Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Owner 4331A Speakers

My Kenrick lenses arrived today. As others have commented about Kenrick lenses - they look great. I snapped a photo of a speaker with lens installed. I've listened to these speakers for the past month with both Tube and Solid State systems. I'm really happy with how they perform. They seem to sound better and better the more I listen to them. Not sure if it is me becoming accustomed to their sound or if they had been sitting unused for several years prior to me purchasing them and they just needed to be used and "loosen" up. Either way - I'm extremely pleased with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very Cool !

They Look Great !

Quote Originally Posted by cjmustang69 View Post
    My Kenrick lenses arrived today.
    Great!

They seem to sound better and better the more I listen to them. Not sure if it is me becoming accustomed to their sound...
    That is exactly what it is... in most cases, even from the "professional" reviewers, the "breaking in" of speakers, caps, etc. is all about getting accustomed to the new sound, but who cares!

I've listened to these speakers for the past month with both Tube and Solid State systems. I'm really happy with how they perform.- I'm extremely pleased with them.
    They are great speakers... Welcome to the club!

Widget

Outstanding! Theres not many speakers that come close to that sound. Once you give a listen your hooked.

When you pulled the woofers...

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Outstanding! Theres not many speakers that come close to that sound. Once you give a listen your hooked.
    were they 2231A's? All others originals? Very nice pair. Try them with the grilles off. They all sound better that way in my most humble opinion.

Yes - the woofers are 2231A. The high frequency driver is a 2405, which was added to the original 4331A speaker.

I snapped this photo when I had woofer surrounds replaced earlier this year. Again - showing how much I have to learn regarding these speakers - can you tell if this is part of orignal speaker x-over or if it was added during mod from 4331A to 4333A design? I'm curious as to how properly the modification was done.

I thought I would update latest change to my JBLs. I have been wanting to get them off the floor and see what impact it would have on their performance. I had a pair of speakers stands made for them - and the stands arrived today. I just got the speakers onto stands and haven't listened to them to determine impact on sound. I attached a photo of speaker on stand. The stands are 10" high and built with angle to tilt back. Hope to do some extensive listening to them this weekend.

Cool

Those look great! I bet they sound even better. Congrats!

Yeah... very nice!

Widget

Thank you for comments regarding speaker stands. I've listened to my speakers (on stands) this evening for about 2 hours. I have them hooked up to my Adcom GFA 5802 amp and Audio Research tube preamp. My first impression is the stands have improved the performance of the JBLs quite significantly. The quality of bass is much tighter and the overall sound is cleaner - in addition to improved imaging. I've always enjoyed these speakers, but feel the addition of the stands have taken them to another level for me.

Those are really sweet, I must have missed them on CL, were they here in NC? I am sure I would have noticed them since I don't believe many JBL collectables are in this state. . I am about an hour and a half east of you and I would love to hear what they sound like some time when I am up that way. I have never heard anything from the JBL pro line except my lowly 4412A's which I listen to regularly.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

I bought these in November of last year from a Craigslist listing in Greensboro. I would be happy to have you stop by and hear them perform. Just send me a PM a week or so in advance of you coming this way and we can plan for it.

Thread Information