Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown 8" speaker

Unknown 8" speaker

Taken from a console that was on the curb, it was a cheap thing, made out of veneered presswood.
    Seemed to have a tube receiver and a turntable inside, I didn't have the space or time to take the whole thing apart so I used my trusty Leatherman to get those out...

Maybe they're crap, I have no idea, all I know is that they work and seem in pretty good shape besides some stains on the cones. Actually they look worse in the picture.

Anyone saw these (or this brand) before?Name:  IMG_3017.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  91.1 KBName:  IMG_3020.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  61.9 KBName:  IMG_3019.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  77.9 KB
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

"AGS stands for American General Supply (of Canada), Ltd. Says so on the box. They were headquartered in Montreal, Quebec. It may sound strange saying American Supply of Canada, but remember, anyone from South, Central or North America is technically American. Just here in the US we tend to use it to refer to ourselves exclusively."

Designed in Montreal, components were produced in Japan.

nice paint job on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post

but remember, anyone from South, Central or North America is technically American. Just here in the US we tend to use it to refer to ourselves exclusively."

Designed in Montreal, components were produced in Japan.

seen a canadian deny he was american a few days ago -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    seen a canadian deny he was american a few days ago
    Technically, and if using the proper terminology, the habitants of the United States should called be "United Statians".

Canadians and Mexicans are just as North American as the people living in the US. But they are NOT American if the word is used to (wrongly) describe a country.

Technically, and if using the proper terminology, the habitants of the United States should called "United Statians".
    I always liked Frank Lloyd Wright's term Usonian ... but its a bit obscure these days ...

from Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usonian

The word Usonian appears to have been coined by James Duff Law, an American writer born in 1865. In a miscellaneous collection titled Here and There in Two Hemispheres (1903), Law quoted a letter of his own (dated 18 June 1903) that begins "We of the United States, in justice to Canadians and Mexicans, have no right to use the title 'Americans' when referring to matters pertaining exclusively to ourselves." He went on to acknowledge that some author had proposed "Usona", but that he preferred "Usonia."[2] Perhaps the earliest published use by Wright was in 1927:

But why this term "America" has become representative as the name of these United States at home and abroad is past recall. Samuel Butler fitted us with a good name. He called us Usonians, and our Nation of combined States, Usonia.

Frank Lloyd Wright on Architecture: Selected Writings 1894–1940, p. 100.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    seen a canadian deny he was american a few days ago -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Well, he's Ontarian, that might explain it

Technically, and if using the proper terminology, the habitants of the United States should called "United Statians".

Canadians and Mexicans are just as North American as the people living in the US. But they are NOT American if the word is used to (wrongly) describe a country.
    North America is a continent consisting of three countries. Canada, The United States of America, and Mexico.

"Americans" come from a country known as the "United States of America"...not the "United States of North America".

Maybe you could get a Facebook campaign going to call us Americans, "USians".
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    North America is a continent consisting of three countries. Canada, The United States of America, and Mexico.
    And Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panamá, Belize, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Jamaica, Puerto-Rico and all the small countries in the Carribean region are also part of the North American continent.

"Central America" is merely a region, like the Carribean, the Balkans or the Maghreb in north africa.

"Americans" come from a country known as the "United States of America"...not the "United States of North America".
    Some dirty tongues say that the USA is the only country in the world that doesn't have a name

Anyways, the point is that we all understand when somebody say "American" this is not even open to interpretation. However I still cringe a little when I hear an American refer to his country as "America", this I confess

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    And Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panamá, Belize, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Jamaica, Puerto-Rico and all the small countries in the Carribean region are also part of the North American continent.

"Central America" is merely a region, like the Carribean, the Balkans or the Maghreb in north africa.
    So...I wonder who gets to determine what is a continent and what isn't. Europe and Asia is one gigantic landlocked island mass, yet it's considered two continents. Is there some Dept. of Landmass that we don't know about that gets to name this stuff? Is it the Illuminati that gets to do this?

And...What about the Olympic logo? Shouldn't it be seven rings now? Hmmmm?

What if we all bump together in the next shuffling of tectonic plates and re-become Pangea? Will we all become Pangeans? Will the Olympic logo become a Venn Diagram with seven subsets inside one big circle?

Stuff to ponder....or not.

And I could argue that the country itself is defined by a group of states (United States) within a vast territory that was called America, and named after Amerigo Vespucci. The first area that was discovered was the Southern part of the two-part continent in the 15th century. This is when the name stuck. The creation of the country now known as the United States of America was only with 13 British colonies on the Atlantic side three centuries later. They perhaps called themselve Americans, in opposition to Europeans, the old continent. And it stuck. But technically, anyone within the two large part of the continent are Americans. So defining the habitants of the United States of America as the only Americans was a major nonsense when the name started

But technically, anyone within the two large part of the continent are Americans. So defining the habitants of the United States of America as the only Americans was a major nonsense when the name started
    I'm afraid you'll have to take your argument to the Immigration Depts of all countries involved.

You're Canadian....from Canadia. Be proud of it.

And...What about the Olympic logo? Shouldn't it be seven rings now? Hmmmm?
    Good question, as there seems to be different interpretations of what a "continent" should be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contine..._of_continents

Canadia... I like it

looks like the 'unknown speaker' might be a pioneer -
    Attached Images Attached Images   

They don't look the same. They look similar enough to guess that they are both copies of the same Jensen.

Thread Information