Thread: AR-XB Turntable

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The AR turntable is very nice. I believe every one had the split table. The outer heavy ring really pounds that light spring suspension when being moved. The elegant simplicity of these tables, both visually and mechanically, made them a real winner in my book. the excitement of anticipating hearing the music better. Still goes on.
    Indeed, speakerdave, Linn deserves beauqoup credit for recognizing the quality of the "split table" and for bringing this gem to our attention. My apologies for having referred to the Linn as a "rip-off" of the AR's. That split platter is extremely well damped and immune to any mechanical excitation.

I inadvertently struck the edge of my work bench with the heavy outer ring detached from the platter base and the loud high-Q Ringing Resonance took more than 8 to10 seconds to slowly decay to inaudibility in contrast to dead quiet on the RA-T T.

I had assumed that RA XA / XB Turn Tables would be equipped with a typical powerful high-end drive motor, considering the mass of the RA-XA platter and a mind- set formed during many early years in Radio Broadcast Engineering where the T T is required to come up to full speed instantly after the announcer's introduction to the record.

Not so, I discovered this week that my RA is equipped with a tiny awesome H. A. Hayden Synchronous Drive Motor, rated at 1.50 Watts, that can't possibly contribute any mechanical noise to any AR Turn Table.

In 1986, I first heard the Linn on the early original huge Quad Electrostatic Speakers in stereo using the Linn "Itock Arm" equipped with extremely precision bearings that perform like "solid continuous metal" using my EMT XSD-15 Fine-Line Cartridge in a Koetso Head Shell which I had carried into the dealer's store.

I have never heard a Violin sound "So Authentic You are there & Just simply awesome!" you could hear the rosin on the bow.

Ca suffi com ca, herki[quote.
    Last edited by herki the cat; 11-30-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: NATHA

Thread Information