Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Broke my LE14H-1 Frame

Could be worse, it coulda broke your toes too.

Punch
    I could get my toes fixed

I know I know, it could always be worse, but I still feel horrible

The frame is compromised and will "never" be 100%... Sorry about the loss but it is just that. Gut it and recycle the carcas for a pack of stogies'

In order to weld the thing you would have to remove the cone, then build a jig to bolt the basket to. Once repaired the face of the basket would have to be re-machined to be flat and true, (round). All in all WAY more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Quite unbelievable that everyone wants to throw it im the bin. I have repaired disasters far worse than this and returned the item to as new condition. Maybe this is too difficult for the northern hemisphere to do, I am not sure. If you find a good metal guy, if he says no, you have lost nothing.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Quite unbelievable that everyone wants to throw it im the bin. I have repaired disasters far worse than this and returned the item to as new condition. Maybe this is too difficult for the northern hemisphere to do, I am not sure. If you find a good metal guy, if he says no, you have lost nothing.

Allan.
    In the northern hemisphere, we'd just buy a basket off eBay and save $150 over what it'd cost to cobble this piece of junk back together as a cobbled together piece of junk.

paragon

Broken frame

If this will help. I had broken the frame of my LE 10A. It was fixed with a laser welding machine in the factory i worked three years ago. I doen`t know which material he used to fix it.
    Name:  LE 10  dam.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  111.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images     

paragon

Broken frame

If you don`t know, you don`t see any difference. I smoothed the welding bead with a stone.

Allan.
    Oh my ...you had been so good avoiding the wacky statements for some time now , then ...
    what happened ??
    an attempt to start a North - South flamewar ?? or just bored ?

these are not super rare drivers ...Punch is a very busy person , I feel his pain with the driver boo-boo , but be pragmatic ...remove the motor and cone and wait for a replacement basket ..it will happen ... and take care of the active ones and mebbe that backup will never be needed..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

paragon

Broken frame

I would fix it, paint it and put a new surround on both drivers. This will be the cheapest way, but off course you may look to another driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Oh my ...you had been so good avoiding the wacky statements for some time now , then ...
    what happened ??
    an attempt to start a North - South flamewar ?? or just bored ?

these are not super rare drivers ...Punch is a very busy person , I feel his pain with the driver boo-boo , but be pragmatic ...remove the motor and cone and wait for a replacement basket ..it will happen ... and take care of the active ones and mebbe that backup will never be needed..
    It is not really a wacky statement as you say. It is an extremely well known fact that Kiwi's are quite ingenious and can pretty much repair anything back to how it was, for very little. Perhaps you could google it? My comment was a generalization, unlike yours.

It is not really a wacky statement as you say. It is an extremely well known fact that Kiwi's are quite ingenious and can pretty much repair anything back to how it was, for very little. Perhaps you could google it? My comment was a generalization, unlike yours.

so he should send it to NZ for repair ???

the last price that I could find on new LE14-3's was $279.93

assuming 20 pounds shipping weight makes $260 postage each way just to ship the
    busted LE14-1 to NZ with no guarantee of repair.

I watched them do those repairs in Asia , they also rewound coils and made custom cones
    Do they work ? Probably
    Do I want that crap in my expensive speakers ?? no
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Man, it can be fixed. If it was the only one in the world, or even slightly rare, it'd be a no brainer. If a guy had a TIG rig and a decent lathe in his garage, it'd be a no brainer. But for the average Joe, it's toast. For what it'd cost to get it welded and machined, unless you had a buddy that could hook you up, it'd be WAY more economical to just buy another driver or basket. It's not that people in this country (or hemisphere)aren't ingenious or industrious enough to fix a freakin' driver basket. Hell, I could also mine the Bauxite, smelt it, cast an ingot, machine it, and make a basket. Or I could hit eBay. Let me think about it. Yeah, I'm hitting eBay.

Speaking of industrious Kiwi's, here's a Wiki entry on a buddy of my from New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Simpson

I know him more from an RC aircraft standpoint, and have shipped him stuff before that was hard for him to get in NZ (I'm probably on some watchlist over that). Good guy and not near the nutter he's made out to be in the link. He posted a vid once of Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) driving one of his pulse jet powered cars.

Quote Originally Posted by paragon View Post
    If you don`t know, you don`t see any difference. I smoothed the welding bead with a stone.
    Hey Paragon. Nice job of keeping a frame/driver in service. Nothing resembling "cobbled" in my book. Great work! Your friend earned a beer or two for that.
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

Thread Information