Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL L300 Modification by Nelson Pass

Quote Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
    Hi Rich,

I know you are busy .. and I have heard your latest project. I am kinda torn about this upgrade. Firstly, Comparing my pair of 4343s against L300s "out of the box", IMHO, the 4343s run rings around them. Personally .. treading on ice here, I found my original L300s to be boomy and aggressive in mid/highs. The 4343s cured pretty well all of that. It would be nice to do all this with fewer units and simpler crossover and once the active crossover (on my project) is in place I should be able to simplify the passive part on the three top units in my 4343s and that is about as far as I would go. I am not convinced that these older horn units can be extended and tamed to cover accurately a broader audio spectrum. Can anyone nearby demo that I am wrong...please?
    Having said all of that, I would love to hear the L300s again... especially with Nelson's new crossover.. so let me know when you are ready and I shall be on your doorstep

George
    Hi, George may i have a question
    There are K2S5500,S3100,4343 ,4343B and 4333 in front of me with very good price,which one is better?
    Thank you
    Martin
    46 lover

I find it interesting that the Pass crossover to the 077 doesn't contain any resistors to counter that driver's incredible sensitivity, 112 dB, and instead relies on the L- Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Is there a consensus around here on this mod? I picked up a nice pair last night and am very curious about this mod. I'm driving them with a Nelson Pass designed Nak PA7.
    I installed the Nelson Pass crossovers in my L300s a while back and they sound awesome! I splurged on Mundorf Supreme and Mundorf Silver/gold/oil caps - really incredible sound. I've been bi-amping them with a Crown com tech 800 on the Woofers and a restored Fisher x101st (12wpc el84) on the HF drivers. Combined with my Juicy Music Extreme pre the sound really blows me away win it's clarity and smoothness.

I find it interesting that the Pass crossover to the 077 doesn't contain any resistors to counter that driver's incredible sensitivity, 112 dB, and instead relies on the L- Pad.
    Whether fixed resistors or adjustable, an L-pad is an L-pad. One branch series, the other parallel. Different forms of the same animal. JBL often uses the two in stages in order to center the external, adjustable control for customer convenience. But, one is normally sufficient (I use just one, adjustable L-pad on my personal 077). Timbers has posted good info on this - recommends using fixed (internal) resistors only.

Which is best K2S5500,S3100,4343 ,4343B and 4333?

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Hi, George may i have a question
    There are K2S5500,S3100,4343 ,4343B and 4333 in front of me with very good price,which one is better?
    Thank you
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

I wish I could answer that. I think the 4343B should outgun the 4343 but I am not familiar with others...never heard them run. Perhaps others can advise?

George

Hi George,

maybe I can arrange for us to visit John and his 300's in the near future ….. I'll be in touch soon .

Rich

I think the 4343B should outgun the 4343 but I am not familiar with others...never heard them run. Perhaps others can advise?
    while i think 4343B is not so different from 4343, don't you think rather than 4343B is better than 4333

Hi Martin,

I wish I could answer that. I think the 4343B should outgun the 4343 but I am not familiar with others...never heard them run. Perhaps others can advise?

George
    George,Thank you for your advise,the seller also say 4343B has better low endthe mid and the HF of 4343B are the some as 4343,they are both alnico.but why so many people like 4343,and 4343 is more expensive than 4343b?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    the seller also say 4343B has better low end
    compared to an old degaussed alnico core

perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    compared to an old degaussed alnico core

perhaps
    Maybe,who knows
    46 lover

My L300s sounded so good stock I just replaced the L Pads, silly input terminals and the non-waxed caps. I was going to do the Nelson Pass mod but decided to pass for now. I love my mildly modded L300s. They're not perfect, but what they do right is just so wonderful I can put up with their faults. Per NP I have stuffed the ports. I run them full range with a swarm of three custom subs. Pure joy. Male voices and acoustic guitar are very realistic (Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind for example), but "techno" is just insane. "Crave" by Flight Facilities at high dBs is downright scary but oh so fun! If I tried playing this cut at these levels with my Infinities or Sonus Fabers I would be picking up the pieces in a smoke filled room. I guess I need to find some four ways in a snow drift somewhere, but for now I couldn't be happier. I have my buddy's Sonus Faber Cremonas (10K) at my house for repair. They sound pretty lifeless compared to the 300s. Much less colored, but also less dynamic and much less fun.

Fun

My L300s sounded so good stock I just replaced the L Pads, silly input terminals and the non-waxed caps. I was going to do the Nelson Pass mod but decided to pass for now. I love my mildly modded L300s. They're not perfect, but what they do right is just so wonderful I can put up with their faults. Per NP I have stuffed the ports. I run them full range with a swarm of three custom subs. Pure joy. Male voices and acoustic guitar are very realistic (Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind for example), but "techno" is just insane. "Crave" by Flight Facilities at high dBs is downright scary but oh so fun! If I tried playing this cut at these levels with my Infinities or Sonus Fabers I would be picking up the pieces in a smoke filled room. I guess I need to find some four ways in a snow drift somewhere, but for now I couldn't be happier. I have my buddy's Sonus Faber Cremonas (10K) at my house for repair. They sound pretty lifeless compared to the 300s. Much less colored, but also less dynamic and much less fun.
    Hi,
    one word that I always attach to listening to JBL speakers is "fun". I guess it really relates to the dynamics of the speakers. That combination, together with a powerful and relaxed bass is, IMHO, a JBL unique. There is one other unique... I have noticed a very definite JBL smell. I assume that itisi the glue or the lining material, but I notice it as soon as I walk into a room with a pair of JBLs running. Mind, I have only noticed this with the older models. All part of the JBL fun!

Good Morning, Audiomagnate,

When I read your words, concerning your thoughts on the L300's, I saw that you and I are of one mind when it comes to those outstanding speakers!! Every single time we listen to ours, we are stunned by the depth, the clarity, and the dynamics of them. Yes, I am in the midst of creating my own 4 or 5-way JBL system. But, in truth, both Sweet Bride and I could be as happy as clams if "restricted" to only listening to our L300's for the rest of our time here on this Mortal Coil!!! Thank you for your comments about them, and I totally agree, and could not have said it better than did you!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

JBL L300 Modification by Nelson Pass

Nelson Pass is a Legend in his own time i still use a adcom gfa555.

Thread Information