Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best TV-Cine themes/soundtrax ???

While my favorite theme songs were the same - Route 66 (my favorite), Peter Gunn, Mr Lucky, Jan Hamer's Miami Vice work - by far and away the best music I heard on TV was from Johnny Staccato.

It was a 1959-60 John Cassavetes project, about a Jazz musician who helped out crime victims on the side. Like Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer did. The entire score was authentic, mostly original Jazz. You didn't have to wait for the credits; musicians like Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne, Pete Candoli and Red Mitchell appeared on camera as characters, playing right in front of you.

The show was short lived; it was a terrific drama for a half hour show and was not cute or funny like Peter Gunn and Mr Lucky were. Cassavetes himself was a very famous indie filmmaker before there was such a thing in the USA. And needless to say, a devoted fan of heavy Jazz. America was not ready for weekly TV this serious in 1959. I was glued to every episode, already hooked on serious drama and music at twelve years of age.

Just because I was a fan of the shows, I fondly remember the theme songs of Sea Hunt and Science Fiction Theater. I do remember that the UK series by Sapphire Films had good theme music. Think The Four Just Men, The Buccaneers, and Adventures of Robin Hood. Very entertaining shows, too. Luckily for me, syndicated and seen on mostly WGN in Chicago.

Then there was Rawhide. We all know the theme, although at this point I picture the Blues Brothers using it as filler in the club gig. Curiously, Sheb Wooley was Pete Nolan, the scout for the cattle drive. His other fame was making the hit record "Purple People Eater." A Country musician and songwriter, his wife's cousin was Roger Miller, whom he taught guitar to. Wooley penned the Hee Haw theme.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    While my favorite theme songs were the same - Route 66 (my favorite), Peter Gunn, Mr Lucky, Jan Hamer's Miami Vice work - by far and away the best music I heard on TV was from Johnny Staccato.
    thanx for the reply Clark ....I picked up the entire Hans Zimmer sound track discography , and while he tends to repeat themes, the good ones are really good ...just finished with his "Batman Returns" , it is quite reminiscent of Crimson Tide ,,,quite a scene and mood setter.

With the classical appreciators around here, I shud mention that the ST for "Amadeus" has been a favorite as has the less classical Yellow Submarine ...(George Martin was fun too) ..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I was thinking abt the ultimate cine ST and to mind came "The High and the Mighty" (ultimate at least in repetitions) ...you know ...

"The film follows the passengers and crew on an airline flight from Hawaii to California that develops engine problems at its mid-way point. While the captain (Stack) expects a ditching, the first officer (Wayne) convinces him to try to make the airport. The crew eventually nurses the damaged airliner to a safe landing where an inspection reveals that it landed with virtually dry tanks."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig..._Mighty_(film)

while nothing in the film was HIGH (except mebbe Wayne) or MIGHTY , It was a memorable* score and Oscar nominated

Hear it here ==>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjN5_cJDWHs

*would love to see a rep count.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ah. That would explain Robert Stack's appearance in "Airplane!"

I vote for the Canadian national anthem : Hockey Night in Canada (the CBC version - not the stupid TSN version)
    1968-2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFN6ET3YL1c

Closely followed by "Thunderbirds"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5IT...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I vote for the Canadian national anthem : Hockey Night in Canada (the CBC version - not the stupid TSN version)
    1968-2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFN6ET3YL1c
    Oh yeah man!!!!!

La soirée du Hockey, avec René Lecavalier. Not available anymore, now one has to pay to see it... what a shame
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Maybe I can revive this thread a bit with 2 new additions.

SKYFALL from Adele is very memorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeumyOzKqgI

On NETFLIX, the opening theme from "House of Cards" could stand alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbWcdaeYrsI

House
    The West Wing

by far and away the best music I heard on TV was from Johnny Staccato.
    I was at the record show today and ran across this, had to think back to where I'd heard about it. Will have to give it a play when time available.

Must have missed this thread first time around
    Soundtracks are about the only music I still buy with regularity on CD.

1492 Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis - probably played the most of all of mine - haunting and dramatic in equal doses
    The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
    The Fountain - Clint Mansell
    Inception - Hans Zimmer
    Dances with Wolves - John Barry - even without knowing you could tell this was John Barry's, has his signature written all over it.
    Once upon a time in the West - Ennio Morricone - love the harmonica bits
    Deus Ex Human Revolution - Michael McCann - not a movie or tv soundtrack, but a game one. Still a firm favorite.
    Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Gergely Buttinger (full soundtrack on youtube to listen - slavic origins very clear.) - also a game sound track - have a listen to nyugodt este (Calm Evening); Borgova is also worth a mention -

There are plenty of others but this will do for a start.

It was a 1959-60 John Cassavetes project, about a Jazz musician who helped out crime victims on the side. Like Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer did. The entire score was authentic, mostly original Jazz. You didn't have to wait for the credits; musicians like Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne, Pete Candoli and Red Mitchell appeared on camera as characters, playing right in front of you.

The show was short lived; it was a terrific drama for a half hour show and was not cute or funny like Peter Gunn and Mr Lucky were. Cassavetes himself was a very famous indie filmmaker before there was such a thing in the USA. And needless to say, a devoted fan of heavy Jazz. America was not ready for weekly TV this serious in 1959. I was glued to every episode, already hooked on serious drama and music at twelve years of age...
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I was at the record show today and ran across this, had to think back to where I'd heard about it. Will have to give it a play when time available.
    I've had a chance to listen to it, but wasn't as impressed as you. There were themes that were picked up by Schifrin in M.I.

DID grab another more poppy/cute ST that was enjoyable. (and kinda in the same vein/genre)

My favorite TV show theme of all time is the theme for Route 66, by Nelson Riddle.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    My favorite TV show theme of all time is the theme for Route 66, by Nelson Riddle.
    If you like Riddle and don't already have, find an early British Lp pressing of this one

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    If you like Riddle and don't already have, find an early British Lp pressing of this one
    Thanks for the tip! (I'll have to find it on CD, because I've been vinyl-free for more than 15 years.)

Thread Information