Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Different Definitions of Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    You guys are totally in the wrong. It's not the blue LED nor the thick billet faceplate that makes the amp and defines the upper most level of hifi equipment quality. Nop. It's the HANDLES. You need big fat handles. Bunch of proletarian amateurs

You may be right ..... can you set up clio and measure . probably best to grind the corners of the handles too so they don't cause diffraction .

I still think big , heavy and hot is sexy !

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I still think big , heavy and hot is sexy !
    Oh dear... do you have any idea what TiDome will do with a statement like that?

Widget

Something witty perhaps ... ? I don't want to upset him ... I'm after his guest room next summer

I have followed this thread with great interest. Am I out of line, or has this thread bacame about how thick the front panel is? Blue or green lights? The weight of the amp? Maybe I am not getting it because I don't understand all the english word here.

If I am right, I can tell you that that the front of my amps is 10mm thick, they don't have much weight, and they still weight about 35 kg each. If right, the front panel has only one light, showing if they are on or off. And they sound beautiful on my 4343B's.

Have I lost something? If so, please tell me. I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I have followed this thread with great interest. Am I out of line, or has this thread bacame about how thick the front panel is? Blue or green lights? The weight of the amp? Maybe I am not getting it because I don't understand all the english word here.

If I am right, I can tell you that that the front of my amps is 10mm thick, they don't have much weight, and they still weight about 35 kg each. If right, the front panel has only one light, showing if they are on or off. And they sound beautiful on my 4343B's.

Have I lost something? If so, please tell me. I am confused.
    is much heavy loaded with SARCASM ...
    way big joke among Amp-cognoscenti ...

Beware the poo paddlers!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry Rolf ,

I don't think this thread could ever be taken seriously ..... it was sired by a person with a slim grasp of reality .... Someone that really didn't know what he was talking about . He declared that one thing was better than another . Members with far more experience were trying to help him see that his opinions were ill informed and it became a personal attack . Another argument built on the premise of quicksand !

Many of the issues raised have been done to death . Besides , what is a world without humour ?

Rich

Yeah. Definition of quality is a moving target as everyone wll have a different perspective on the subject. There's no unique answer.

Personally I like when it is big, flashy and sports tons of knobs. Oh. And the chrome. Lots of it...

Name:  ghetto-blaster.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  161.2 KB

Maybe you should chrome the 2395's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Oh dear... do you have any idea what TiDome will do with a statement like that?

Widget
    Where's that picture Bo used to post of the big, naked guy sitting at his computer?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Sorry Rolf ,

I don't think this thread could ever be taken seriously ..... it was sired by a person...
    Personally, I'd prefer to keep it more on topic and serious.

And as a moderator I feel compelled to say there is no need to disrespect another forum member... and you can bet there are many who feel as he does. Just as you feel strongly one way, he feels strongly another. We should try to discuss our positions without assuming members of the other camp are somehow lacking in mental acuity or that they must be deaf.

Widget

What?
    Out.

Okay, I promise, that's it for this thread. No. More. Sarcasm.

I'll agree with Jeff that the amplifier class can make a difference. However, the two amps I used in my example met my criteria of "similarly competent specs" which would include same class of amp, same rated power output, same (or very similar) figures for distortion, etc. And then there's "the kicker."
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'll agree with Jeff that the amplifier class can make a difference. However, the two amps I used in my example met my criteria of "similarly competent specs" which would include same class of amp, same rated power output, same (or very similar) figures for distortion, etc.
    I think you are saying that sometimes amps from different manufacturers that are of similar architecture and both of the same class sound similar or perhaps even virtually identically. If that is what you are saying I agree. There are lots of good designs out there that don't sound particularly different from one another however there are some amps that really do stand out... both good and bad.

Widget

Oddly enough, quality is always quality. For some people though, if they do not like the product they will go on to say that it is not quality purely for the fact that they do not like the product. Sometimes, many times, people confuse quality with like or dislike.

Allan.

The closer we get to the 'straight wire with gain' neutrality the less there will be to choose between top class amplification.
    Different routes are taken to achieve the same and so audio compromises will differ hence even top class amps will/can sound different.
    Occasionally a 'budget' amp(read affordable to Joe Bloggs) will get most of things 'right' and can give the big boys a run for their money-that last few nths of excellence can cost a hell of a lot of extra cash.

The biggest effect on a system is the room and I think this is what some were getting at when they said average+ room correction can exceed top end without it.
    If you want to hear how crap high-end can sound go to a hifi show.
    I think we all at some point reach a stage where we can say "that'll do me"-it has everything I can expect without selling the kids.
    DIY and 2nd hand is an affordable route to nirvana-the important thing to remember is its only your nirvana-dif'rnt strokes apply.

Thread Information