Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Different Definitions of Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... I find both of these possibilities unlikely. Perhaps there is a third option. Widget
    Nelson's, ask him...... Oh and yes, I understand the circuit. Not only the meter circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That's like buying an aquarium without fish...
    But if the needle never moves, isn't that like having dead fish?

/Couldn't resist
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Obsolete
    You should consider a nice Crown D-75A instead of that J2. It has clipping LEDs, independent input attenuators, more power, it's smaller, lighter, less expensive, and has that subdued industrial "lab quality" look. Plus it's a good brand.
    No... it's Crown... better to just plug your loudspeakers directly into a wall socket...
    Doesn't really matter since they all look the same, and we go by looks instead of sound.
    Well yeah! One drinks alot of beer to make some of this junk look better to the detriment of ones hearing. Better that it simply looks good right from the get-go.
    But if the needle never moves, isn't that like having dead fish?

I haven't had meters since my Yamaha and Luxman days. That was along time ago!

On a related topic... why do some threads insist on becoming repositories of lameness?

I'm not singling anyone out, and I am including many of my own posts... it's just odd how some threads are simply a waste of time.

Widget

On a related topic... why do some threads insist on becoming repositories of lameness?

Widget
    OK OK...I'm sorry I made fun of the meter.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Obsolete

I'm not singling anyone out, and I am including many of my own posts... it's just odd how some threads are simply a waste of time.

Widget
    I'm guessing because all of this is a waste of time. I had to go back and read the original thread this thread came from and it was kind of lame too.

I do kind of agree with your two statements above with respect to two channel versus five channel but I think it's kind of sad about DSP not being good enough for you in the two channel domain, I'm pretty sure it's the future. I have extremely high expectations of digital in the coming years. Perhaps I'll end up disappointed, I was certainly disappointed with that DEQX pile of garbage, but the theory is outstanding. I guess it really boils down to the quality guys trumping the guys that are out to just make a buck. Only time will tell I suppose.

The new DEQX is out and its supposed to be an improvement.

Did anyone go to the CES this year? DEQX were there.

Back on topic ........

I recall the initial trigger to start this thread was the notion that a hme theatre digital wonder box with all its room correction glory would be more hifi than the simple Pass Labs amp.

Nad has a new all digital integrated amp out and Harman also has a new top line integrated amp with some DSP capability.

Of related practical experience I visited a headphone "only" retailer recently and walked out of the shop almost a convert of digital done right.

The shop owner set up a Laptop with a XYZ brand decoder and headamp with 3 different headphone sets for me to compare. (AKG Q701, Grado RS1i and Beyerdynamic T1

Before I commenced the demo he said he would do sound check. That involved conifiguring Windows not to screw up the bits and a special box was interted between the Laptop and the convertor to sort out the jitter from the Laptop USB output like the Stello U3 reviewed in the link below.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aprilmusic8/1.html

To my tin ears the sound quality of the 24/196 downloads via the $650 Grado cans was right up there with the best analogue playback and under 2 grand for the whole package.

These particular headphones actually throw quite a convincing sound stage
    http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headph...c0f2ea66eb593f

I guess the point here is that if you take the room out of the equation (digital cannot make a bad room sound good) and use digital to do one thing "right" then you can get a good result.

Widget
    Try Headfi or some strictly audiophile forums. It can take hours to find threads where BS doesn't dominate. The reasonable voices on Headfi have fled to the Sound Science forum, where you can still challenge posters claiming "night and day" and "revelatory" improvements with cables, tube rolling, wire break-in, the superiority of expensive highly colored tube amps, and such.

This place is not bad at all. Cable elevators, anyone? If it costs a lot it MUST sound better!

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information