Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 077 vs horn tweeters

tesla

077 vs horn tweeters

What are the differences (sound and technical) between a 077 ring-radiator type tweeter and a more conventional horn-loaded tweeter? (Which, I take, many of you prefer)?

The 077 (or 2405) is considered an ultra-high-frequency driver. They are used to extend the range of the system which may also contain a horn/compression-driver/lens combination high-frequency driver. The UHF driver is crossed around 10kHz in 4-way systems, or around 6.5kHz in systems without horns like the L65 Jubal. The older ring-radiator 075 was frequently found crossed down to 2.5kHz range when used to augment the older full-range drivers such as the D130, but that wasn't really their comfort zone. For comparison, a "normal" JBL titanium dome tweeter is usually crossed around 4kHz in a three-way monitor or as low as 2.5kHz in a two-way.

The difference is the extra "sizzle".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

the 077 is just great!!

The 077 has great horizontal dispersion which contributes to it's great state of the art sound. In my opion it's just the best horn tweeter, no matter what kind of a horn, other tweeters use.- RUDY

Quote Originally Posted by tesla View Post
    What are the differences (sound and technical) between a 077 ring-radiator type tweeter and a more conventional horn-loaded tweeter? (Which, I take, many of you prefer)?
    Usual horn loaded drivers has a diaphragm which is 'semi-spherical' shape, while its voice-coil is mounted at "base" of it. On the ring-radiator driver type, diaphragm has ring shape, and its voice coil is mounted in the "middle of it".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by tesla View Post
    077 is a Ultra High Frequency driver. Often used from 8Khz and up.

What you describe as "conventional horn-loaded tweeter" is most likely a midrange driver (2440, 2241, 2245, 2246 etc) that requires a horn to properly load down to 500/800Hz, but those hardly go beyond 10KHz. As you can see, they are for a different frequency range.

It appears we don't actually know what you are asking... all above are true, or seem to be reasonable opinions. There are small traditional diaphragmed tweeters such as the TAD ET-703 and the newer JBL 045 Be/Ti tweeters. The TAD has a a 1.5" diameter diaphragm with an integrated horn. The JBLs have a 1" diaphragm and are basically miniature compression drivers that get bolted onto tiny horns.

The reason for the ring radiator design is that by "removing the center of the dome" it is free from a lot of the phase cancelation issues that typical compression drivers have and eliminates the need for a complex phase plug.

Widget

tesla

Well

My Widget, your right.

I was not thinking, (doh) and mistaking the mids for a tweet. As soon as I saw your comment, I remembered seeing many pics of jbl's with a horn mid, and a tweeter also, like the 077.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There are small traditional diaphragmed tweeters such as the TAD ET-703 and the newer JBL 045 Be/Ti tweeters. The TAD has a a 1.5" diameter diaphragm with an integrated horn. The JBLs have a 1" diaphragm and are basically miniature compression drivers that get bolted onto tiny horns.
    Like these...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

polar response

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Like these...
    My way of evaluating tweets is to listen and move around
    taking notes ..of polar (Vert/horiz) response while there
    actually playing

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    My way of evaluating tweets is to listen and move aroundtaking notes ..of polar (Vert/horiz) response while there actually playing
    Fascinating. My way of taking pictures of tweets is to place them on a towel and move around taking pics.Which is actually what I did. When I get down to measuring them, I'll be sure and let you know.

Fascinating. My way of taking pictures of tweets is to place them on a towel and move around taking pics.Which is actually what I did. When I get down to measuring them, I'll be sure and let you know.
    Don't trip on your camera

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Don't trip on your camera
    No worries. I rarely need a camera when it comes to measuring tweets, but thanks for your concern.

Like these...

Is this the 045Be-1 and the Everest DD66000 horn?
    I see for few weeks ago at there were one 476Mg driver for sale on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    Is this the 045Be-1 and the Everest DD66000 horn?
    That's them.

did you buy them from that famous ebay seller?

Can't wait to read your measurement and comments compared to the et703!

Thread Information