF cap was bypassed by a realtively large cap (1.5uF).
    N7000 - No problems with the l-pad yet, so I just added bypass caps (0.01uF).

On the downside they are no longer original. The upside is that they are usable!

I have mine with the tweeters on the outside. That can give a wider stereo perspective, but with the limited dispersion from the 075 you'll need to get some distance between you and the speakers.

thanks - i'm thinking i'm going to get an active crossover and bi-amp them with a nice solid state amp for the woofers - and keep my Mc240 on the mid/tweet -
    for the HF cap mod - when you say "bypassed" i'm assuming you mean that you replaced the stock cap with a larger cap? what voltage is sufficient for this?

you wouldn't happen to have a photo of yours with the mod? thanks

Aaron

Sorry, didn't take photos of the mod's.

I placed the new cap's in parallell with the old caps. No caps removed.

If you replace the LX5 with an active crossover it could be almost as easy to just build a new N7000. There really aren't that many components.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

thanks - i'm thinking i'm going to get an active crossover and bi-amp them with a nice solid state amp for the woofers - and keep my Mc240 on the mid/tweet -
    Not at all a bad starting point. Get a quality active crossover, i.e. one that is at the level of your other gear or at the level you eventually hope to achieve.

Beyond the cabinet design there is something else to consider with the S8R. The HL93 short exponential horn is being asked to mate to a woofer that likes to go to 500Hz. In the 60's JBL rated that horn for that service. In the 70's they derated it and called it a 1200Hz horn. This is not trivial.

Widget

so there is a 500-1200hz range that is missing...

can anything be done to "replace" that?

thanks

Aaron

so there is a 500-1200hz range that is missing...

can anything be done to "replace" that?

thanks

Aaron
    Missing may not be exactly the right wording, but the performance in this critical range is certainly lacking.

You have two choices, add a midbass driver as in the 4343 or 4350 or change the horn. The 375 driver is excellent.

Widget

The range is not 'missing', it's just outside of the woofer and driver/horn's optimum operating area
    such that other, more modern drivers might operate in this range more ... optimally (lower distortion,
    less noticeable/stereotypical horn characteristics.

I wouldn't be immediately worrying about it, especially if you like the sound. Updating the crossover
    would be a good way to wet your feet, so to speak.
    Last edited by grumpy; 01-03-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: LOL... I type too slowly. See Widget's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I wouldn't be immediately worrying about it, especially if you like the sound. Updating the crossover
    would be a good way to wet your feet, so to speak.
    I agree, however, for many who damn these and other vintage JBLs as having a "horn sound", I think it is primarily due to the use of a horn below it's optimal range.

But then there are those who covet the vintage "horn sound".

Widget

i've been playing with these for some time now - so my feet are certainly "WET" Lol -

i wouldn't say that i notice these as "horny" sounding speakers, but i've often noticed something missing that I do hear in other speakers - and that 500-1200hz mid range is probably the lack of warmth i'm missing..

what "HORN" would you recommend? and will it fit inside the cabinet? or would i have to do serious serious mods?

Thanks

Aaron

As I mentioned early on, if you want "high-end" performance, lose the cabinets. If the furniture look is paramount, try going active and add an equalizer and hope for the best. I don't think you can get a better horn in that cabinet and in any event, just like the current one it'll be fighting the near floor placement and that grille.

Personally, I'd save the 375s, sell the rest and start over... though I wouldn't recommend a novice to take that route.

On a parallel topic, what condition are your LE15A woofer surrounds in?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    As I mentioned early on, if you want "high-end" performance, lose the cabinets. If the furniture look is paramount, try going active and add an equalizer and hope for the best. I don't think you can get a better horn in that cabinet and in any event, just like the current one it'll be fighting the near floor placement and that grille.

Personally, I'd save the 375s, sell the rest and start over... though I wouldn't recommend a novice to take that route.

On a parallel topic, what condition are your LE15A woofer surrounds in?

Widget
    thanks - i'm going to keep the furniture look and try to do the best with them... the surrounds on my LE15a are perfect and original - they were very well taken care of.

thanks

Aaron

Thread Information