Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Different Definitions of Quality

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    These have already been upgraded.

The driver boards are DIYTube Poseidon units.

The power supplies have been upgraded with the SDS Cap Board. No more multicap.

And there is a dual bias adjustment upgrade that allows individual bias adjustment of the output tubes.

Plus he added speaker binding posts instead of the screw terminals and new RCA input jacks and switch.

So about as fresh as a pair of 40 year old amps can be.
    cool! saves some time/trouble -- that's for sure.

[QUOTE=Ducatista47;328516]I will pile on.... Class B always sounds the worst, Class AB sounds better, and Class A always sounds best. I used to lean towards believing thisuntil myears encountered aClass B amplifier (which uses transmitting tubes) that has more sonic purity than the majority of Class A ....[quote/]

Many Superb sounding 100 Watt to 50,000 Watt AM Transmiters have used Class B modulator Audio Power Amplifiers since day one.

Do You know why transmitting tubes sound so right in Audio Amplifiers? For example, the RCA 845 & 211's , & the old RCA 50, the 26 Radiotrons & others with 2.5 volt heaters, & all the WECO Tubes like the 262-C, 205-D, 300 A & B etc __ It is very simple, all of these tubes have massive heaters with virtually Unlimited Emission.

Keven Brooks has designed superb sounding amplifiers with transmitting tubes with horrible nonlinear I/E curves.

BTW, Does anyone have experience with the superb Nelson Pass Classic, Solid-State, model 400-A amplifier__ sliding from class A mode up to Class AB mode at increasing power drive? herki[Quote]

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Even if they add in all the other watts to sweeten the deal?
    Wouldn't matter, you'd still be called an idiot for buying it. I've got a kilowatt a side of the crap, damn near broke my back carting it out of here.

Wouldn't matter, you'd still be called an idiot for buying it. I've got a kilowatt a side of the crap, damn near broke my back carting it out of here.
    I'm confused. FirstWatt amps so far top out at 25 watts, 40 watts into 4 ohms. Mine weighs between twenty and twenty-five pounds, I would guess.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I'm confused. FirstWatt amps so far top out at 25 watts, 40 watts into 4 ohms. Mine weighs between twenty and twenty-five pounds, I would guess.

Clark

First Watt is a side venture of Pass Labs. Pass Labs amps currently top out at 600 wpc and weigh 150lbs/channel. My Pass Labs jetsam is around 600lbs/channel.

First Watt is a side venture of Pass Labs. Pass Labs amps currently top out at 600 wpc and weigh 150lbs/channel. My Pass Labs jetsam is around 600lbs/channel.
    Nelson has stated that the only thing FirstWatt and PassLabs have in common is Nelson Pass. Different design philosophies, different business models, no facilities shared. Until recently, when two young relatives joined him, all FirstWatt amps were built personally by Nelson in his workshop. Both of mine were soldered up and assembled by Nelson himself. The only thing the products have in common is that they hardly ever break. In fact, in twelve years all the Firstwatt amps are still running.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Nelson has stated that the only thing FirstWatt and PassLabs have in common is Nelson Pass.
    That, and the faceplate.

Point is the same guy is responsible. You can query him vis-a-vis First Watt and Pass Labs and he'll compare.

Either way, they're laughing at you.

ETA: I get it now, I'm also an idiot for running Pass Labs instead of First Watt. Doesn't change a thing. I'd rather have my balls ripped off by a bulldozer than buy a goddamned piece of First Watt gear.

Happy?

Hi Jeff;

I'm pretty sure I read most of what put a burr under your saddle. I don't remember all of it and none of it specifically but sometimes it was hard for me to tell what was arcane and what was snide humor. Furthermore at first I had a hard time knowing if you were playing, playing along or getting mad about it, until later when it became obvious.

I will say that if I had the impeccably good taste and the means to aquire the stack of Pass that you have, I wouldn't give a moments consideration to anyones opinion as to their value or appearance since without apology I value my own opinion above anyone elses.

One things for sure my friend, the next time I come your way, be prepared to get them out again, I want to hear them and see them!

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Jeff;

I'm pretty sure I read most of what put a burr under your saddle. I don't remember all of it and none of it specifically but sometimes it was hard for me to tell what was arcane and what was snide humor. Furthermore at first I had a hard time knowing if you were playing, playing along or getting mad about it, until later when it became obvious.

I will say that if I had the impeccably good taste and the means to aquire the stack of Pass that you have, I wouldn't give a moments consideration to anyones opinion as to their value or appearance since without apology I value my own opinion above anyone elses.

One things for sure my friend, the next time I come your way, be prepared to get them out again, I want to hear them and see them!

All the best,
    Barry.
    I have a storage shed with the highest dollar per square foot value this side of Manhattan. That's gotta be worth something.

Don't forget I know where that shed is.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Talk about a pretty faceplate, I just bought 2 of these and for my money they sound really nice. As you can tell cosmetics are very important to me.
    Name:  s800 damage.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  55.5 KB

I have a lot of old junk but I think my junk sounds pretty darn good.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Talk about a pretty faceplate, I just bought 2 of these and for my money they sound really nice. As you can tell cosmetics are very important to me.
    Name:  s800 damage.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  55.5 KB

I have a lot of old junk but I think my junk sounds pretty darn good.
    I've got at least a half dozen of those Soundcraftsmen shoeboxes, and they are amazing! Congratulations! They were some of the original SS MOSFET Class H amps, and they are little dynamos. I also have at at least eight and maybe nine of the full size units, and I've got A100, A200, and A400 pairs in operation right now, along with a Pro-Power unit or two. The A Series mimicked the Al billeted front with a stamped steel design that still looks pretty good today, though close inspection reveals it for what it is.
    Out.

Here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

What a weird and twisted thread... not sure what all the talk of billet aluminum is about, but as for a definition of quality as it relates to "sound quality"... I used to have three of the Soundcraftsmen 800 series amps... a lot of amp for $100 or so. Sound quality? I think they sound better than your typical stereo receiver and a hell of a lot better than your typical AVR surround receiver, but not as good as any of the amps I have kept. I enjoyed them in my HT for years though the fan noise could be distracting during quiet passages.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    What a weird and twisted thread... not sure what all the talk of billet aluminum is about, but as for a definition of quality as it relates to "sound quality"... I used to have three of the Soundcraftsmen 800 series amps... a lot of amp for $100 or so. Sound quality? I think they sound better than your typical stereo receiver and a hell of a lot better than your typical AVR surround receiver, but not as good as any of the amps I have kept. I enjoyed them in my HT for years though the fan noise could be distracting during quiet passages.

Widget
    Yeah, the PC800s could sound like a little Evinrude two-stroke motorboat that you'd hear from a great distance on a humid, foggy fall day while wearing a knit cap over your ears. I kept them in another room for that reason. The A Series stuff is a lot quieter, inasmuch as there are extensive heat sinks and (of course) no fans at all on the A100 and A200.
    Out.

Thread Information