Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phono Pre-amp?

For Me, this project has been put on hold while I am hitting tax season hard. This year marked our companies 25th year in business(my wife & I started it). We are getting a significant increase in clients. It is great, but puts a damper on other activities until 4/17/12 (for Maine). Then, of course, are the non-profit Form 990's due 5/15/12. Then there are the...........it goes on, but calms down so we are only working a normal schedule.

Thank you for the suggestions. Keep them coming. As I indicated, I am not schooled in this area since the early eighties.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I have gone into vinyl with both feet (and wallet) of late and I now have direct experience with several models that have been discussed here. First up is the ProJect Tube Box II SE (and I owned the non-SE for a year beforehand). These are excellent sounding units with a good subsonic filter and loading options (SE) should you get a more exotic moving coil at some point. You can roll tubes in these and change the sound a lot of different ways. Hard to go wrong here especially if you start used. Mine is currently being fed from my VPI Classic/AT OC9 combo and it sounds sublime.

On the other side of my rack is my old faithful Yamaha PX2 which now sports a TOTL Denon DL-S1 going into a Pass Labs Xono. The DL-S1 is a .15mv cart and really needs a lot it gain to be heard. The combination has raised the bar high for vinyl and easily keeps pace - if not besting - the VPI. The Xono is a quality instrument on a level all its own in my system. Try finding another preamp with as many loading options or as much gain...not much out there.

The VPI setup holds the edge in imaging (helped by the tubes no doubt) and gets used for jazz a lot.

The Px2 has bass that gives the CD player envy and brings out details at an electron microscope level. It rocks hard.

Drop me a line if you are ever down my way Tom....you could hear a lot of combinations in a few hours...

Jblnut

Thread Information